Wheel alignment (Melbourne)

More threads by smueller99au

smueller99au

Hi all.
I've got a W109 and a W107, both of which require a good wheel alignment.

I've tried a couple of people around Melbourne that reckon they can do a proper alignment on these. None of them can. As soon as they begin to jack up the W109 I have to intervene and set the suspension lever to stop the air evacuating. Besides the fact that you shouldn't raise the car once it's on the ramps.

So, can anyone suggest a group to take them to that actually know what they're doing?

Many thanks.
Steve.

WGB

Why would you jack the car up to check the wheel alignment? - it would destroy the geometry.

Our local tyre shop has a drive on hoist with the wheel alignment bits built into it.

The car is raised to allow someone to work on it but the suspension remains in the normal ride height position.

Totally unrelated but of interest (to me anyway) - I am waiting for a new set of tyres for my 164 - ML500 which wore the left front outer edge a little unevenly (In nearly 40,000 km).

The same place as I described above checked my alignment when the car was newer (After I drove over a stump) and said it was perfect and anyway there was no adjustment.

The M-B agents say it is adjusted by replacing the bolts - there are several options and each bolt is available 20 minutes different from the next - effectively making a wheel alignment a "Dealer Only" service.

No doubt I will be donating an arm and a leg to keep a clear conscience with the next set of tyres.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi all.
I've got a W109 and a W107, both of which require a good wheel alignment.

I've tried a couple of people around Melbourne that reckon they can do a proper alignment on these. None of them can. As soon as they begin to jack up the W109 I have to intervene and set the suspension lever to stop the air evacuating. Besides the fact that you shouldn't raise the car once it's on the ramps.

So, can anyone suggest a group to take them to that actually know what they're doing?

Many thanks.
Steve.

Hi Steve, nice to hear from you (other than signing on), and hopefully you've come to the right place to help you. If you were to contact Reinhard KLAVERS on 0419-513 177 and tell him that Michael Paker (Styria) has given you his number, he will be able to assist you.

Reinhard specializes in 109s and 116s, and he is located at Croydon - not sure where it is. You'll find him helpful and extremely knowledgeable. Regards Styria

AAB

True story,

For my 74, 450SEL, I could not get a good wheel align job at the tyre service recommended by Worrells,.. lucky to get 40,000 out of the front tyres !!

Down at Tyrepower, Hastings Vic, having a new set of boots fitted & casually asked Bob Tuckett, the proprietor, " Who in the hell can do a REAL wheel align on my Benz ?? "

Quick as a flash, he says " We can ",

Ha..HA.. I said, but really ?

Bob did his time at Worrells, & his dad had a tyre service in Malvern Road, & Bob said that he learned how to do it properly.

Oh...what a difference to the handling,road holding & tyre life !!

Regards,

Alex

Styria

The Godfather
Well AAB and SMueller99au, that now makes it two locations in Melbourne. That's a good start. Thanks AAB. Regards Styria

OP
smueller99au

smueller99au

Hi all.
Thanks for the responses.

Firstly, yes I agree that Reinhard Klavers is the first place any mercedes owner in Melbourne should go for an opinion on their vehicle. He is fantastic in his services. My car has spent many an hour at his workshop. However, he is just under 2 hours away from me so it makes it difficult to get there. BUT... he can do a wheel alignment so I reckon I'll just get over there with both my cars and make it happen.

Hastings is probably the same distance for me so I'll start at Croydon. (I'm way out West!).

ps... anyone know where I can get 2 front seats and a front passenger's side indicator cover from?

Cheers.
Steve.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Steve, I never knew that Melbourne could be that size, but then again if you're not familiar with your location, you don't have much of a chance, do you ?

Generally speaking, if I find a business that I can trust and where the owner/ employees are competent, I just keep on patronizing them and do not mind the travelling time.

In Sydney, I use a small company located at Sydenham (Accurate Steering and Wheel Alignment) and they have carried out all of my alignments for at least sixteen years. Simple workshop, nothing fancy, just good workmanship. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I had a steering alingment done at Accurate Steering and Alingment because it was required due to poor tyre wear. Some time later, I needed to raise the reference ride hight of my 6.9 to clear a hump in my driveway, and I thought that the steering may need re-alinnment, so I had it checked. the (higher) ride height was found to NOT affect the steering alingment, as no adjustment was required.