300SE flat battery!

More threads by 260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
I have been cleaning & detailing the 300SE today I had the radio on and doors open not for a long period of time.

Turned on the ignition and 300SE won't start more than sure the battery is flat.

Will have to get the jumper leads out see if the 300SE will fire up.

With a 300SE W126 is there any perticular way I should connect the jumper leads?

300SE has a car alarm fitted I hope the alarm does NOT go off?!

Not sure how old the battery is John Green might be able to tell me?

Keep you guys posted,

Cheers Tim.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
i Tim with any car fitted with EFI you should use surge protected leads if these are not available it is acceptable to. Connect them on your car as positive to the battery and earth to the engine block . PS this will be in your owners manuel i just looked in the Territory manuel to confirm . Geoff:D

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
i Tim with any car fitted with EFI you should use surge protected leads if these are not available it is acceptable to. Connect them on your car as positive to the battery and earth to the engine block . PS this will be in your owners manuel i just looked in the Territory manuel to confirm . Geoff:D

Hi Geoff thank you for this info.

I just have plain ordinary red & black jumper leads I am sure they are not surge protected leads are they?

I think I have left the ignition by mistake a silly mistake I might add! but the radio has kept working but the battery is flat.

3hrs since I last turned the ignition on dash lights came up I turned the key I could hear a 'click click' noise which indicates a flat battery I assume that is correct?

I have a mate coming over to my place to help me out he has a battery charger we can charge my battery which will take 12hrs.

Remove the battery to charge it to the charger then after 12hrs refit the battery to the car and see if the battery is charged.

Keep you posted,

Cheers Tim.

Oversize

Grand Master
Car alarms put a constant drain on the battery, especially if they're not working properly. Personally unless it's a new one, I'd rip it out! They're more trouble than they're worth and if you don't have the keys and instruction manuals it'll cause drama if you choose to give your engine a steam clean. Water can get into the siren (even if you cover it with a plastic bag water vapour will get in) and then the thing will go bonkers.

If the car hasn't been used for a while the battery may've discharged and if it's only been used on short trips recently, it won't have a chance to charge up fully. Try it on the charger for at least 24hrs and see how you go. Most people assume a battery will be charged if they run the engine for a couple of hours, but that's usually not the case. It may even take a couple of days to fully charge, because they're big batteries. If it's no good after charging, get a new one.

I don't have surge jumper leads and have never had a problem. Always connect the +ve cable first. Then -ve on the dead battery before connecting the other -ve end to the charging source (another car with the engine already running). Leave it connected for 5-10 minutes before trying to crank the car with the dead battery. Disconnect in the reverse order only. If you're unable to get a good, clean contact on the battery terminals, with as much contact area as possible, you may need to try the engine block as the -ve connection instead of the dead battery -ve terminal. I usually look for the engine lifting brackets.

If you're not sure what you're doing leave it to the experts, because a fried ECU will bring tears to your eyes.... And a car fire, or exploding battery would be far worse!!!! :eek:

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Car alarms put a constant drain on the battery, especially if they're not working properly. Personally unless it's a new one, I'd rip it out! They're more trouble than they're worth and if you don't have the keys and instruction manuals it'll cause drama if you choose to give your engine a steam clean. Water can get into the siren (even if you cover it with a plastic bag water vapour will get in) and then the thing will go bonkers.

If the car hasn't been used for a while the battery may've discharged and if it's only been used on short trips recently, it won't have a chance to charge up fully. Try it on the charger for at least 24hrs and see how you go. Most people assume a battery will be charged if they run the engine for a couple of hours, but that's usually not the case. It may even take a couple of days to fully charge, because they're big batteries. If it's no good after charging, get a new one.

I don't have surge jumper leads and have never had a problem. Always connect the +ve cable first. Then -ve on the dead battery before connecting the other -ve end to the charging source (another car with the engine already running). Leave it connected for 5-10 minutes before trying to crank the car with the dead battery. Disconnect in the reverse order only. If you're unable to get a good, clean contact on the battery terminals, with as much contact area as possible, you may need to try the engine block as the -ve connection instead of the dead battery -ve terminal. I usually look for the engine lifting brackets.

If you're not sure what you're doing leave it to the experts, because a fried ECU will bring tears to your eyes.... And a car fire, or exploding battery would be far worse!!!! :eek:

Mark thank you for this info most appreciated.

Mate and I are going to remove the battery charge it up overnight and see if the battery will charge up, if not have to fit another battery.

Last battery I bought was for the 260E and it was a Super Charge battery.

Cheers.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Battery is flat we tried to remove the battery to charge it up we did not have the correct spanner to remove the battery.

Get the right spanner or the old the old saying 'the right tool for the right job'!

There is only one battery clamp and there should be two clamps, can not work out why there is only one cable and not two?

Where abouce can I locate a new battery clamp and what do they cost?

With the key in the ignition with the car in park turned the key 'click click' sound battery is flat.

With the key in ignition tried again this time selected Nuetral in the gearstick, turned the key nothing did not start the dash lights when displayed and the interior lights but the car did not start.

We also noticed there is no boot light in the boot, two wires hanging loose but no light, perhaps the light needs a new globe? very dark in the boot escpially at night.

I did notice a fluid leak on the driveway in the carport this morning not sure if it was transmission fluid or engine fluid.

I moved the 300SE out of the carport to wash the Yaris and I saw the fluid leak on the ground, the fluid on the driveway has me concerned does the 300SE have a transmission or engine oil leak?

Remove the battery charge it up see if the battery will re-charge if not will have to buy a new battery.

Cheers.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tim http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080427045755AAKm2Vv yes you can use normal leads just make sure they go on first and it is advisable to earth to the engine and the other car has it motor running. Then remove from your car first with head lights on . PS leave running for 10 minute before cranking. Trickle charging can be done with the battery in the car. If your car stereo is pin protected you will need this code to use your car stereo if battery is disconnected. Geoff PPs as stated before Tim i used to own a Taxi:D

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Hi Tim http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080427045755AAKm2Vv yes you can use normal leads just make sure they go on first and it is advisable to earth to the engine and the other car has it motor running. Then remove from your car first with head lights on . PS leave running for 10 minute before cranking. Trickle charging can be done with the battery in the car. If your car stereo is pin protected you will need this code to use your car stereo if battery is disconnected. Geoff PPs as stated before Tim i used to own a Taxi:D

Thanks Geoff.

I have the code for the car stereo a previous owner or someone has written the code inside the MB Owners Manual most important thing is I know what the code is.

Like I said the fluid leak on the driveway in the carport has me worried.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tim thats a relief to hear . Sorry about the fliud leak hope all is good . If you are concerned about jump starting YOU CAN TRICKLE CHARGE WITH THE BATTERY STILL CONECTED IN THE CAR AS IT DOES NOT PRODUCE A LARGE VOLTAGE SURGE. Geoff:)

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Hi Tim thats a relief to hear . Sorry about the fliud leak hope all is good . If you are concerned about jump starting YOU CAN TRICKLE CHARGE WITH THE BATTERY STILL CONECTED IN THE CAR AS IT DOES NOT PRODUCE A LARGE VOLTAGE SURGE. Geoff:)

That's right about the code for the stereo Geoff!

Will investigate the fluid leak.

John may I ask were you aware that 300SE had any fluid leaks either transmission or engine oil?

Cheers.

Oversize

Grand Master
Tim try to stick to one subject at a time! New subject = new thread. That way we can all find the info during later searches. Otherwise it'll be very difficult to find it again! There shouldn't be any oil leaks Tim if it just passed an inspection. Start another thread for this...

Mate there should only be one clamp. All you should need is a 13mm ring/open ender, 10mm deep socket on a 3/8" drive with extension piece and a large blade screwdriver to spread the terminal clamps. There MUST be two cables + and -. The +ve is often hidden under a plastic cover to prevent it earthing on metal objects.

Charging a battery in the car can be done and might be more desireable with an alarm fitted. If you don't turn off the siren or alarm and you do disconnect the battery you'll be faced with an ear shattering noise! And it's possible the radio code isn't correct which will cause more headaches, so changing in the car is an option. Without an alarm or coded radio, charging in a car is best done with at least the -ve terminal disconnected.

When charging loosen the filler caps (if possible) and make sure the electrolyte is at the correct level. It should be at the bottom of the indicator tongues. Overfill and it will leak everywhere and corrode everything it touches. Too low and you risk running a cell dry and wrecking the battery. Don't know what I mean = call a professional!

Headlights on Motec?? What on earth for??

Tony66_au

Its supposed to buffer any surge (Headlights on) on disconnect but its a hangover from the old days of generators and early alternators with electromechanical relays.

Pretty much a non issue these days unless your diode pack is sus.

Personally if the battery is more than 12 months old id buy a new one for the peace of mind.

WiSeGuYY

Hi TIM , the 300SE is a wonderful car but works on elevctricity most circuits need good battery , since you just bought the car you don't know the state of the battery , as i understand from your post the lights of the cabin and the radio is on , the click click noise can be for many reasons OR for flat battery so with do respect allow those steps before any attempt.
1- try to use a cable for test the +and - if it sparks hard it means the battery is ok -if not it means it is dead .
2- if battery is dead try first to charge asour experts said -take it out and charge for min of 12 hours till it is full enough to run your car till closeset electrical pro to judge if the battery is usable or need a new one - in this case you need an 88 amp battery i do prefer dry battery like VARTA ( i donno what you have in AUSTRALIA but there are too many brands) don't forget to check the DENAMO ( which charge the battery) probably it just need maintenance .
3- if your battery is sound and denamo is ok too then you better check your starter bendex ( MARCH as we call it here) might need again maintenance ( which is normal for cars this age -usually a professional will run this jobs in couple of hours and your car is good as new again.
P.s TIM if JOHN GREENE is not from same city as you are then don't bother calling him for running maintenance on your car - it is very nice one indeed and well kept but it will need maintenance once in a while .

OIL LEAK - please put the car on hoist and try to locate where it comes from it could be again anything , engine, automatic, break or power steering fluid .
most times it is seal who give up and need to change.

REGARDS

TAREK

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Tim - batteries do die and sometimes they do so without warning.
If you are a member of the NRMA I suggest you call them and they will both assess and fix the battery situation as well as test the output from the alternator.
Do NOT check the state of the battery by bridging between the terminals.

Your fluid leak needs to be investigated and fixed - once you have the battery sorted you can take it to you local mechanic for a check.

It is likely to be a very minor issue. However, check the engine oil dipstick to make sure you have not been loosing an excess amount of oil - it's unlikely that you have lost oil but check to make sure, anyway. If you know how, then also check the transmission fluid. Check the reservoir for the brake fluid to make sure there is fluid and also check your radiator in case you saw coolant on the floor.

All cars have issues from time to time so don't be disappointed - you can easily get all of this sorted out. Remember it's not a brand new car so expect little things to come up from time to time.

Regards,
Brian

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Removed the battery and it's on the battery charger.

300SE has a NRMA battery!

Battery left to charge for 12hrs.

If the battery does not charge I will have to buy a new battery, what's the best battery to buy?

I can't move the car because no battery to start the car and I can not see what colour the fluid leak is on the ground.

Fingers crossed it's only a seal that is causing the leak I will take the car ro the Mechanic on Tuesday so he can see where the leak is coming from.

Checked the oil dipstick oil level is fine, have not checked the transmission dipstick.

To check the transmission dipstick I need to be able to have the engine running well with a flat battery I can't do that at the moment.

Wait and see if the battery charges.

Cheers.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It's a bit early to be thinking about a new battery until you have it checked out by an autoelectrician. Yuasa, Supercharge, Exide, any of the good brands. Just avoid a cheap one. If money is no object then maybe an Optima? I can't recommend a Bosh given my current experience with one in the Spirit - it was expensive and has poor recovery. On the other hand, I have an NRMA battery in the ML and it's fine. I guess you can be lucky or otherwise.
It's important though, that you get the charge rate of the alternator checked out to ensure it's OK. Most mechanics can do that for you.
You might also want to fix your boot light so that if the wires are live they don't touch and create a short. If the wires are bare and close together, wrap the bare section in electrician's tape until you get it fixed.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
It's a bit early to be thinking about a new battery until you have it checked out by an autoelectrician. Yuasa, Supercharge, Exide, any of the good brands. Just avoid a cheap one. If money is no object then maybe an Optima? I can't recommend a Bosh given my current experience with one in the Spirit - it was expensive and has poor recovery. On the other hand, I have an NRMA battery in the ML and it's fine. I guess you can be lucky or otherwise.
It's important though, that you get the charge rate of the alternator checked out to ensure it's OK. Most mechanics can do that for you.
You might also want to fix your boot light so that if the wires are live they don't touch and create a short. If the wires are bare and close together, wrap the bare section in electrician's tape until you get it fixed.
Regards,
Brian

Thank you Brian.

Battery has been fitted to the charger for two hours.

Fluid leak is a black colour which indicates a oil leak I have left a sheet of newspaper under the car.

Oil seal may have perished causing the oil leak but the fluid is a black colour.

Silver metal sump guard under the car does is where I located the oil leak and there is also noticed black fluid around the oil drain seal hence the oil leak.

Cheers.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Thank you Brian.

Fluid leak is a black colour which indicates a oil leak I have left a sheet of newspaper under the car.

Oil seal may have perished causing the oil leak but the fluid is a black colour.

Silver metal sump guard under the car does is where I located the oil leak and there is also noticed black fluid around the oil drain seal hence the oil leak.

Cheers.
Hmmm - crawl underneath and check that the sump plug is tight then.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tim if money is no object Optima is a great battery used them in my sound off cars when i was competing . They are a Gell Cell battery IE no fluid and can be mounted anywhere.:D

Helmet

Connoisseur
Thank you Brian.

Cheers.

The sump is silver/alloy? Maybe you have cracked it on something ?