250SE Cab for Styria

More threads by motec 6.9

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I could comfortably cope with having both cars in my possession. As a matter of interest, Helmet, how do you recognize (possibly) that the gold one is a chop top ? Price ? Obviously, I guess if it was genuine, it'd fetch more money.

The second one is extremely well known in Mercedes Benz circles. Yes, it's been a concours outright winner a number of time, and I have reason to believe that the owner was at one stage president of the MB Club in Canberra. I hate to say it, but at the asking price, it would appear to be good buying......and Tony, those cars don't need any kind of V8. Helmet, as a matterf of interest, with the experience that you undoubtedly possess, have you heard of adverse reports about the 2.5 litre engine in days gone by ? Anyway, I just love both cars. Regards Styria

WGB

My understanding is that the 250 motor being a stretched 220 motor is two main bearings short of a load - as well as providing relaxed progress.

My reason for this comment on main bearings is that I managed to run a set in a Ponton 220S in 1973 and always thought this was weak point of this motor.

The 280 motor came with 7 main bearings instead of five afaik.

I do love a convertable in that model but the 350 Coupe is a more modern driveable alternative.

Bill

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Helmet are these more to your liking http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car25.html http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car17.html :D[/QUOTEgret thanks

Well, I could comfortaNbly cope with having both cars in my possession. As a matter of interest, Helmet, how do you recognize (possibly) that the gold one is a chop top ? Price ? Obviously, I guess if it was genuine, it'd fetch more money.

The second one is extremely well known in Mercedes Benz circles. Yes, it's been a concours outright winner a number of time, and I have reason to believe that the owner was at one stage president of the MB Club in Canberra. I hate to say it, but at the asking price, it would appear to be good buying......and Tony, those cars don't need any kind of V8. Helmet, as a matterf of interest, with the experience that you undoubtedly possess, have you heard of adverse reports about the 2.5 litre engine in days gone by ? Anyway, I just love both cars. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Helmet are these more to your liking http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car25.html http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car17.html :D[/QUOTEgret thanks

Well, I could comfortaNbly cope with having both cars in my possession. As a matter of interest, Helmet, how do you recognize (possibly) that the gold one is a chop top ? Price ? Obviously, I guess if it was genuine, it'd fetch more money.

I've seen this car before when it was for sale in Vic last year, ( pretty sure it's the same car).
IMO the 250 engine seem to always be more troublesome than a 220 or 280. No real reason for it as the design and manufacture process should make it similar , maybe they were always driven harder .

Cheers from Thailand

WiSeGuYY

Hi HELMET ,

I didn't understand what chopped roof means , in my eyes it is a w111 cabriolet -convertable 2 doors like yours so i was not familier with the remark .

REGARDS

TAREK

Styria

The Godfather
If I remember correctly, the blue car came with a white roof - the white roof feature seemed to be peculiar (and desirable) for cars going back to '60s.

Regarding crankshafts - five main bearing crank vs. seven - it is an interesting anomaly, observation ? Not sure how to put it. I came across this situation with the Rover P5 3 litre sixes. Up to 1964, they had a five bearing main crank, but the following year they changed the block to accept a seven crank. Those models were known as the Mark IIc and Mark III, but the Coupe that I always owned was a Mark IIa. What I found was that the seven bearing crank engines were dead smooth, but had no revvability, and fuel consumption also sufferd to the tune of about three miles to the gallon. I have a notebook in my possession from a previous owner that could only obtain 19.5 mpg on the open road - that was with an automatic. My manual Coupe with the five bearing crank, albeit 4 speed with overdrive, gave 25.0 mpg on trips. Allow about three mpg (worse) for an auto, and you can clearly see the difference.

There was another story that concerned Aston Martin, Le Mans and Stirling Moss, but maybe that's for another time. However thus, I wonder how all this translates to 220/250 and then the M130 2.8 litre engine fuel consumption wise ? Does anyone know ?

Bill, my personal preference are the 6 cylinder engines when compared with the V8 engined Coupes. Main reason relates to the interior - it's just that bit nicer. BTW, if anyone wants a brochure on the Coupes, I do have some original ones - not to give away (sorry), but to sell. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi HELMET ,

I didn't understand what chopped roof means , in my eyes it is a w111 cabriolet -convertable 2 doors like yours so i was not familier with the remark .

REGARDS

TAREK

Chopped roof is what it means literally.
It's when you cut the metal roof of a coupe and turn it into a convertible.

Styria

The Godfather
....what if the conversion is professionally and faithfully to factory spec. executed ? No ? Any thoughts on fuel consumption, five vs. seven bearing crank ?

The story regarding Aston Martin and Stirling Moss at Le Mans. The factory provided him with a car that had a five bearing crank fitted. The other Asto entrant(s) had engines with the seven bearing crank. The idea was for Moss to run the opposition off their legs because the seven bearing crank engine was not as fast, but puportedly more reliable.....and that is exactly how it turned out. Moss' car packed it in after several hours, enjoying a substantial lead. The other Aston(s) finished the race, and may have won it, but I can't be sure of that.......and that, my friends, is a true story as told by John Wyer, at the time the Competition Manager at Aston. Regards Styria

WiSeGuYY

SORRY HELMET , i don't agree that all converted COUPE is a process of ruining the cars, i personally was involved in transfer a w108 to replica RED PIG ( body work at least ) all last year ( the result not reached yet) and i hapen to see online another project in EUROPE ,i don't recall where exactly, but using same technic as the metal and body maker.
BTW when the ORIGINAL RED PIG was done , AMG was not belong to MERCEDES BENZ and no one claim they ruin a respected w109 and it was top of the line ( if we exclude the 600) .

NOW AFTER MANY YEARS MERCEDES HAD TO BUY the AMG although they try differenttuner including COSWORTH .

Few years ago i saw a MERCEDES BENZ in UKRAINE - KIEV tuned by ABT and it was gorgiuos , ABT is tuner specialized in tuning AUDI .

REGARDS

TAREK

Helmet

Connoisseur
SORRY HELMET , i don't agree that all converted COUPE is a process of ruining the cars, i personally was involved in transfer a w108 to replica RED PIG ( body work at least ) all last year ( the result not reached yet) and i hapen to see online another project in EUROPE ,i don't recall where exactly, but using same technic as the metal and body maker.
BTW when the ORIGINAL RED PIG was done , AMG was not belong to MERCEDES BENZ and no one claim they ruin a respected w109 and it was top of the line ( if we exclude the 600) .

NOW AFTER MANY YEARS MERCEDES HAD TO BUY the AMG although they try differenttuner including COSWORTH .

Few years ago i saw a MERCEDES BENZ in UKRAINE - KIEV tuned by ABT and it was gorgiuos , ABT is tuner specialized in tuning AUDI .

REGARDS

TAREK
I

I was referring to cutting the roof off a car to make a convertible . The chassis on cab w111's is totally different to the hardtop version. When the roof is chopped the whole structure becomes weak and does not feel good to drive .

WiSeGuYY

Hi HELMET , Thanks for taking the time to explain , now i agree totally with what you mean.

safe trip home from THAILAND.

REGARDS

TAREK