Styria's European Transport

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
When in Austria and Germany, do what the folk do there - and that's to drive a Diesel powered car. I am, quite happily, limited to driving a 6 year old Citroen Xsara four door, and it is fitted with the almost obligatory 1.9 litre Diesel four, in this case non-turboed.. There are so many 1.9 variants about the place, and it seems the ideal four cylinder configuration.

I used this little car when last in Europe, and three years on it shows absolutely no signs of 'tiredness' at an indicated 118,000 kilometers.

Mind you, Diesel technology has come on in heaps and bounds even in the last three to four years, and some of the turbo direct injection variants are absolute crackers these days. You don't need V8's - certainly not in Europe, and their economy is outstanding. Getting back to the Citroen. It really can be considered to be a 'slow coach' and overtaking, whenever feasible, is an eloborate exercise in judgement as far as oncoming traffic is concerned. But, it is happy to cruise at 120 and that'll do me. I get my kicks out of watching the fuel gauge - 900 kms. to a 40 litre tank, but what I most admire about this little beast are the steering and roadholding. Take your hands off the steering wheel, and it just goes STRAIGHT. Go around corners, and you're not fighting anything - neither over nor understeer and you will not pick it to be a FWD vehicle.

It has far less power than an 170 'A' class Benz, but certainly outhandles it and is a better steering car. Yes, it's a little beauty. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If you are enjoying a non-turbo 1.9-litre diesel, then imagine what it would be like with a turbo version.
They are simply little rockets, especially in a manual form.

Diesel, the Turbo version, is the way to go ....:p

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, I don't necessarily enjoy the lack of power with this car. Let's face it, it is now 'old hat' technology it is saddled with but it appears to be just so bullet proof.

As I have indicated to you in earlier days when you were kind enough to run some details on the C4 2.2 litre Turbo Diesel Automatic, it would be my choice as an everday car were it not for the fact that Oz country in some way just does not seem to fit that type of car - however, don't ask me the reasons for this statement, as I haven't any. It would just seem to be more at home in Europe. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
That last post was back in 2008 and I certainly have to eat my words. Oz country nowadays is home to many 2.2 litre Turbocharged Diesels fitted to many SUVs, particularly the Koreans. In fact, a number of SUVs and Sedans have reduced capacity back to 1.5 and 1.0-1.1cc turbocharged Diesels. Although having said that, I suspect most are Petrol powered versions. Maybe Michel can shed a bit more light on my statement(s). Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have nothing to complain about with the diesel engine in the E-Estate. 2.5 litres and twin turbos means it eats hills with ease, goes like a scolded cat and 1 month into ownership I can see the fuel gauge is still just a tad below full. Into the bargain it is one of the smoothest cars I have ever driven and for a party trick parks itself either 90 degrees or parallel. White dogs and black carpet though are not a good mix.....
regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Daughter's Hyundai I 40 Wagon Turbo Diesel top of the line Leather, Sat Nav, Reversing Camera, around Wollongong.
Best factory Sat. Nav. I have ever seen so clear and detailed.
A revelation with 120Ks. Every bit as good if not better than our W204 C Class Sedans. Drives like a sports car, with not a rattle or a squeak.
Bought with 37 Ks for about the same money

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well C107, that's quite amazing. I found that the Citroen was peaking out at about 150 km/h, and we were urging it along at that speed - you know, when you're riding a horse and you're geeing it up. There was very little left in the Citroen. The turbo version was considerably more sprightly, but it used more petrol. With the standard 1.9 version I managed 1000 kms. on 40 litres of Diesel. Quite remarkable because, remember, that was in 2005. Old technology by today's standards. Regards Styria

c107

and 111/116/124/126
The car I had was a 1.6 with a six speed manual:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Sadly, diesel is on the way out in cars with the advent of hybrids and EVs.
Within a few years it'll be outlawed in Europe and then reseach into more refinement will cease totally.

sean sherry

Master
Sadly, diesel is on the way out in cars with the advent of hybrids and EVs.
Within a few years it'll be outlawed in Europe and then reseach into more refinement will cease totally.
Then little wonder the local refineries are jumping Ship and switching to being storage facilities

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Gents,

I had a brand new (less than 300 k on the clock) Kia Carnival or GUV (Grand Utility Vehicle) as their marketing is calling it given to me by Hertz last week in Victoria, and the diesel in this was just magnificent.
From my trip from Tullamarine to Hallam in fairly bad morning traffic, it still averaged 4.5L/100k and that is for a vehicle that is 2082kg Tate weight with only a 2.15L Diesel with an 8 speed automatic transmission.

Oh,
And it really gets up and boogies for a really big vehicle.

This, as Michel mentions is a very refined, and probably the best that can be engineered from this technology and this quite small capacity.

I use this when talking to big truck fleets and their management.
“We no longer need big capacity engines to pull/haul big payloads, we now need smarter powertrains of moderate capacity that will also deliver better economy”
(Let me know if anyone is interested in our demo truck with Bowral, that has a 7.7L engine, where boreal was previously using between 9-11L engines)

This smaller capacity engine and it’s 8 speed transmission is the perfect example of a “smart powertrain”

What a shame these will be phased out by backward thinking governments.
New diesels that use Adblue & DPF’s are exceptionally clean.

Maybe if the European car manufacturers had some forward thinking, and not just pumped low tech, high particulate emission diesels by the millions onto the roads, the diesel may have a better (and much deserved) past & and Styria’s fond memories of driving a great diesel can continue well into the future.

In closing,
As I mentioned, electric cars may not produce emissions from the tail pipe, but how the power is generated to charge these vehicles is where the bad or better emissions are produced.
This is a vital point, that government’s choose not to talk about.
Just as long as cars driving in a city are not pumping out bad exhaust emissions.

Here is the new Carnival.
3A5FCA88-B94F-4CE4-9053-566428020E61.jpeg

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Fully agree mate.
This new one is massive inside, and carry’s 8 still with a massive boot area.

Great if you wanted to start a airport shuttle service in luxury.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
We have twins and my wife is part of a group called multiple births. There are plenty of people with triplets, multiple sets of twins etc and the Carnival is a pretty popular with that group, especially for people who want to buy new - the 7 year warranty is pretty compelling.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I agree totally with Pat.
On the smart powertrain and on the Carnival!
I had the new Kia Carnival for testing in late January and it was a pleasure to drive, almost the same characteristics as a large SUV except for the leaning on corners, where you know you're driving a van and not a sports car.
I could live with one of those anytime.;)

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Great point Bryce.
Very popular with big families and yes, Kia started all this big warranty, good on them for that.

Michel,
I too could easily live with one, I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I thought I would.
Very sweet ride indeed.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Gents,

I use this when talking to big truck fleets and their management.
“We no longer need big capacity engines to pull/haul big payloads, we now need smarter powertrains of moderate capacity that will also deliver better economy”
(Let me know if anyone is interested in our demo truck with Bowral, that has a 7.7L engine, where boreal was previously using between 9-11L engines)
I forgot to reply to this amazing offer.
I'm interested ... very 😁 at your convenience.

sean sherry

Master
My understanding is/was that these Mini Vans, converted to carry People, are commercial Vehicles and do not have the strict safety requirements of 5 Star Passenger vehicles ??