A Steyr For Styria

More threads by motec 6.9

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, it's remarkable that you should mention the Steyer, and me liking it. I recall in the mid fifties when that company pitted the Steyer, or the Haflinger as it was known in those days, against the icon of WWII, namely the jeep. On a specially prepared proving ground, they paired the two vehicles against each other, and it was ludicrous how the Haflinger had it all over the jeep. I can't quite recall the full details (what did I know at the time), but I suspect the haflinger had a two stroke engine, and was quite small and lithe in comparison with the jeep.

When I was in Graz, Austria back in 2005, I went to the Mercedes Dealer to have a poke around and I came across this vehicle (amongst others of course)

P9230061.jpg

...although my favourite for proper off-roading would be this Unimog.

P9230062.jpg

They come in all shapes and sizes, as well as configurations for probably dozens of tasks. Incidentally, in case no one knows, both the SLS AMG and the AMG G-Wagon are assembled at the Puch factory in Graz. It is the second largest city in Austria with a population of about 230K. - almost the same as fifty years ago. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria i drove a steyr years ago at a place called Captains Flat in NSW on a farm . There was also a Centurion Tank driven that day . Yes they will go anywhere. The Unimog is pretty cool driving around Duntroon that was a lot of fun . But to feel like you can move anything go the Oshkosh

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, I have seen the Oshkosh at a show at Darling Harbour - a wonderfully looking machine, really looks the type of machine that could go anywhere, but at a price. I wonder if we could drag up some pictures and specifications somewhere along the line.

Getting back to the Unimog, it is incredible the modifications that can be implemented for the various tasks they are capable of. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If we're talking about the Steyer, there are a couple more pics that I managed to snap at the dealership in Graz.

MikeNo2039.jpg

A shot of the busy, but functional interior - somehow, I just like 'industrial designs, boats and trains and planes.......of course, this is just a car...

MikeNo2042.jpg

Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just getting back briefly to off road vehicles, and Unimog, the following pictures to some extent illustrate the diversity of the Unimog. Again, all pics taken at the dealership. The following is an Army vehicle.

MikeNo2030.jpg

The next two or three of the orange Unimog - I think it was a council vehicle. Take note of the complexity of accessories, and the truck like fittings of the running gear.

MikeNo2029.jpg

MikeNo2028.jpg

MikeNo2027.jpg

MikeNo2026.jpg

Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
So what's the top speed of a Steyer and the Unimog?? And they both made by MB?

Interesting pic of the hydraulic gas cells. They look like rechargeable ones....

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, stumbled across this picture (post) just now - I can't tell you what top speed they would achieve, but I reckon somewhere near the 80 km/hour mark. The reason why I have dug this up relates to the hydraulics. Sure, there is no doubt that these are pressure cells, possibly controlling the suspension level. However, and however, just take a peep at that square little alloy block - is that not a dead-ringer for the regulating valves on our 6.9s ? Uncanny, isn't it.....and let me tell you, I have seen plenty of these little square suckers over the last few weeks. I'll elaborate more on that matter some other time. Regards Syria

N.B. Reckon on the Unimog being manufactured by MB, and the Steyr by Steyr Puch in Graz, Austria - probably in the same plant where they assemble the bodies of the SLS AMG.