Styria's Rover

sean sherry

Master
Who amongst us watched Wheeler Dealers sorting out a P5 Rover ala Styria's current project. No trouble getting the Steering Box over hauled. Try finding some one here. They were spoiled for choice ! Also plenty of mechanical parts in the wrecking yards. But rust free does not exist over there. You win some , you loose some.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Yeah they have done some quite interesting cars over the years. I wouldn't call what they do restoration but they do quite a good job of explaining what they do. The sales guy is a bit of a pillock at times but it is quite a watchable show.

Seeing this show and spending some time at the RROC with Styria where he explained all the different models prompted me to buy this book which is quite good:

51j1BlXRwtL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I've always loved the shape of the Rovers, not to mention their opulent finishes.
Always wanted to own a coupe version, but never had the opportunity :(

Styria

The Godfather
It's fair to say that James Taylor, in most ways, is the ultimate in authority to write about Rovers. There are two or three other books dedicated to the marque as well, also been penned by him.

I really like the picture on the front of the book - lovely colour and it lends elegance to what is quite an imposing, yet finely balanced, shape - in spite of its brick like front appearance. It is a Mark IIA or IIc characterized by the thin stainless steel strip along the sides. Depending on colour, and from some angles, the height of the doors can lend a somewhat cumbersome look to the appearance, and later models have a much more prominent stainless strip. It may be evident in the other thread. C107, I am thrilled to bits that you should take such a keen interest in these P5Rovers. Much maligned, yet can be a beautiful car. In due course, I am hoping to post further pictures. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
British Cars in particular, even my MGA ( inc.Rovers) are not set up to be frisky, as perhaps Italians are. Some good advice from a Ford Engineer was to reduce the Camber and increase the tyre pressures. Reverse the front and rear tyre pressures, higher in the fronts. Made a very noticeable difference to my MGA. On our C Class I run higher fronts, and on the MK V11 FWD Golf, same back as fronts, plus 10%. But maybe the Rover can't be adjusted without a welding torch? Worked on the Pre & Post War English Fords that were out of wack. :D:)

c107

and 111/116/124/126
C107, I am thrilled to bits that you should take such a keen interest in these P5Rovers. Much maligned, yet can be a beautiful car. In due course, I am hoping to post further pictures. Regards Styria

Yes please do. I think there are plenty of cars that have been overlooked by the serious collectors but were either groundbreaking, or had some really interesting characteristics or a sense of occasion that set them aside from the pack.

The P5 coupe does this for me as the four door coupe shape is really striking and set a trend that has been copied numerous times. It also set a benchmark for a luxury saloon that wasn't in the RR price range. Even better the prices today are such that people still actually use the cars as cars.

separately I find the IOE engine rather interesting as they were able to take what was basically an obsolete technology (side valves) and create something that worked quite well and had a character of its own.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Collectors ( Hoarders ) I just don't understand them. For me if it does not work properly and is not used on a regular basis, then I don't want it hanging around. I may have mentioned before that a distant neighbour has 5 desirable Classic Bikes from 1934 on, sitting in a damp shed rotting away. He will never do anything with them except prevent someone else saving them. Plus rooms and other sheds filled with all sorts of other junk.

BenzBoy

Grand Master

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Collectors ( Hoarders ) I just don't understand them. For me if it does not work properly and is not used on a regular basis, then I don't want it hanging around. I may have mentioned before that a distant neighbour has 5 desirable Classic Bikes from 1934 on, sitting in a damp shed rotting away. He will never do anything with them except prevent someone else saving them. Plus rooms and other sheds filled with all sorts of other junk.

There is a W116 on carsales like this.
There are some quite nice pictures, but in the description it says they are from the cars heydey and it has been stored for many years and is now in poor condition.