Styria's 6.9

More threads by c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I was able to take Styria's 6.9 for a drive today. I have driven plenty of M117 engined cars before (450s, 560s etc) but the M100 is in a league of its own when it comes to torque. Regardless of speed or gear you have instant accelleration on tap and instant throttle response.

I suspect the throttle response is also attributable to it being the high comp motor as that seems to be the difference between the high and low comp 450s too.

It was a particularly impressive automobile and I could see it being a great high speed cruising car.

Suspension was quite supple even with the high profile tyres. Owning a DS there is a lot of similarity except the DS dives and squats more on acceleration and braking and is a bit softer.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That's it with 6.9s. There are truly in a league of their own.
In as far as suspension, they have mastered the lack of diving and squatting that Citroen was notorious for.
I recall test-driving an XM and getting almost sick at the continuous dive when brakes were applied and the pull back when the brake pedal was released after full stop.

But coming back to the grand 6.9.
It is truly a car in its own league!

Styria

The Godfather
It's gratifying to know that Bryce, a very keen and experienced owner and driver, actually had the opportunity to at least appreciate one of the 6.9s qualities - and that is the remarkable torque of the engine. We would probably have covered a distance of some twenty kilometers, albeit with traffic and speed restrictions that needed to be observed, he was not able to appreciate another quality of the 6.9 - high speed cruising.

I know that even just holding a steady and stationary throttle, the gradual pick up in speed entirely at the behest of the engine starting from about 2300 rpm up to maximum torque of 3000 rpm is something that needs to be experienced. By the time you reach 3K. rpm, the engine will the just keep on accelerating rapidly up to much higher speeds. As I said, one has to go past normal suburban speeds to reach that secondary stage. In my opinion, a true Supercar of the seventies.........and eighties. Just as an aside, although I have mentioned it in previous posts, the high compression engine as in Europe and England, certainly sounds completely different to the Australian version, and also goes harder, with better economy. About 3mpg difference in fuel consumption. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
I recall reading, in yesteryear, that Mercedes could do with steel springs and S/abs what Citroen had done with their expensive to produce suspension system. For me a Mercedes always was head and shoulders above anything else in the compromise between Town and Country driving.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Actually, the max. quoted torque in my current car is only 20 Nm shy of the max. torque in Syria's 6.9, except that it is at higher revs.
5 speed quick shift gearbox and 300kg less to drag around also help.
5.4 secs 0-100 km/hr quoted on Wiki.

A decent 6 speed Holden will still see it off rather easily.
I have been in a 325 kW Holden, and they have quite savage acceleration.
Also rather fun in a 455 cubic inch Chevelle, that is owned by my former boss; (not much class, though :D)

Styria

The Godfather
Actually, the max. quoted torque in my current car is only 20 Nm shy of the max. torque in Syria's 6.9, except that it is at higher revs.
5 speed quick shift gearbox and 300kg less to drag around also help.
5.4 secs 0-100 km/hr quoted on Wiki.

A decent 6 speed Holden will still see it off rather easily.
I have been in a 325 kW Holden, and they have quite savage acceleration.
Also rather fun in a 455 cubic inch Chevelle, that is owned by my former boss; (not much class, though :D)

Tell them the model, son, tell them the model. You have good reason to be proud of your car, and some of the mods you have already carried out to make it a better car. Better still, start a new thread - TK not only allows you to do it, but also encourages the practice of other models and even other makes. Witness Rovers......Regards. Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Some folks know my current car, some don't.
After 15 years in my ownership, my 6.9 is now owned a new owner, who I know is going to love it and take good care of it.

My wife died 4 years ago, my new car is just that, but I kinda of look at as
'pet car', just as most appreciate a well loved dog or cat. Only in my case with a new lifestyle, I am not home very much. A car does not suffer from separation anxiety such as a well loved dog may do.
So I have a pet car.
"Tell them the car, son!"
What car?

A black 1998 w210 E55 AMG.
Fully documented history, with less than 100,000 kilometres.
Nearly faultless, but that fault will be easily fixed soon.

Last edited: