Key activated battery isolation switch?

More threads by BenzBoy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Is there such a thing as a key activated battery isolation switch? If so, who stocks them?
Regards,
BenzBoy

You mean like the one in the boot of the SS but with a key?

Des

Is there such a thing as a key activated battery isolation switch? If so, who stocks them?
Regards,
BenzBoy

You can buy from places like Dick Smith a 12 volt key switch, it is a simple switch that is operated by a key and lock barrel, has the pins on the back to be wired up to.

B

BAR

If the purpose here is similar to that in motor sports, that is an extremely visible device to disconnect the battery in the event of an accident so as to prevent fire, then go to any motor sports biased spare parts shop and get one where the 'key' can be removed from the switch; thus leaving it in the on or off position. This will have a major 'amp' terminal each side of the switch as it carries the full electrical and power load of your electrical system. It also needs to be carefully located so as to prevent 'grounding' on any body panel in the event of an accident.

If your requirement is for anti-theft purposes, then get an ignition isolation switch; much simpler device as it only carries a low 'amp' or power load and uses standard gauge wiring. This can then be mounted anywhere you choose, such as in the glove box or under the seat or any place your imagination may decide that a potential this will not think that it is hidden.

It will be simpler to install as it will interrupt the electrical circuit to your ignition switch, easily accessible under the dash board.

abl567

Super Moderator
Or, if for security purposes, do something clever like converting the cigar lighter to an ignition isolation swith, simply press the lighter in and the circuit is made, pull it out and it is open circuit, or the glove box lock could be used to trigger a micro switch opening the circuit when you lock the lid. Or hide it with the electric window switches, replace the two button switch with another with the rear window lockout and use that to isolate the ignition.
I might even try on of these on the 6.3, or all of them in series! Jump in, unlock glove box, depress cigar lighter, depress window switch, turn key and start car...:cool:

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Thanks for all those suggestions. I will follow them up and let you know what I get. There are some seriously good ideas there and I appreciate the time you have all taken to reply. :D
Regards,
BenzBoy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Will you tell us where you plan to use this contraption?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Found one!! Made for a bus or truck. The ones with keys had very poor contacts. This one has a keyed crank handle affair and trul heavy duty.
Where? Local Benz service agent - all for $80. :D
Regards,
BenzBoy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Found one!! Made for a bus or truck. The ones with keys had very poor contacts. This one has a keyed crank handle affair and trul heavy duty.
Where? Local Benz service agent - all for $80. :D
Regards,
BenzBoy

I wonder what the local Benz Agent uses it for?