Red-line oil

More threads by WGB

WGB

The previous two owners of my car have used Red-Line oil which as I understand is an exotic ?Vegetable oil ?Synthetic.

It runs beautifully on it and consumes no oil and produces no smoke hot or cold. Having removed the right hand cam cover it looks like it was only built yesterday - lovely and clean.

My only gripe is that it costs AUD$120 for 3.5 litres and as I am only doing 3 to 5 thousand kilometres per year and I am not a particularly hard driver the 12 litre change after a year will still cost about double what I could get Mobil 1 Synthetic for.

I would appreciate any knowledgeable comments as I am quite happy to spend the money if there is an appreciable long term advantage.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, I have come across this brand of oil sometime during my time - it reminds me of AMSOIL, an American synthetic oil, very expensive but supposedly first class.

I have only used their two stroke oil in my Husqvarna 500 Automatic I owned up to about ten years ago. The mix ratio with Petrol was 100:1 and I had occasion to pull off the head for some reason. I was utterly amazed at the beautiful fine covering of oil in the cylinder bore and the top of the piston.

I'll try and get a chance to look up the details on the Internet. Regards, Styria

OzBenzHead

Master
Sheesh - that's expensive oil!

My mechanic, and a few others I've discussed the matter with, insist that synthetic oils are less than ideal in older cars because they foam too much - especially in high-revving engines such as the Benz sixes - thus risking a drop in oil pressure (and the consequent results). According to those people, synthetics are suited only to post-1990 Benzes.

I've little else to go on but, because of the above information, have refrained from the temptation to use synthetics in my Benzes.

Perhaps they are okay in lower-revving eights?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Brother Bill,

Have you tried their website?

http://www.redlineoil.com

Their prices don't seem that expensive US$38 for a gallon.

Is the AUD$120 by an Australian distributor?

OP
WGB

WGB

The local price is $126 per US Gallon.

Although looking at their web-site they say that in low mileage classics in a dry area the oil can be changed every two years with a filter change at 10,000 km.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The local price is $126 per US Gallon.

Although looking at their web-site they say that in low mileage classics in a dry area the oil can be changed every two years with a filter change at 10,000 km.

Bill

When you think we almost have parity with the US dollar, it seems that shipping is a huge portion...

John S

Mobil 1 should be perfectly OK, you just need to use the corect viscosity range for your car, which may be a high as 15W-50. I have seen discussions and listings on other forums so the information is around.

Styria

The Godfather
I am a firm believer that synthetic oil is the better alternative of the two types. It is just the price for 12 litres of any synthetic that puts a damper on my enthusiasm for the product !

Having said all that, I recall Oscar talking about oil, compression pressures, high mileage etc. a few months ago. His 350 has done in excess of 350k's, the oil that had ever been used was your humble Castrol XL (or similar) and the compression readings on all of his cylinders I would give my left hand for. So, what's right and what's wrong ? I certainly couldn't argue the point either way. Regards, Styria

John S

The use of any of the top quality oils of the correct viscosity and rating, if is changed frequently enough with a new oil filter, would probably give similar results - in the end it boils down to what you feel safe using.

P

PeterR

I have just had my man (Serg of MercTalk Botany) put Mobile 1 5/50w which is the grade specified for the 1977 450se 116 (check the Mobile web site) The car runs quieter and smoother I think I will stick with it At the end of the day the oil doesn't cost much more than a tank of premium petrol

Styria

The Godfather
You know PeterR, I had never looked at it that way. When you then take into consideration that you may only change the oil every six or twelve months, the difference in cost between mineral and synthetic oil is easily amortized. Good thinking ! Regards Styria

John S

I believe that Mobil 1 is also available as an upgraded oil having twice the aditives to help the seals do their job, it's coded something like "Mobil 1EP" (The EP is only used as an example)

OP
WGB

WGB

As an addendum - I have just changed my diff oil and this pink cloudy stuff the consistency of thin toothpaste came out.

My heart sank as I hoped it hadn't been put in to cover something up but after changing it for some more orthodox 90 grade slippery diff oil I am pleased to say that there is no change in diff noise and all appears to be well.

Consensus at this stage is that it was probably filled with extreme pressure red-line oil with a slippery diff additive as red-line don't seem to market a "slippery diff' oil.

I am rapidly losing interest in this red-line stuff and will investigate the finer points of Mobil 1 over the next few months.

Bill