For Sale; Styria's 6.9

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
As most of you would be aware, my partner and myself have bought a Statesman to take the place of my Astral Silver 6.9. Incidentally, I previously listed the car in this section, but due to some computer glitches, the thread was removed. This, unfortunately, also meant the removal of some posts by various members, and to those sincere apologies are extended. It was for no reason other than computer problems.

So back to the car. I bought her just on five years ago in hail and coin/screw driver damage, and that's never been rectified. The car comes with spare bonnet and boot lid, both in 2 K-primer and ready for painting. What makes this car a stand out dynamically speaking is its smotth and beautifully balanced driving behaviour. It will come with 12 months registration from 22/09 and the firm price is $6600.00.

Items replaced during the time of my ownership and that I can readily recall:

Rebuilt steering boox and steering pump.
New triple core radiator on exchange.
New engine and gearbox mounts.
Brakes front and rear excellent'
Suspension working beautifully - hardly ever looses height.
Water tight and no water leakages to the interior.
All rubbers (doors, screens etc) as new and no cracking.
New front screen-has small chip now - repairable.
New Dash pad and heater flaps re-foamed.
Small amount of rust in some areas - but NOT basket case.
Great interior - carpets 80% leather 75% Timber 99.9%

Okay, some pics. to show what this is all about. Will not bring car to BBQ as I am only five minutes away. However, presently, it is kept at my storage shed some 25 kilometers away.
Copy3ofCopyofCopyofmercedesbenz--2.jpg

Copy3ofCopyofCopyofmercedesbenz-100.jpg

Copy3ofmercedesbenz-100years349.jpg

Copy3ofmercedesbenz-100years354.jpg

All wheels, incl. spare, in excellent condition.....

Copy3ofmercedesbenz-100years351.jpg

Copy3ofCopyofCopyofmercedesbenz--7.jpg

Now to the interior and trim - you be the judge...

Copy2ofmercedesbenz-100years347.jpg

Copy4ofCopyofCopyofmercedesbenz-100.jpg

Copy2ofmercedesbenz-100years348.jpg

Copy2ofCopyofCopyofmercedesbenz--1.jpg

Copy3ofmercedesbenz-100years344.jpg

Copy3ofmercedesbenz-100years345.jpg

Copy3ofmercedesbenz-100years346.jpg

Copy2ofCopyofCopyofmercedesbenz--1.jpg

Copy3ofCopyofCopyofmercedesbenz--4.jpg

It would please me no end if it was to go to a good home - she's been such a wonderful servant. Whilst I am more than happy to help and advise, there can be no warranty on the purchase. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice Unit Godfather.... and the price is certainly right....
Only if I wasn't running out of space.....

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Nice Unit Godfather.... and the price is certainly right....
Only if I wasn't running out of space.....

Hi Michel, as you know, that's the car Jerry has quoted me to straighten the body and carry out full body repair and painting. Believe it or not, I already have on hand one litre of Spies Hecker 2 - pack that I mixed myself (I still have the formula) which I was going to use to create a two tone finish on this car. Alas, money just does not allow me that luxury, but what a beautiful car it would be then.

In my opinion, MB never marketed the 6.9 properly, and that is reflected in today's lack of collector's values. A single colour finish could have been an option rather than the other way round, and they could have done a few other things as well. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Michel, as you know, that's the car Jerry has quoted me to straighten the body and carry out full body repair and painting. Believe it or not, I already have on hand one litre of Spies Hecker 2 - pack that I mixed myself (I still have the formula) which I was going to use to create a two tone finish on this car. Alas, money just does not allow me that luxury, but what a beautiful car it would be then.

In my opinion, MB never marketed the 6.9 properly, and that is reflected in today's lack of collector's values. A single colour finish could have been an option rather than the other way round, and they could have done a few other things as well. Regards Styria

What would be the 'other' colour to make it two-tone?

Lukas

That does look like a nice car, and I would say is on par with the ones I have for that price (which I though were very good value). Is the odo 112,000km? How much was the quote for the body repairs?

I should add, I'm just curious - I ran out of room a while ago, not to mention the folding. Then again, silver would go with blue and gold nicely:) Then there would be enough for an official-looking convoy too. If this car is still around in Jan next year, might a certain race car driver be interested?

John S

For a non-leaking dry 116 I think your current asking price is good value, for a 6.9 it seems great!. It's a pitty I don't have the room or the money.

SELfor50

That does look like a nice car, and I would say is on par with the ones I have for that price (which I though were very good value). Is the odo 112,000km? How much was the quote for the body repairs?

I should add, I'm just curious - I ran out of room a while ago, not to mention the folding. Then again, silver would go with blue and gold nicely:) Then there would be enough for an official-looking convoy too. If this car is still around in Jan next year, might a certain race car driver be interested?

Hahaha... I couldn't take a nice examply like that and turn it race-car.. My goal from now is to find a 6.9 as a keeper. When my engine goes (if it ever does, touch wood it won't) then i'll look at swapping the heart for something newer or possibly a 6.9 engine..

If I had the coin i'd be pretty keen to snap up Gleaming Beauty's stable partner!! :(

abl567

Super Moderator
Hahaha... I couldn't take a nice examply like that and turn it race-car.. My goal from now is to find a 6.9 as a keeper. When my engine goes (if it ever does, touch wood it won't) then i'll look at swapping the heart for something newer or possibly a 6.9 engine..

If I had the coin i'd be pretty keen to snap up Gleaming Beauty's stable partner!! :(

Drive a 6.3 first:cool:

SELfor50

Drive a 6.3 first:cool:

Exsqueeze me? Ahhh Bakin' powder? Did you say you'd let me take your 6.3 for a spin on Saturday?? :eek: ;)

Tell ya what, i'll let you have a spin in my 1974 toyota crown (1 owner car) and I get 1 lap (around sandown) in the 6.3?? :D ...a man can dream can't he?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, sorry for not replying sooner. First of all, the Astral Silver would be replaced by one of the late Mercedes Benz BRIGHT SILVER colours as I have never been terribly fond of Astral Silver. Secondly, the two tone colour would be similar to Mercedes MB 905 which is one of the best BLUES you will find.

If you have a look at the "FROWN" thingy to your right, and perhaps mix it with the "REPLY" tag, you have a colour that's very similar to what I have mixed up.

It then becomes a question of what colour to put where. In the interests of keeping the job relatively simple, the Silver would still be the main colour - that way you don't get involved in a full colour change which can be very time consuming.

With the Blue, it would involve Roof, Boot and Bonnet, and the separation point would be BETWEEN OR FROM THE FIRST CREASE UPWARDS - so, in other words, I would not separate the colours in the conventional spots, such as roof only on 108's and 109's, or down to the trim strips that run the length of the car. In my view, it needs something special to make it stand out as a very special 6.9.

Take a moment, and just visualize this arrangement, accompanied by a sporty exhaust note (not too noisy but 'gnarly') plus some NICELY striking wheels, possibly 18" with a shiny gun metal grey finish.......I honestly think that wheels and colour can make or break a car. BTW, by 'shiny' wheels I am not referring to the crass looking chromies, but something like this.....

Copy2ofMikeNo2377.jpg

Copy2ofMikeNo2381.jpg

Same wheel, different lighting conditions - they were on a V12 biturbo S- Class.

Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, the car obviously has not sold at this stage, but I am not unduly concerned about the situation.
I carried out some work the other day, such as fitting a replacement Steering Box as the one previously fitted decided to start leaking all over again - one of the reasons it got knocked back for rego. purposes, as well as worn drag link ball joints.

Another item I attended to was to fit new bushes to the INTERNAL gear change lever - not the ones on the selector rod from lever to gearbox, but the internal ones.

I had spent a bit of time changing the Steering Box, so changing the two bushes was a nice and clean job - for a change, and I got to thinking (as I am sitting in the driver's seat looking around) just what a nice car this is - apart from the exterior. Now, this is not sales talk (honest !), because I don't really need to sell this car, but I also got to thinking how much time and money I had spent to turn it into quite a nice car. Lovely interior with a new dash (Dash itself $380.00 and I had gutted the interior just to get it into really nice condition), refurbished timber at, say, $600.00 (worth every cent), heater and door trims refoamed (doing the flaps is a time consuming job), nice MB Radio (have another look at it) that cost me about $250.00, front and rear seats re-padded and partly resewn pleats (worth a bit of money !), beautiful original carpets, and now rebuilt Steering Box, new engine mounts, suspension in excellent working condition, 12 months rego. - hell, why would I want to sell it for $6600.00 ? I've got to be crazy - so, that's how I feel at the moment.

As I said, this is not Sales Talk - just some sobering assessments and considerations. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I feel for you Godfather.

Maybe you need to advertising on the web (carsales, etc... ) at a higher price..
I am sure you'll get a better response..

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, thanks for your comments. I understand that advertising on topklasse is a somewhat limited means of reaching good coverage.

Incidentally, I am not complaining - I guess I was thinking aloud, and talking to myself, as I sat there replacing the bushes and looking aound inside the car. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I wish I had more space Godfather...

I would have seriously looked at it...:eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I wish I had more space Godfather...

I fully understand - I mean, you've also got your hands full and the last thing you need is another car. Really, I cannot understand why you have not been able to sell the 560SEL nor the nice 108 - 280 you have. Hard to fathom. Regards Styria

I would have seriously looked at it...:eek:

I have put my reply in the wrong place, and I was told to lengthen my reply. This is it.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Really, I cannot understand why you have not been able to sell the 560SEL nor the nice 108 - 280 you have

I have put my reply in the wrong place, and I was told to lengthen my reply. This is it.

The 560 is spoken for... Awaiting some money
The 55 Convertible is also spoken for (sizeable deposit paid... I am repainting it a different colour for the new owner...

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
That, indeed, is great news - frees up some welcome extraneous funds for the red 690SEL beast - when can I come round ? Your wish is my command !:D:D Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That, indeed, is great news - frees up some welcome extraneous funds for the red 690SEL beast - when can I come round ? Your wish is my command !:D:D Regards Styria

Need to do soemthing about that radio...
I hope to buy it this week, otherwise i'm away for another week from next week...
:eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi everyone, I am bumping this thread for a couple of reasons. First of all, there will be some changes in regards to previous advertising and, secondly, I would like to rekindle interest in the car.

First of all, the little bit of rust that had been evident in both sill panels has been removed. The car is largely , or should I say, almost rust free but respraying the car (which it needs) will clear up the rest. The price that I had been quoted by Michel's Jerry was 'mate pricing' and may no longer be available, but it would have pushed the total figure, including work by myself, to somewhere near the $14k. figure - a very cheap overall price given the condition of the car otherwise.

In the meantime, I have also handed in/reserved the plates GJ 2211, so the car will be sold with a 'blue slip' only - in other words, the twelve months registration will be the responsibility of any future owner. Also, the steering box has since been replaced and this is one 6.9 that "stays up" and starts at the turn of the key each and every time. Regards Styria