Flat Battery

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Here we go again,,continual flat battery was eventually sorted by Mercedes when the 2010 C Class was 3.5 years old. Been ok:eek: for the past 5 years. currant battery is less than 2 years old. There is a currant draw with everything off over night. Heater fan motor was running once with everything off ??? I will have the battery tested this morning ....but where to then ?

Patrick_R

Grand Master
For new parasitic loss, is there anything new you have added, or modified to the cars electrical system? Eg alarm, radio LED’s etc?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes , but I can't see a connection .. I had to add an additional earth wire to the rear light cluster abou one month ago. All is ok with the Car's functions. I will go out now and disconnect the cluster just to be sure .

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
If I were to take into account of all the issues about the electrics in various mercedes I would just sell the 204 C Class. The C Class is simple compared to all the High End Models.. these must be a nightmare to sort when in trouble. A neighbour had such a Car a couple of years ago and was plagued by Flat Batteries. He took a $100,000 hit after Two and one half years and bought a new Jaguar !` Maybe I should get another Toyota !:confused:

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, it must be totally annoying. As you know, I have my 450SEL 6.9, and I bought a Super Charge battery probably two and a half years ago. Admittedly, the car has hardly been moved save for a couple of trips - one over to Michel's for our GTG. The battery is disconnected most of the time with the car being stationary.

For twelve months now, Gleaming Beauty has served as a mule to test hydraulic components that are sent to me, and also I have tested units on hand for onward sale. We have started the car, and run it for short periods only, at least two hundred times. I have charged the battery once as a precautionary measure. It starts 2nd or 3rd revolution (so to speak) each and every time, it has never flooded or fouled plugs, does not blow any black smoke, in other words, its tune and all other components must be just about perfect. I guess, when compared with your car, the 6.9 is a simple car, devoid of all the "electronic" goodies and is simply a pleasure to own. I guess it would be nice if you could say the same about your C-Class. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Well it is not what you know, but who you know.... I had a chat with Graham, the Workshop Manager at Mercedes Benz.... now near the Airport. There is no magic bullet to trace the flat battery cause. Just one fuse at a time until you find the circuit that is causing the battery drain. Time consuming and costly in Labour charge. This i can do myself, and then hand over the Car with this information to the experts to identify the Unit that is not switching down and replace it. If it is a S.A.M. Module ,it has to be programed to the Car by Mercedes. $$$$$$

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Like a modern mobile phone, a modern electronic car NEVER goes completely to sleep, UNLESS the battery has to be replaced. Even my 20 yr W210 and W202 are like this. The implication of this is that
there is ALWAYS a small current drain on the battery, even when the ignition is switched off and the car garaged.

I drive my W210 only about one every three weeks. To get around a battery drainage problem, I trickle charge the battery about once in every 4 to 6 days, with a modern toroidal ring battery charger.
(You may say, I kid my car, that it is being driven regularly, about once per week.)

As some of us may remember, I went to Europe for 3 months (Aug Sept Oct 2018).
In this case, I fully charged both batteries, then immediately disconnected them, so that they had reasonable charge on my return, and to save them from total discharge and remain flat, which can severely shorten their life.

I was warned before I left, that some of the electronics systems in both cars were not going to work, unless the cars' electronics were re booted, like a computer. THAT indeed, proved to be the case. A re booting procedure can be found on the Internet, and was followed.

With careful battery charging maintenance, I am able to get around 7 years life out of a standard medium quality battery, even with cars that are driven a lot less than the manufacturer envisaged.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
sean:
From what I know about lead acid batteries the life of them is best maximised by keeping then fully charged - all of the time. You would know much more about this subject than I would.

Given that that there is a current draw in a normal situation, even when the ignition is switched off, then perhaps
there may be too much current draw in the case of your car.
Compare the current draw of your car with an identical model. If it is greater in your car, it follows that there is a current leakage somewhere. Ask a tech who is familiar with your model, if the current draw is greater than it should be.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes, the current draw is high as the Battery went flat overnight. This is a once of, as it has been ok for years since Mercedes sorted this same problem under warranty.
This morning I will hook a test light between the negative terminal and the battery , then pull each fuse until I see the light go out. That is just the circuit,
then I have to find where the leakage is coming from in that particular circuit.
May not be that easy, as on the Fuse Chart, some items list up to five different fuses in a particular circuit
. It has been suggested that I go back to my roots , a 1950 Morris Minor with just two Fuses !

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Yes, the current draw is high as the Battery went flat overnight. This is a once of, as it has been ok for years since Mercedes sorted this same problem under warranty.
This morning I will hook a test light between the negative terminal and the battery , then pull each fuse until I see the light go out. That is just the circuit,
then I have to find where the leakage is coming from in that particular circuit.
May not be that easy, as on the Fuse Chart, some items list up to five different fuses in a particular circuit
. It has been suggested that I go back to my roots , a 1950 Morris Minor with just two Fuses !

My traction is for sale, with only two fuses. :D

Even better go to a brass era car with no electrics at all. Ignition by Magneto and acetylene lamps.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My traction is for sale, with only two fuses. :D

Even better go to a brass era car with no electrics at all. Ignition by Magneto and acetylene lamps.

Sadly it is no longer possible to drive into a garage and exchange you acetylene lamp for a new one ready to go with a new wick. Progress be damned.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Neither do one of these.
And they thought plug in electric cars were new!
No magnetos and no parasitic loss.

Early 1900’s Detroit Electric.

Note the tiller type steering.

910162-D7-018-C-4-E0-A-A64-F-866-E5-E500493.jpg

A9-A430-AB-4947-43-AE-9855-1-E6-E0-C5-EB298.jpg

C4-DAC434-26-A0-4-EE9-A248-F1-EA1766-B6-C0.jpg

D75414-AE-295-B-4-DBB-BC94-640-E07-C01-BD8.jpg

3-E1-EB781-3-BEA-4-B16-9793-C91-AF23-A5-E9-E.jpg

661-FEA68-9302-468-C-8-DCE-97-D98-C924-E13.jpg

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I was thinking of buying a second hand Cugnot steam carriage. :D
I am pretty sure that they never had magnetos.
I have seen the rebuild of the Cugnot in action at Arts et Metier. Without brakes there was some difficulty in stopping it and hence there was a loud bang as it slammed into the wall.
I have never had any problems with a battery; usually I get up to 10 years from one.
Regards,
Brian

abl567

Super Moderator
I've found the same, with the exception of my ride on mower, it's had 4 batteries in 10 years. Granted they are the size of a car radio and only $100.
I've put 1 battery in the Hilux in 10 years and 2 in the 6.3 in 13, and it is not driven daily and occasionally not for months.
The most robust battery I own is a Gel deep cycle monster I bought for $100 on a whim. It weighs about 35 kg and is meant for off shore boats. I can leave it without a charger on for 12 months at least and it will still test 13.5V and spin a starter as fast as you've heard.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
The biggest killer of Batteries is heat.
Ford even went to the trouble of putting a shroud around their batteries with a cold air intake next to the radiator to keep the battery cool.

I’ve always noticed that any cars with boot mounted batteries, the battery life is always exceptional.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Too soon to celebrate ... I hope not !!
I fitted a varta agm battery this morning and after 5 hours no drain. Varta are oem to mercedes. When i asked mercedes to check their records as to how they eventually fixed the same issue when under warranty 5 years ago, the fix was a new mercedes battery.
The sparking when touching the battery cable to the battery post has gone . A sight for sore eyes !!!!!!!:d a BACK EMF OF SOME SORT, I KNOW NOT.

Styria

The Godfather
In this instance, no spark is a comforting sign that all is well. Other than fitting the new battery, did you check any other electrical functions ? I would have thought that if you had a spark before when connecting up the battery, you should still have the same issue(s) evident previously. For your sake and comfort, I hope this nuisance of a problem is now sorted. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Great news Sean.
Sounds like the problem is sorted.

Speaking of batteries and the modern car and truck world.

Any batteries that are replaced in any Volvo truck, needs to have an approved part number and authorisation code submitted to the truck ECU via a laptop before the truck will recognise it and allow ignition.

Any genuine Volvo battery can just be connected, and it talks to the truck instantly for connection.