M100 oil filters

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I priced some filters yesterday and boy what a difference between the cheapest and the dearest:

MB: $100,
Imparts: $75+tax,
Hanvic: $35+tax.

Yes the Hanvic ones don't come with O-rings (or washers), but there's no way MB can justify $65 for them! Apparently Hanvic haven't carried the O-rings for so long (probably since I last ordered them) that they didn't even know the part number or the price! And I don't know why they wouldn't carry them, as the elements are almost completely useless on their own (you risk having substantial oil leaks if they're not replaced with the element).... I was fortunate that I had the forethought to order 10 O-rings from Hanvic quite a while ago, so I just order two elements and they'll be delivered to my door today or tomorrow for around $85.

More of a concern was the fact that none of the suppliers had any filters in stock and they had to come from interstate. So judging by the lack of filters on the shelves here, how many 6.9s and 6.3s are left in Victoria? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CraigS

There is a list on the M100 site of filters for M100 engines that I compiled a few years ago.

I received an email this week from someone I know at MB Australia regarding pricing, and this is what he said:

"I know the pricing structure is frustrating, and I guess more people today are using the internet, and I can only assume our pricing will change".

For obvious reasons, I will not name the individual.

Lukas

Autohaus AZ: US$15.75, no tax, but add shipping from the US: Oil Filter

Includes washers and o-rings!

Pricey to ship just one, so order lots.

Lukas

260ebenz

Master
Oversize did you try Repco or Auto Barn for oil filters?

Prices you mentioned do seem expensive for oil filters!

Shop around and compare prices can't hurt to get more than one quote for parts.

Cheers.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I wonder now if MB confused M100 with $100!!! ;)

Tim I seriously doubt they'd carry them, but it can't hurt to try.... Ah the trials n tribulations of having a rare(ish) car!!! :p

Styria

The Godfather
I normally charge about $42.00 for an oil filter. I found out long ago that the filters came without the 'O' rings, and I bought a supply of those from an independent supplier, so that's never been a problem. Those filters, incidentally, are twice the size of normal 'every day' filters, and probably four times the size of the filter for the Gen IV Chevy engine (5.7 liters) in the Statesman. As a matter of interest, that filter trades for about $10.00 and comes all the way from Poland to be sold by the Holden dealers as original equipment or spare part.. Regards Styria

N.B. A quick word about those small in-line fuel filters for the Rover V8 - the original, from Rover, with beautifully crafted connections, would last at least ten years - yes, ten. A Ryco replacement, with lousy push on rubber fittings from Repco, would have a working life of no more than 12 months. Timing Chain - Rover original - 20 years at least, Repco 'roller' replacement - worn out after eighteen months. So you can imagine, I am not a real friend of the Repco Company.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well two filters arrived yesterday and they have the O-rings and washers in the boxes! I'll have to go back into the shed to get the brand, but I know they're not Mann. All for the grand total of $84.04 delivered, so I think I did pretty well. I'm lucky I can get these at trade prices... Now I'm off to put em on with some lovely new engine oil. :)

260ebenz

Master
Excellent news Mark if the filters not Mann what was the name of the filters?

What oil are you using?

Cheers.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm headed out to the garage today so I'll have a look. I use Shell oils now, but I wasn't a fan until I started work for Mercedes. The slightly pink tint of the fully synthetic and the slight green tint of the semi had me intrigued. I'd tried Castrol, Mobil and Penrite previously but after the Shell stuff solved a rattle problem I had in my old ZB Fairlane, I switched to Shell and haven't looked back since. Mobil 1 resembles water too much for my liking. The only problem with Shell is that they offer different viscosities but the colour of the packaging remains the same. The tinters are different now and it doesn't flow out of the bottle the same as it did when I first switched. All very confusing. I'll check the bottle and the filter brand shortly...

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well here's two pics of the filter which should explain all:

CIMG6317.jpg
CIMG6318.jpg

And the oil that I use:

CIMG6316.jpg

Not to be confused with:

CIMG6315.jpg

Or (no I wouldn't use this in a MB). I was going to use this in my Ford, but I decided against it, as it's not semi-synthetic:

CIMG6314.jpg

260ebenz

Master
Have seen both brands of filters before at my MB Mechanics he uses the same filters.

Using Fuchs oil with a 10W40 oil viscosity as per my MB owners manual the manual says to use 10W40 6.5ltrs.

Previously used Valvoline for oil changes in the 260E.

Have not tried Penrite oil or Mobil1 in the 260E for an oil change would either oil be good to use for my model Mercedes?

Isn't Fuchs oil German made and is it a good oil to use?

Mark what is the Shell oil like you are using?

Nelson Bay will have our own Super Cheap Auto store which opens in two weeks just in time for Christmas I will be buying my oil from there.

It's good to have a Super Cheap 10mins away from my place instead of a 45min drive to Newcastle.

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Timmy, be careful with Supercheap Auto. They're not always that super cheap. Of course, you can put Repco in that category as well, and I think that Burson Automotives take the cake - the priciest of all. I buy my oil from a small retailer locally, and I have been able to squeeze him a bit for lower pricing. It's funny though - eighteen months ago, I bought a battery for a 6.3 for $150.00 my price - retail $195.00. Fifteen months later, my price $165.00, retail $195.00. I decided not to question the guy, but it illustrates something, doesn't it ?

Mark, I think your choice of oil is excellent, but then again most modern oils need to be up to par. I use Castrol Magnetite, or Valvoline Semi-Synthetic, but it costs a bit. Timmy, Fuchs is certainly a German name, but the oil need not necessarily come from Germany. As a matter of interest, is anyone influenced by 'attractive' packaging of the container ? BTW, I have reason to believe that from December next year oil manufacturers will only be able to use plain olive green colours when displayed for sale on shelves. :mad: :D

Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria, talk about over-regulation! What on earth for?? How confusing will it be then?? It's bad enough now with only a couple being the same colour.... :mad:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi Timmy, be careful with Supercheap Auto. They're not always that super cheap. Of course, you can put Repco in that category as well, and I think that Burson Automotives take the cake - the priciest of all. I buy my oil from a small retailer locally, and I have been able to squeeze him a bit for lower pricing. It's funny though - eighteen months ago, I bought a battery for a 6.3 for $150.00 my price - retail $195.00. Fifteen months later, my price $165.00, retail $195.00. I decided not to question the guy, but it illustrates something, doesn't it ?

Mark, I think your choice of oil is excellent, but then again most modern oils need to be up to par. I use Castrol Magnetite, or Valvoline Semi-Synthetic, but it costs a bit. Timmy, Fuchs is certainly a German name, but the oil need not necessarily come from Germany. As a matter of interest, is anyone influenced by 'attractive' packaging of the container ? BTW, I have reason to believe that from December next year oil manufacturers will only be able to use plain olive green colours when displayed for sale on shelves. :mad: :D

Regards Styria

I believe that applies to cigarette packaging - not to motor oil.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master

Regards Styria

Thank you Styria appreciate the advice.

Plain packaging for ciggies will be plain olive green colours not sure if they will real make people quit the ciggies though??

Back to oils I use to use Penrite 20W50 oil in my old 230E it was excellent.

I have yet to try Penrite oil in the 260E either 10W40 or 10W50 is the suitable oil viscosity according to my MB manual.

Last I checked Mobil1 at Super Cheap, Autobarn, Repco was quite expensive but is it worth the $?

Cheers.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
No I wouldn't pay the extra for Mobil 1, particularly as a 6.9 needs so much (11L or so)! I wouldn't use the manual as gospel either as what's ok for a new car becomes less relevant as it gets older. I feel 5W and 10W is too thin for an older car and 20W is a little thick for an OHC engine. It'll also rob you of what power it has left.... :eek: At the end of the day whatever eliminates those horrible noises (if any) is probably the correct one to use.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Surely the MB owners manual is correct in saying the correct oil viscosity for my 260E is 10W40 or 10W50 M103 2.6ltr straight six engine?

260E has terrific acceleration the last almost 4 years I have owned the car.

I am confused now should I be using 10W40 or 10W50 or 20W50?
:confused:

Oil and filter is changed every 5,000kms.

Cheers.

WGB

I buy my filters two at a time when I make an order from Autohausaz.com.
They cost very little (around the $15 from memory)and have always arrived in a Mann box and include all the O-rings.

I use Redline 20-50 in my 6.9 (Hyperexpensive) and plain old Castrol GTX 20-50 in my 450.

Bill

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
260ebenz, I'm not saying the manual is incorrect, just that it was applicable when the car was new. Perhaps not so much now, but that's just my opinion. The ideal viscosity (and oil additive package) depends on many factors such as engine type, wear (km), sludge, usage, environment and noises. Your engine will soon tell you if it's not happy.... In your car I'd look at the 10W-40. Personally I wouldn't change the oil and filter every 5K, as I believe it's overservicing. I'd wait till 10K. But my Ford and the 6.9 were originally scheduled for servicing every 15K. Personally I think that's too long, so I try to add a service inbetween at 7.5K. If I tried sticking to every 10K on the Ford and the 6.9s it'd throw the schedule and records waaaay out and I'd have no clue what was due when. Hope that's not too confusing, as I think I just confused myself!! :eek:

Last edited: