Battery Life

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well recently I've been trying to charge a number of old maintenance free (MB specific) batteries that have been sitting is cars (terminals connected) for sometimes years. These things can be up to $300ea so there was a fairly high desire to resurrect at least a few. But no dice...

I have two full size chargers and each one refused to flow any current through the batteries, even after many hours on the high or low current settings. I wondered if the plates were getting coated with debris and this was eventually shorting them out internally. I thought I might be able to save a battery by draining the electrolyte, flushing and refilling with fresh acid to regain an electrical circuit. However the maintenance free ones prevent this type of procedure.

In the end I called Battery World and asked why I was having so much trouble. They stated that after a while the acid eats away at the plates, if they're always in a state of discharge. This can sometimes be evident by the case expanding or bulging. Basically there's nothing that can be done once a battery reaches this point and you have to buy a new one. However I was told that regular charging at least ONCE A MONTH can ensure the battery lasts more than a couple of years. If you get more than 5 years out of a battery you're doing very well.

I also tried charging the battery for my Buick, which I just discovered was 13 years old (it still looked good)! I was using a trickle charger on that one for a while, but it seemed to have a dead cell. Attempts at proper charging for many hours had all cells but one bubbling slightly and warm to touch around the outside. Frustrated, that battery was also sent off to be 'recycled'.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
My last 6.9 battery lasted 7 years, but only drove the car average 2,000 klm / year.

Charged it in situ with a bench toroidal ring charger weekly. irrespective of how often (or not) I drove the car.

Moral? Never let the battery off full charge.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, if you need full sized 6.9 batteries, I can supply them for $215.00 each, with a three year warranty. They could be put in the car that you may be interested in. Worth a thought.

BTW, when a battery is dead, it is dead. No amount of tickling :D will bring it back to life - at least, that's been my experience. Incidentally, I am talking of SuperCharge brand battery. At the price quoted, that is a substantial discount. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
My last 6.9 battery lasted 7 years, but only drove the car average 2,000 klm / year.

Charged it in situ with a bench toroidal ring charger weekly. irrespective of how often (or not) I drove the car.

Moral? Never let the battery off full charge.

You used a what charger??

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Mark, if you need full sized 6.9 batteries, I can supply them for $215.00 each, with a three year warranty. They could be put in the car that you may be interested in. Worth a thought.

BTW, when a battery is dead, it is dead. No amount of tickling :D will bring it back to life - at least, that's been my experience. Incidentally, I am talking of SuperCharge brand battery. At the price quoted, that is a substantial discount. Regards Styria

Sounds good what model battery??

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Quotes for 100 amp/hr battery for ML.
NRMA = $385.
MBS genuine= $445.
My last genuine battery lasted 10 years. The NRMA battery will just see out 3 years before it dies.
The choice is a no-brainer.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
My 6.9 has a Bosch battery. Good Better Bosch .:D

Styria

The Godfather
Sounds good what model battery??

The brand name is SUPERCHARGE - the warranty period is three years, and it is the largest battery suitable for family sedans such as the 6.9, also 450. Its rating is (terminology has changed a little) 88 amp/hours in the old language. Don't worry, the price is certainly right, and not a thing wrong with quality - up with just about the best of them.

I recall some 6.9 owners paying in excess of $300.00 fifteen years ago. As a matter of interest, the 6.3s take the next size down as there is not enough space for the 6.9 type battery in the under bonnet section. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Quotes for 100 amp/hr battery for ML.
NRMA = $385.
MBS genuine= $445.
My last genuine battery lasted 10 years. The NRMA battery will just see out 3 years before it dies.
The choice is a no-brainer.
Regards,
Brian

I assume the 10YO battery was the one originally fitted? I wonder if the MB replacement will last as long?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I assume the 10YO battery was the one originally fitted? I wonder if the MB replacement will last as long?
In my experience they have - and have been Yuasa made in Japan and branded by MB. It's relevant that most companies make products at different quality levels and it's not just the brand that is important but the specifications of the build.
So many batteries sell solely on low price and the only way you can get low price is with low quality.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, with your real life experience, are you able to tell us which brand of battery is of inferior quality ? Supercharge, Yuasa, Delkor, Century, Apollo, or any others ? Additionally, how does manufacturing quality differ from one maker to another ?

I ask this not to create controversy, but purely to guide me at future times with the advice you might be able to provide. In my experience, I have had absolutely no problems with Supercharge or Delkor, but Apollo have been disappointing. Regards Styria

N.B. Years ago, I used to buy Yuasa labelled batteries from a supplier at Silverwater. They showed me the various labels that they would attach to the same battery - Bosch, Century....all the same, just different label. Just recently, I bought a small motorcycle battery for a Husqvarna 450 four stroke at a cost of $39.00 - it was obviously a small battery at that price. The equivalent size Yuasa from the Husky dealer was priced at $150.00. I might add that in six months the cheap battery has given no trouble. Additionally, a battery I supplied to Michel's Red Terror probably some two years ago is still starting the car without problems - I think.

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
In my experience they have - and have been Yuasa made in Japan and branded by MB. It's relevant that most companies make products at different quality levels and it's not just the brand that is important but the specifications of the build.
So many batteries sell solely on low price and the only way you can get low price is with low quality.
Regards,
Brian

Very true! In a similar vein to the thread on vehicle resale values, I'm quite prepared to spend double the purchase price if the device lasts twice as long (or more). A well engineered product is far more satisfying (ref MB!! :D). The real test is whether the 'expensive' product will go the distance since today's cheaper alternatives are getting better

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I never liked Exide batteries which in my experience are inferior to other brands. Century are expensive for what you get and their warranties are shorter than others. I like Yuasa but they're often hard to find

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria wrote: "Hi BenzBoy, with your real life experience, are you able to tell us which brand of battery is of inferior quality ? Supercharge, Yuasa, Delkor, Century, Apollo, or any others ? Additionally, how does manufacturing quality differ from one maker to another ?"

My response -
The best experiences I have had are from Yuasa and Century - in Australia they are the same brand but I think different prices and different quality.
By far the longest lasting has been Yuasa made in Japan and branded MB but they have given no warning when they are about to die. Great on one part of the trip and stone dead when you go to do a hot re-start.
Bosh Silver in the Spirit was a total dud. It died a week after the warranty expired and Bosch would not accept any responsibility.
A friend of mine has done his PhD in battery technology and now does battery research for the CSIRO - in his view most automotive batteries are low quality made to a low price and doomed to failure because of that. Maybe he's right?
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

sean sherry

Master
I think he is right Brian... but everything today is built down to a price.
A throw away Society where it is cheaper to replace than to Repair.
But that is another subject on its own.

Styria

The Godfather
I never liked Exide batteries which in my experience are inferior to other brands. Century are expensive for what you get and their warranties are shorter than others. I like Yuasa but they're often hard to find

Mark, believe it or not, Excide Batteries got the same label treatment as the other brands........Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
I suspect the quality of consumables like batteries and their longevity will start to increase, and their price, accordingly with the cost of disposing of them. The waste industry is growing in step with the reduction of landfill sites.
It is now AT LEAST $110 per cubic meter to dispose of general waste to land fill. More if you hire a skip.
NSW tip fees are $350 odd per tonne, QLD is $50 per tonne for ground waste so the big players are investing in $500,000 grinders and trucking waste to QLD:eek:
I recently had a big clean up at my factory to rid myself of 30 years of useless stock, obsolete machines and general rubbish, cost me about $3500 in waste removal fees! And that was with free scrap metal disposal.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
It doesn't help when the price of scrap steel has plummeted. Once you could get $400ish for a junker and now you're lucky if they'll take it away for free. Many merchants are getting out of the business and from what I've heard it's due to less demand from China