M273 5.5 litre - modern M-B oil change

More threads by WGB

WGB

Over the years I have often done a mid interval oil and filter change on my newer cars as the service interval can be quite a number of kilometres (eg ML270CDI - 28,000 km) although the last two petrol Benzes I have owned have had intervals of less than 20,000 and also have had no dip stick - which I found a little off-putting.

I have covered 13,000 km since the last service in my E500 and am planning a weekend trip to Carnarvon (2,000 km over a three day weekend) and on delving through the menus I found that M-B have retuirned the service interval to 25,000 km so excited about the fact that the M273 motor has a dip stick I decided on a mid interval oil change.

Yesthereisadipstick.jpg

On contacting M-B I was told that M-B Australia has ceased using Mobil 1 due to oil burning issues in AMG models and have moved to a synthetic Fuchs oil - here is the approved stuff - apparently it is Fuchs 5W40 Synthetic.

Thegoodoil.jpg

Here is the patient readied for surgery and the necessary replacements.

OilandFilter.jpg

Front cover just pulls off on it's spring clips and reveals the unmentionable bits.

Coverremoved.jpg

I purchased this original M-B filter socket in the '90's for $12 from Diesel Motors and it has fitted every car for the past two decades - unfortunately my wifes ML320 CDI has a larger filter housing than any previous model and it doesn't fit that car.

Filtersocket.jpg

Here is the latest filter kit which comes with different sized replacement o-rings. The black lines are significant as depending which end of the filter is pushed on one of the black lines needs to be at the level of the end of the plastic housing.

FilterKit.jpg

New filter and new o-rings and ready to go.

Filterassembly.jpg

And being a Mercedes there is a correct torque for the housing - 25Nm - don't think it is very critical though.

Torquinguphousing.jpg

At this stage a gentleman plugs in his oil suction extractor and has a coffee/beer/Gin and tonic.

I have done this job on my wife's ML320CDI in a suit and tie once when in a hurry and didn't get dirty( I did tuck in the tie in case it dropped into something unmentionable).

Oilremover.jpg

And here is the reason for the care - very complicated timing gear which should appreciate clean oil over the long haul.

TimingGear-1.jpg

The recommended 8.5 litres was poured in here but it still only came half way up the dipstick - it took 9.5 litres in total.

Bill

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
I never thought I'd say this being that I hate plastic engine covers, but PUT THEM BACK ON!!! Many new engines might perform well, but are just plain ugly! :eek:

Is the suction device effective at removing all the old oil? I'd doubt it as the dipstick tube doesn't reach all the way to the bottom of the sump. I'd prefer to drain it via the plug (if it has one), even if I have to get a little dirty...

OP
WGB

WGB

It does have a plug on the sump (apparently) but you have to remove a lot of undershielding to get at it.

In my wife's previous ML270CDI the plug was directly above the steering rack and was a real mess to clean afterwards - that's when I purchased the suction pump.

Apparently the vacuum method removes all but 1/4" of oil in the bottom of the sump and is what is used by the dealers.

I am sure draining it vs sucking it will get a little extra out but a few mls in 9.5 litres doesn't seem to worry the factory.

Oh yes - I have removed the shielding from five current M-B motors that I have owned over the past 10 years and they all look better clothed.:)

Bill

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I agree that the lack of a dipstick is a little off putting. That makes a visual inspection of the oil by the owner difficult.

Is there a gearbox dipstick? If the transmission fluid has been under stress, an olfactory inspection of the transmission fluid by the owner can be made easily if one is provided.

OP
WGB

WGB

I have not seen a transmission dipstick on a Benz since my 1994 124E280.

In the early naughties M-B toyed with lifetime automatic oil but they are back to 60,000 Km transmission fluid changes in the past 5 years anyway.

I believe there is a factory tool for checking transmission fluid level but it doesn't come fitted to any recent car of the past 10 or more years.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
I must admit that the lack of dipstick checking facilities is somewhat off-putting, to say the least. Then again, I suppose if one gets a three or five year warranty on a new car, you wouldn't really giva a continental as to whether or not your engine or gearbox are about to go up in 'smoke'.

However, I question subsequent ownerships and later years past warranty and how owners of those cars would feel. Also, I raise the question regarding the discontinuation of the usage of Mobil 1, especially in AMG engines. How did the factory determine that those engines were prone to burning oil, especially with oil changing intervals in the twenty thousand range ? It strikes me as 'overkill' in forcing owners of new cars always back to the dealerships.

As a matter of interest also, Bill, where did you purchase your suction pump ? I can see it as being very handy to empty out steering pump reservoirs. Thanks for your comprehensive run-down of your ownership experiences. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Tony66_au

The removal of Dipsticks is not unusual, Ford Falcons have been sans tranny dipstick for 15 plus years leaving any fill or check to a plug in the side of the Auto same as with a manual box and I believe Holden followed suit.

Engine oil dipstick removal though would concern me a tad.

Vacuum oil extractors work well and honestly leave about the same amount of oil behind as a normal sump drain plug would anyway, I used one for quite a while for the same reason as Bill, Its quick enough, easy and zero mess.

And if I could find another unit id seriously consider buying another.

If anyone casts their mind back 25 or so years Shell service stations used to have them on the forecourt, coin operated.

Tony

OP
WGB

WGB

I must admit that the lack of dipstick checking
As a matter of interest also, Bill, where did you purchase your suction pump ? I can see it as being very handy to empty out steering pump reservoirs. Thanks for your comprehensive run-down of your ownership experiences. Regards Styria

Very handy for emptying all sorts of oil fill repositories (Brake master cylinders excepted) .

From memory I purchased it from Coventry's but it took a lot of tracking down.

I still have the box it came in so will photograph it and the three tubes it came with.

It holds six litres but has a float valve in it so when it is full it just stops and from memory I purchased it about the time M-B stopped putting the sump plug washer in the filter kit and I discovered the ML 270CDI plug dropped it's oil all over the steering rack and subframe - so approx 2003.

My 2002 W211 E320 with M112 V6 had no dipstick nor did it have a dipstick tube - Just a bolt filling the entry point in the block. My 2006 ML 500 with M113 had a dipstick tube but no dipstick (easily procurable over ebay for about $35) but both did have an electronic measuring system which really had to be used cold and took just long enough to p**s you off. If you tried to use it hot you had to wait several minutes for the mandatory waiting period and usually I had lost interest.

Fortunately neither car need a top up between services for the four years I had each of them.

Bill

PS - I am still totally in love with my E500 - but of course you would never know.

Last edited:

WiSeGuYY

hey everyone , off topic but out of personal experience with my new toy the BMW X3 ( 2008) had a computer red light for lower water level , had no place to add water and had to go to the service and they had to keep it overnight to check if there was leakage before i could have it back , aperantly they do this in the new models .
my W204 C300 2010 still under 2000 km and god forbid i didn't even made any service nor the MB dealer.

REGARDS

TAREK

Tony66_au

hey Tarek, Beemers use the expansion tank to fill and top up coolant mate and it has a float (Usually red) in it to give you levels.

the tank will have a screw cap, usually black and only open it when the car is cold.

Most common issue with later BMW's and coolant warnings stem from air bubbles and cracking the cap on the expansion tank will sometimes clear the bubbles.

The reason why a few modern cars don't fill at the radiator any more is because often the radiator is lower than the top of the engine so they mount a fill point level with or higher than the engine to prevent air bubbles and allow natural air purge from the system.

Good luck

Tony

260ebenz

Master
Discussing all things oil.

My 260E is due for an oil change what is the best oil to use for my Mercedes and which is the best oil viscosity to use?

260E has the M103 2.6 straight six engine.

Cheers Tim.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Tim,
You may want to search through - http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/LCW/Toolkit.asp
You can search for recommendations. I use either Mobil 1 or Penrite Sin but there are other equally as useful oils. The main thing is regular oil and filter changes and the correct viscosity which you can find in your handbook. I would probably suggest 15-50 but there is a variety of opinion.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Thank you for that information Brian.

Currently the 260E is running on Valvoline 6.5ltrs 10W50 is that the correct oil viscosity for my model Mercedes or should I be using a thinner or heavier based oil viscosity?

In my old 1982 230E I was using Penrite 20W50 5ltrs and the Penrite oil was terrific.

Cheers.

Oversize

Grand Master
Rule of thumb is the newer the car, the thinner the oil. The tolerances are smaller, so a thin oil is required to flow freely through the bearings. They'll also benefit from the thinner oil during the run-in period, plus they'll perform at their best by not having to pump around a thicker oil which drains power. Unfortunately the older the car the thicker the oil needs to be to protect the bearings due to the greater tolerances. This also means that an older engine will loose power as a result, in addition to the likely loss of compression.

Back to the topic of the removal of dipsticks, I really get frustrated. Apart from the improved technology, many manufacturers are extending service intervals to appease fleet buyers by reducing the apparent servicing costs. I don't subscribe to the belief that engine oil only needs to be changed once a year, coolant once every 5 years (or never) & expecially not that transmission fluid will last the life of the car (yeah maybe if you update every 5 years). It seems to me MB has also seen the light, as previously indicated and returned to sevicing the transmission every 60k, (as per the requirements back in 1988 when I was doing my apprentiseship).

I continue to change my engine oil every 10k (or 6 months), coolant every 40k (or 2 years) & ATF every 60k (or 3 years). Maybe old habits die hard..... Then again, my Ford Fairmont Ghia is required to be serviced every 15k (or 12 months) & I usually half this interval to make record keeping easier. At service intervals of 7.5k (or 6 months) I tend to think I'm over servicing it a little, but 15k is too long between oil changes. The only down side is that I'm wearing out the sump plug thread, so the suction device might be handy after all... When I was working for Honda they were experiencing many problems with seized V6s (2.7L), which seemed to be a result of aftermarket oil breaking down. As a result, they only refilled them with Honda engine oil & the service interval was reduced to 5k (seriously)! :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, the story about the Honda is quite remarkable. Particularly as it involves a renowned engine manufacturer such as Honda. You would also have to think why an oil sourced through Honda should be better than oils available by way of retail.

6.9s have an engine oil changing mileage of 15,000 kilometers. I tried it once many years ago, and the stuff that came out when eventually I changed the oil was like brown syrup. From then on, I changed the intervals to no longer than six months. After I had performed the valve grind and de-coke about two years ago, I changed the oil and filter on three occasions within a very short period of time - less than six months. Regards Styria