Correct battery size for a w111

More threads by c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Does anyone know what the correct battery size is for a w111? Mine recently went kaput and i needed to try a few from battery world to get one that fits. In the end the one I got is a bit too small and i had to pack the hold down with washers.

20170403_074817.jpg

Previously there was an older battery with recessed terminals that required tape on the hold down. But the new ones even with the recessed terminals have a bigger breather so don't fit.

20170323_175116.jpg

I have the battery now, but would be good to know for next time.

Last edited:

sean sherry

Master
More Battery confusion..... My currant model Golf has Stop/ Start device.
A Google search indicates it needs an AMG replacement Battery ( expensive )
V.W. Service Dept. says only in some versions of the same Car.. what is the VIN number ? The O.E.M. Battery doesn't indicate an AMG
With all the flat Battery issues I had with our 104 C Class, Mercedes replaced the third Battery under Warranty with an AMG. Been ok since but is now on its way out after 3 years. So what is the point of the extra expense ?

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
More Battery confusion..... My currant model Golf has Stop/ Start device.
A Google search indicates it needs an AMG replacement Battery ( expensive )
V.W. Service Dept. says only in some versions of the same Car.. what is the VIN number ? The O.E.M. Battery doesn't indicate an AMG
With all the flat Battery issues I had with our 104 C Class, Mercedes replaced the third Battery under Warranty with an AMG. Been ok since but is now on its way out after 3 years. So what is the point of the extra expense ?

when I bought the new battery for my E350, the man at battery world told me that were it fitted with stop/start it would need an AGM battery. My thought at the time was that the small amount of fuel saved is probably offset by the additional cost of the AGM battery unless you are a taxi driver. As I recall it was about $350 more.

sean sherry

Master
I switch off the Stop/Start system each time. Apart from dubious savings round the Suburbs it ia a P.I.T.A in any traffic. I will quote the Vin Number to V.W to get a definitive answer. Irrespective of the answer I will just fit a good quality
sealed Battery as necessary.

Styria

The Godfather
Help BenzBoy. Talk about self starting feature. You will no doubt be aware that '20s or 30s Rolls Royce had a what could be termed a self starting feature. However, in the strictest sense of the word that was not so. Would you be able to elaborate how the system worked ? Regards. Styria

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Help BenzBoy. Talk about self starting feature. You will no doubt be aware that '20s or 30'sRolls Royce had a what could be termed a self starting feature. Howevever, in the strictest sense hat was not so. Would you be able to elaborate how the system worked ? Regards. Styria
No self-starting feature; just the normal starter motor or crank handle if your battery is flat. You need to be fairly strong though to crank a 7 litre engine by hand.
If the engine is in top condition, it is possible to use the advance lever to create a spark from the coil that will start the engine, giving the impression of self-starting. It's a party trick at best and not a reliable method of starting. Such method assumes there is already petrol vapour in the combustion chamber.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks for that explanation. Quite a number of years ago, I attended a Rolls Royce concours at Vaucluse House, and one of the owners of this older model had a host of open mouthed spectators that he demonstrated this feature to. It was an immediate hit. Regards. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Bryce, it would only have been a couple of years ago that I was able to purchase a proper sized battery for one of my client's 6.3. Terminology and numerical descriptions have changed over the years, but I would always be able to obtain 88amp and 66amp batteries for the W116 and W108/109 respectively. Looking at yours, it would seem that you have a 60amp unit

By the look of things, you may well have the wrong unit. Incidentally, if you paid more than $220.00, you were charged an uncompetitive price. Regards. Styria

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Bryce, it would only have been a couple of years ago that I was able to purchase a proper sized battery for one of my client's 6.3. Terminology and numerical descriptions have changed over the years, but I would always be able to obtain 88amp and 66amp batteries for the W116 and W108/109 respectively. Looking at yours, it would seem that you have a 60amp unit

By the look of things, you may well have the wrong unit. Incidentally, if you paid more than $220.00, you were charged an uncompetitive price. Regards. Styria

Yes I do have the 60 and would like to find the right size for the 88 that will fit. all the ones I tried in the store didn't work with the battery hold down, had recessed terminals or were too tall.

Styria

The Godfather
Bryce, the 88 unit will not fit as the cradle that is part of the inner chassis member is too small. You will need to find a 66 (?) model with the recessed terminals. I believe if you fitted a unit with exposed terminals, they could easily touch the underside of the bonnet.

I have a spare 88 unit on hand that you could try, but I am quite certain that it will not fit. I will send you a picture of that battery. Regards Styria

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I had more of a look. You're right, a DIN88 will not fit. Hoever, the battery I have now is a DIN53ML which is also too small

34292459111_1df0371cab_c.jpg

You can see its too short, so I've had to pack the bracket with washers and nuts. Its also not long enough.

Doing some quick measurements, the ideal battery is roughly 280 long, 170 wide, and 180 tall.

the battery I have in place is about 240 long, and has recessed terminals which is not ideal.

I think I need something close to a DIN65, but not quite.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I was never really happy with this battery. It was a bit undersize and after my alternator died the battery was never the same.
I spent more time finding a new one and came up with something that was a much better size and much higher capacity.