Styria and the Jazz

More threads by BenzBoy

260ebenz

Master
Both the Jazz and the Rolls Royce look superb.

How was the RROCA Drive event today Brian?

Styria

The Godfather
I had always wanted to attend, but early in the morning, I virtually had to cancel on account of a family commitment. Luckily enough, I was able to circumvent a problem, and this enabled Julie and I to take part in the "Drive and Be Driven" day organized by the Rolls Royce Owners' Club at a cafe right at the Corrugated Iron Cafe in Peats Ridge.

It was good to see so many well kept specimens of not only Rolls Royce and Bentleys, but also two quite splendid Rover P5B Saloon and Coupe, and also a solitary Ch. 116 Mercedes 280SE belonging to a Rolls Royce Club member - we also attended with our little Honda Jazz as we wanted to give it a bit of run, but also enjoy its excellent driving features. Here are some pics.

HondaJazz017_zps906c9d53.jpg

On the far left, BenzBoy's beautifully kept Silver Ghost - the two tone S2 was also quite unusual. Not necessarily my colour choice, but hey ....what is it that I preach about colour choice.....

HondaJazz016_zpsd10d203b.jpg

The next is of the quite gorgeous Rover P5B Coupe....

HondaJazz020_zps271fa5dd.jpg

The frontal treatment of BenzBoy's quite remarkable Silver Spirit....

HondaJazz022_zps0210f98e.jpg

In comparison, note the different frontal and headlight treatment of the Bentley (1996) when compared with the earlier model Spirit (1992).

HondaJazz025_zpsade9d6ae.jpg

I was lucky enough to score a ride in the magnificent Bentley Mulsanne (?) - normally aspirated with 6.75 litre engine. What a magnificent drive with its hydropneumatic (?) suspension - very reminiscent of ...guess what ? Gleaming Beauty. That Bentley, by the way,had the most magnificent Metallic Red colour - not Fire Engine Red, but NICE Red. Lovely, lovely car.

HondaJazz015_zps8af94bba.jpg

The little Honda did not disgrace itself - sure enough, a few levels below the other machinery present, but when it comes to smart, and attractive looks (to our eyes), it holds up very well.

HondaJazz021_zps66e1edf4.jpg

In closing, thank you Brian for the invite. I hope to bring GB to the next event. It was a pity that there were no Mercedes Benz Club members present.

Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria - you are always welcome. One of the nice things about the RROCA is that we always enjoy having fans of other marques come along and bring their cars.
Wasn't it great to see the Rovers? I thoroughly enjoyed driving David's Rover 3500 and have to admit it's a very tempting machine. The owner of the 280SE is our past Treasurer and he has a collection of cars; Studebaker, Pontiac drophead and a Lincoln. He recently sold his Shadow and is looking to buy an S2 Bentley.
The red Bentley in Question is a Bentley Brooklands. Mechanically it is the same as the Spirit - same motor/transmission and the same active-ride hydraulic suspension and braking system. It differs in that it has firmer bushing and thicker roll bars as well as requiring slightly increased effort in the steering to give it a more sporting feel. The same handling kit is available for the Spirit and I'm tempted to install one on my 1993 SSII.
The interior appointments are different but since each was a bespoke car you could have had any combination you ordered.
It would be interesting to drive a 6.9 back to back with a Turbo R.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
White 280SE W116 is it from the Blue Mountains?

280SE looks familiar.

Have seen the green Rover and some of the Rolls Royce's before at the Euro Motorfest in Newcastle they certainly are superb looking cars.

Brian and Styria looks to have been a great day.

Thanks for the pics guys.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
No the 280SE is not from the Blue Mountains and no it does not belong to a member of the MBCNSW.
I'll admit though, most white 280SEs do look alike....:eek:

####pit view of the Bentley Brooklands - eat yr heart out Maybach!

Brooklands_zpsd2db956d.png

Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with the various models marketed by Bentley over the last ten to twenty years. There is the Azure, the GTC Continental and others as well that have become niche models with appropriate names. Needless to say, whichever model one talks about, they are beautifully made, as well as looking the part.

BenzBoy, the car in question - as I said, its owner took me for a nice, albeit exuberant, ten minute journey - quite powerful, lovely to sit in and its ride conveyed a feeling of solidity and being glued to the road. Obviously, I did not get a chance to drive the car, but it certainly seemed to be a little more 'together' than Michel's Rolls Royce that I did drive prior to the sale of the car, as well as a Silver Shadow of the mid seventies that was awful to handle when approaching, or I should say, negotiating roundabouts. I was also taken by the colour of the Bentley - certainly very striking, with immaculate paintwork.

Yes Tim, it was a nice gathering - unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay longer than we did. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
HondaJazz025_zpsade9d6ae.jpg

I was lucky enough to score a ride in the magnificent Bentley Mulsanne (?) - normally aspirated with 6.75 litre engine. What a magnificent drive with its hydropneumatic (?) suspension - very reminiscent of ...guess what ? Gleaming Beauty. That Bentley, by the way,had the most magnificent Metallic Red colour - not Fire Engine Red, but NICE Red. Lovely, lovely car.
Regards Styria

What a magnificent looking car.

I would probably buy a Bentley next, if the right Corniche doesn't come along.
I've always loved that shape and the Bentley's colour coding gives it a nice finish... especially in red.

By the way, the ride of the Bentley is always firmer (or more together) than that the Rolls Royce, on account of the 'sportiness' of the ride.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
But the Jazz took the cake for the greatest space in the cabin. All it lacked was a herd of cows and a forest of rare timber. :D
I can see why people would buy one; it is an immensely usable and friendly vehicle.
Regards,
brian

Styria

The Godfather
No the 280SE is not from the Blue Mountains and no it does not belong to a member of the MBCNSW.
I'll admit though, most white 280SEs do look alike....:eek:

####pit view of the Bentley Brooklands - eat yr heart out Maybach!

Brooklands_zpsd2db956d.png

Regards,
Brian

....Benz Boy, that Rover 3.5 litre Coupe visible through the screen of the Bentley.....not a bad looking car, is it ? Regards. Styria