Rover just for styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
With a car like that, as with all old cars, condition is the most important.
Performance helps, but it is not the main thing.

My brother in law bought seven Rovers for $700 in a job lot. He had them all on a property near Buladelah, but two were lost in bushfires, before a shed could be built for them all. He did a lot of necessary work on the remaining five, and sold three of them for around $2000 each. That was about 20 years ago.

He went on to get a concours winning Lotus Elan 2+2, and now has 3 Mazda MX5's. Man, that Lotus drove like it was on rails!

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The 200TC is a lovely cruising car - I toured parts of Tasmania in one early last year and it was surprisingly good - but noisy. The Classic Throttle Shop is not shy when it comes to asking for a high price.
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have to agree with Tony.
The 2.2, while might be ok to tour Tassie or drive about, is the equivalent to having a 6cyl in a W116 versus a V8.
Nothing like a 3.5 in one!

Styria

The Godfather
A very interesting car on a number of fronts. First of all, thanks to Motec 6.9 for finding it in the first place. As Benz Boy says, the price is substantial with some unusual features, but also some curious, shall we say, untruths at worst, or talking up at best. Heated rear window, those front headrests, wire wheels - very rare. Mind you, the last named, unless in good condition, can cause no end of grief.

Forget the radio, dipping rear mirror, parcel shelf mat, all standard. Fog/Spot lights, a buyable extra, as is the rear "fog" lamp, and the overriders are standard. What is not standard is the Rover 2000TC badge on the boot lid - is it a 2000 or is it a 2200 as claimed ? I tend to think that the car has a replacement 2200 engine, as judged by the ribbed rocker cover. I believe that the 2.2 litre motor was not fitted until 1972, to cars with the plastic 'egg-crate" grille, and stainless steel body strips running the full length of the car.. Also note the DOWNTON inscript on the stainless sill panel - do Downton Engineering in the UK fit in somewhere along the line ? Hard to know what's dinky-di and what's not.

Tony, don't be too harsh on this 4 cylinder model. Sure, the V8 has plenty more get up and go, but chassis wise, and location of engine/gearbox assembly wise, the smaller engined car handles far better and is not nearly as nervous. By the time the P6 body was fitted with the V8, I think the manufacturing dies were tired, because the suspension arms located to the firewall needed shims to get the geometry right. Also, the sheet metal in the Rover sourced panels and chassis, as opposed to the Leyland variants, were stronger and comprising of a thicker grade steel. All in all, this is a nice car, well talked up and presented in a splendid manner. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Tony66_au

The Wire wheels would need regular checking as the buggers go out of round if not checked, had em on a Jag and nice as they looked they were a pain and got replaced.

I drove a similar car for 4 months with the 3.5 and what i believe was an aftermarket 4 speed and it drove very well, I lived in the Dandenong ranges at the time and spent a bit of time on dirt and the sealed roads (25 years ago) left a lot to be desired as well and I found the car was very nice on all surfaces.

It was a local car and had recently had the front end and all bushings done with original rubber units (I think nolathane kills older cars) in prep for a roadworthy which I completed with tyres, a screen and electrical issues.

Compared to the GT Hunter it replaced the Rover was far superior and I didnt find it nose heavy or suffering from understeer although I ran pressures at 35PSI on the front and 28 rear which made a nice difference.

The balance was nice and I did hoon a bit on dirt although it helped to keep a full tank of fuel and I experimented with weight in the rear at one stage adding 20kg cement bags to the boot.

The car actually towed well too and I have to admit to dragging a car trailer on occasion.

Sadly she was rear ended hard parked outside a girlfriends place.

As far as English cars go the Rover was probably the best all rounder with a Triumph Dolomite being my 2nd choice but this car was far from original.

As a manual I could see the 2.2 being a fun commuter but out of place on Aussie roads.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Styria

The Godfather
Tony, the P6 Rover had excellent suspension - particularly, the sliding tube De-Dion rear suspension with the inboard disc brakes. Even on gravelly surfaces, you could just about take off on full throttle and you'd get almost no wheel spin. I must admit, far superior (at least in that regard) to anything that Mercedes produced - certainly, in the 108/109 range. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tony and Styria yes the classicthrottleshop does ask rather high prices for cars but genaerally they appear to be in nice condition never having driven a p6 i dont know how they handle but i have driven a 3litre and tragic as it is i owned 4 sd1's at one point in time what can i say for all there faults i liked them :eek: