$32K 6.9 for sale in Melbourne

More threads by Oversize

Tony66_au

I Love this bit.....

The suspension does not obviously leak, and has been the subject of considerable expenditure over the last several years.

And this indicates a true believer.

The car is also fitted with the correct Michelin XWX 215070-14 tyres....five of them, of course.

Tony66_au

You know Mark......

Borrow the money, buy the car and then sell what you have to recoup some of the outlay.

32k isnt huge and you can offer something lower, say 27k?

If the listing it accurate I dont think its unreasonable and owning as many as you do puts you in good stead with the current owner who looks like a real enthusiast from the contents of his other auctions.

go see the credit union mate.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yeah I hear what you're saying Tony; but I've become impossibly attached to all of them!!! :D I know it's not cost effective but I'd rather rescue my old girls than buy someone else's hard yakka. Yes I need therapy! :eek:

I do think $32K is reasonable value given it's condition. Particularly when you consider the price of a full size new car. What's the base price on a new Falcon, or Commodore with similar specs? Mid $40K? But without the heritage, M100 thrust, prestige or rarity....

But like you said, all used cars need some more $ spent before they're immaculate. No matter what the PO claims. Holes in the centre console, new carpets and a RH seat base cover to name a few. And she has done nearly 320000km.

And of course the ad's missing a pic of the engine; WTF?? After all, it's why there's been 110 views and 1 offer in just 1 day!

BTW was a 1980 W116 available with the pinstripe Becker?? I'd have thought only the all black ones would be the only type available by then....

Last edited:

Tony66_au

Maybe not this car but another, either that or just borrow the dough to make a good one.

Working bee at Marks!

or maybe a fresh perspective and a planning session....

Id suggest that this is the best 6.9 I have seen (Based on the sellers claims) since the Green one Shannons had, the Ex Jeff Kennett car.

Styria

The Godfather
Well boys (!), can I take part in this conversation, or can I put in my bit in assessing the car and the super, super dooper (? duped) sales spiel organized by the seller of this car ? Mark has beaten me to the punch regarding the carpet and the fact that there are no pictures of the engine bay. Both of those items are of considerable importance when assessing this car for purchase.

Take the carpets, for instance. Sure, you can replace them, but should they be in the condition that they are in, considering that this car "is probably the best 6.9 in Australia" ? Just have a look at the driver's carpet, the dirty condition and also have a look at the carpet binding - all stuff that says that this is not a car that's been well looked after. Engine Bay - why no pictures ? I don't understand - I bet if someone asked for pictures of the Engine Bay, they will not be forthcoming. Also, of course, Mark picked the radio - he is quite correct when he states that 6.9s of that vintage had the black radio.

All in all boys, this car should struggle to reach $11K. to $14K. but I would not be confident in buying it. Sure, it's nice to see decent money being asked for our 6.9, but do we have to believe the condescending (in my opinion) sales talk that's a hallmark of this advertisement ? I say, be careful. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just had another look at the front seats - I reckon that the wearing surfaces have been painted - compare with the 'borders' that are dirty and a somewhat different colour. No, the more I look, the less I like...... Regards Styria

WiSeGuYY

32K , for this money the interested buyer would go check the car personally and not MARK who really don't HAVE to buy another one , never the less i wonder where he will store all of that fleet, you bought them as a hobby to start working on them whenever you have the time and money , shouldn't put pressure on yourself by borrowing money or anything, please get rid of that idea .

REGARDS

TAREK

WGB

Just had another look at the front seats - I reckon that the wearing surfaces have been painted - compare with the 'borders' that are dirty and a somewhat different colour. No, the more I look, the less I like...... Regards Styria

I agree with you Styria.

It probably is quite a reasonable car but it does have 317,000 km on it so there will be something to fix or improve on it.

It will be interesting to see if anyone will pay the price given that they have been going downwards in value for a while.

Bill

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi guys a nice enough car but asking doudle what it is probably worth. An interesting point is if you click on the seallers other items they are parts for a W100 600 . Maybe of interest to you Ant. Geoff:)

CraigS

The seller is Chris Stewart. I doubt that it is his car as he does not live in Heidelberg, so I suspect he is selling it on behalf of the owner. I know Chris well. He has a 6.3, an Adenauer (several now I think) and some 600 parts cars. He has enough parts to build about 20 cars. He is also one of the regular contributors to the MBCV club magazine. Nice guy, but I have no idea about the car.

Tony66_au

Thanks for the heads up Craig, thats good to know.

Id assume from the honest condition of the interior that it is a car that gets driven a bit which in my book constitutes a safer purchase than a garage queen.