Steering Wheel protection

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I just bought a new steering wheel for Red Bull to replace the W126 unit with the loose grip at the top and bottom. For $100 it's in very good condition but it was in dire need of some TLC. After a wash with some mild detergent, I'm letting it dry out. Once dried I'd like to coat it with something to bring back the old lustre, soft touch and deep black (it's rather dried out looking). So.... what do I use apart from Amorall (which I refuse to use)? Silicon? Leather protector? Olive oil?

E200K

Leatherique sell a steering wheel kit you can use to re-dye your steering wheel, or you can use their rejuvenator oil and cleaner to clean and conditioning your steering wheel. I re-dyed mine and was quite happy with the results.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Leatherique sell a steering wheel kit you can use to re-dye your steering wheel, or you can use their rejuvenator oil and cleaner to clean and conditioning your steering wheel. I re-dyed mine and was quite happy with the results.

Does re-dying it give it a 'brighter' black?

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
What are the steering wheels made of? It's not leather or vinyl....

What about lanolin, or hand cream/moisturizer as a protectant? I remember Styria mentioning something similar?

Where can you get Leatherique? I've never seen it at Autobarn or Supercheap....

E200K

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, all I ever use, and have used, are hand creams (Sorbolene) or any of them, and the steering wheel on GB is almost like new - even after all these years. You know, from time to time (regularly !) I use Malco Leather conditioner on the seats, and whilst I am at it, I put some on the palms of my hands and start driving the car, at the same time as I am working it in. But honestly, any hand creme will do........Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
AAROOGAH AAAROOOGAH Pirates sighted post high jacking in Progress TONY . Or i just cannot bring myself to reply :D

Tony66_au

What? I care very well for my ewe's!

So when crutching the odd wooly i have left in the flock I paste their rear ends in Sorbolene!

Id actually forgotten about Styria's info but I did try it on the brown SE and it brought the wheel back nicely.

E200K

Hi Mark, all I ever use, and have used, are hand creams (Sorbolene) or any of them, and the steering wheel on GB is almost like new - even after all these years. You know, from time to time (regularly !) I use Malco Leather conditioner on the seats, and whilst I am at it, I put some on the palms of my hands and start driving the car, at the same time as I am working it in. But honestly, any hand creme will do........Regards Styria

Hi Styria, hope you're feeling fitter each day.

Funny stuff leather and loads of strong opinions on how to look after it. For example, I've heard people say never use hand conditioner on a steering wheel but you've just debunked that. I suppose it depends on the coating.

Tony66_au

Sorbolene's main ingredient is Lanolin which is an amazing substance used in more and more products these days.

I can tell you now when i've spent a few days shearing and crutching my hands are so damned soft its scary and the pigskin gloves i use outlast non lanolin coated pairs 10:1.

Lanolin is also the secret ingredient in the Inox range of spray lubes I keep crapping on about lol

A while ago Styria mentioned the sorbolene trick and I was a bit bored one day down the sheep shed so i grabbed a smidge and lathered my hands, lit a smoke and wandered over to the 450SE, Sat in it and massaged the goop into the wheel.

it went from grey n grungy to uniform and a darker colour with the grunge transferred to my hands lol.

I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post em

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Styria, hope you're feeling fitter each day.

Funny stuff leather and loads of strong opinions on how to look after it. For example, I've heard people say never use hand conditioner on a steering wheel but you've just debunked that. I suppose it depends on the coating.

I can definitely say that the original wheels weren't leather; more likely a type of high density foam, with maybe a thin veneer of another material over the top?

What about using Dubbin??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbin

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
According to the manual, you're supposed to clean the steering wheel and gear selector with, "MB Auto-shampoo, Neutralized Dish-washing Detergent or Soft Detergent. Wipe with a cloth moistened in luke warm solution. No scouring agents must be used".

Styria

The Godfather
According to the manual, you're supposed to clean the steering wheel and gear selector with, "MB Auto-shampoo, Neutralized Dish-washing Detergent or Soft Detergent. Wipe with a cloth moistened in luke warm solution. No scouring agents must be used".

Mark, somebody queried Dubbin - it may have been E200K (God Bless him, where is he :D), and I think Dubbin is okay, but it stays sticky for a long time and does not feel nice on your hands. Honestly, I reckon saddle soap to start off with, and after that you can use ANY hand creme, even Sorbolene, or anything at all that's got some sort of fat or moistening qualities. When I bought the 420SEL, the steering wheel was dry and not nice to the touch. Several applications have done wonders for the feel of the wheel now. On GB, I have used hand creme for years and the wheel is almost like new. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Question for you guys could I use saddle soap to clean the leather seats & steering wheel in the 300SE?