Grand Master
Autohaus AZ: US$15.75, no tax, but add shipping from the US: Oil Filter

Includes washers and o-rings!

Pricey to ship just one, so order lots.

Lukas

They've gone up since 2011!!! :eek: Thanks Lukas! :cool:

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, I have just used my second last filter - again I'll need to instigate some enquiries, although it seems that the high price will remain par for the course. Still, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I wonder what the price might be from MB spares (if they have them)? Then there's the freight....

Styria

The Godfather
I have resurrected this old thread in the interests of keeping the topic as condensed as possible. As a matter of interest, I have not re-read any of the posts, but I am merely adding details of my latest experiences. As you guys may recall, there were some problems in obtaining new filters, and in the process of trying to purchase some units from the States, I got stung by a fellow in Texas by the name of CHANO, possibly trading as TX Benz Hoarder, Corpus Christi in Texas. That cost me $176.00. I then established contact with a company in the UK, but they sent me M117 450 Filters. So, back to the States.

I found a company selling two versions of the 6.9 Oil Filters, with a price difference of about 60%. I opted for the 'genuine' and more expensive variety, but I suspect that they sent the 'after market' version, but charged genuine. Anyway, I left it at that. Okay, to the gist of continuing the thread.

GB showed evidence of a persistent slight leak from the filter, but I was a bit lazy in getting on top of it, until one day I decided that it was getting too much. Thanks to Oversize discovering an internal 'O' ring at the base of the filter, I decided to make certain that I would have a replacement on hand - I did have an old and unused canister on hand. I should also point out that the oil filter kit supplied (genuine), did not contain the 'O' ring, but the large one only, as well as the two copper sealing washers. When I finally drained oil and removed filter, I found that the large retaining bolt showed evidence of roughness in the area of the internal 'O'ring. See the picture attached (hopefully).

IMG_0544_zps6decd966.jpg

You can see the two bolts side by side. You will also note that the genuine 6.9 bolt is solid, whereas the replacement that I had on hand from a 6.3 engine, does have 'breather' (?) holes, and is hollow. I decided to use the 6.3 bolt in preference as there were no signs of marking on the bottom of the bolt. Questions I have are these:

1. Should it be deemed appropriate for me to have used the 6.3 bolt, and
2. Why should there be any difference in the design features of the two bolts.

Incidentally, the leak has been eliminated, and there certainly do not appear to be any oil pressure issues. Regards Styria

PvD

Mountain Dweller
Styria,
I obtained a what I believe is a genuine oil filet part No 000-180-04-09 which included the washers and O ring for $UA19.55 from MB Cassic Centre USA. Provided the freight costs can be spread over a number of items this is reasonable.
Regards,
PvD

Styria

The Godfather
Styria I've ordered a new washer and will have to wait until it arrives from Germany.... I also tracked down the 'O' ring in the picture below and have several on order. What concerns me is the wear on the bottom of the housing, where the securing bolt washer has cut into the surface. Should I be worried and risk machining it flat? I'm thinking of just putting it back on and dealing with it later if it leaks...

BTW I just bought an air powered liquid sprayer and plan to have some fun with 4L of kero!

CIMG6570.jpg

Mark, if you have a look at the bottom of the bolt - my precise reason for using the alternative bolt as detailed in my post. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Styria,
I obtained a what I believe is a genuine oil filet part No 000-180-04-09 which included the washers and O ring for $UA19.55 from MB Cassic Centre USA. Provided the freight costs can be spread over a number of items this is reasonable.
Regards,
PvD

Peter, thanks for that valuable info. To be perfectly honest, I simply can't work out what is the best to do from time to time. As you know, I have made comments regarding cost of freight, and furthermore, the cost of the filter from the Classic Centre is way below what I have just paid. Go figure - I can't. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Once I realised Ryco filter was wrong and contacted Mercedes repair business to get proper filter it was $39.00 by the way. I have looked further into it and been advised getting them is not a problem just less supply chains selling them. So Classic Centre, Mb Spares and others to the rescue. :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
After a recent oil and filter change on Silver Arrow I noticed that many seem to be missing the large retaining washer that sits above the spring. It's obviously not a critical part, but I'll endeavour to track down replacements as time permits. I bet many of these washers just end up in the waste oil drum.

Oh if you intend to do it properly, a 6.9 oil change isn't a quick process....