Battery Styria

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Some advice please Michel. Totality confused about the correct Battery for our 2011 Turbo C Class. Conflicting information in the Battery sites. Eg., does the Car require an AMG ( mat type ) or a standard Gel type ? Then which make/supplier ?
Thanks Sean

6.9forever

Noble
Hi Sean -
My previous C-class was a W204 C250 CGI.
During my 5 years and 100,000km with it, I had some battery issues and replaced it once.
Roadside assistance was called when it wouldn't start, and they (NRMA) would NOT sell me a battery as the guy said it wreaked potential havoc with the car's systems. Beaurepaires and others will sell you something but there was the lingering adverse concern that you didn't know what "might" happen. NRMA guy said it was their policy with this car type not to supply a battery and I swallowed the medicine, ponied up to MB and paid $500+ for the battery and $160 for "software upgrades".
Ouch.
The second time it happened I went back to see them and walked out with a new W205 C200. It was easier!
I'm still worried that with the W205, I have no spare tyre, no can of squirt, and a MOE Continental run flat on each corner that is corner (and front/rear) specific. This madness extends to their soft SUVs ...
But I love the car. I just don't want a flat (MB insurance covers one new tyre and rim per year).

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thanks David, I will just keep charging the AGM Battery once a week until i can get to the bottom of this issue. These 204 Cars (and others) have a history of Battery issues.Related to the type of charging systems. which does not allow the Alternator to bring the Battery up to 100% full.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
At last I spoke to someone who knew what he was talking about.. Ex Mercedes Service. C Class does not need a High cost AGM Battery. Benz price $500 plus. Hi quality Maintenance Free Battery from "Batteries Direct" $189. They all have a 2 year Warranty even AGM. None today will get much more than 3 years. The manufacturers hedge their Bets !

Helmet

Connoisseur
At last I spoke to someone who knew what he was talking about.. Ex Mercedes Service. C Class does not need a High cost AGM Battery. Benz price $500 plus. Hi quality Maintenance Free Battery from "Batteries Direct" $189. They all have a 2 year Warranty even AGM. None today will get much more than 3 years. The manufacturers hedge their Bets !

Must be true, I read it on the internet

Styria

The Godfather
Really in some way,Sean's story is one of disbelief, although I certainly do not question his assertions. I mean, to all intents and purposes, one would think that any manufacturer should be able to come up with a product that should be trouble free and respond without God knows how many question marks to efforts to solve problems and issues. With Gleaming Beauty (my 6.9), when a battery is due for replacement, I just go out and fit it. That's it - problem solved. The same goes for the Holden Captiva - just go out and buy a replacement, fit it and you can forget battery issues after that. Why is it that Mercedes don't seem to get it right ? Quite puzzling. Regards. Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
No Helmet, The person i spoke to was an ex technical from a Benz Dealer. He is now with a major Battery outlet. I bought the battery from another Volume outlet for some $50 less for the same product. It seems to me that today all Batteries are designed by the Cost Accountant to last three years at most. So why pay $500 for an AGM from Mercedes ???
To maximise their profit perhaps !

Styria

The Godfather
If we're talking about HUGE mark ups, try this one, without naming anyone. My son has an Enduro bike, and he needed a battery for it. The dealer/importer quoted him $150.00 for a replacement unit - I purchased one for him for $49.25 and it lasted for two years.

It probably would have lasted longer, except for the fact that he left the ignition on at one stage after he had put the bike away ! Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Mark ups.... not just Batteries. From the Internet.... Range Hood ...
Westinghouse WRH 608 1S $165 from outlet on Military Rd Cremorne. $203 from Major Retailer in Crows-nest. Both in original Factory Packaging. I use the net as much as possible Never had a problem, even from China. New Century Battery delivered today and fitted to our C 200... $203... 2 year Warranty .

Styria

The Godfather
Mark ups.... not just Batteries. From the Internet.... Range Hood ...
Westinghouse WRH 608 1S $165 from outlet on Military Rd Cremorne. $203 from Major Retailer in Crows-nest. Both in original Factory Packaging. I use the net as much as possible Never had a problem, even from China. New Century Battery delivered today and fitted to our C 200... $203... 2 year Warranty .

Sean, from China ?............D How big is the battery. $200.00 seems a very fair price. Regards Styria