Steering wheel boss kits

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Question:

If I have a boss kit on my current wooden steering wheel that fits snug, and I have bought another aftermarket steering wheel - will I be able to take the boss kit off my current wheel and put it on the new one, Regardless?

Eg.. Is the boss kit interchangeable between any aftermarket steering wheel, or will I have to get one specific to the new steering wheel??

Cam

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Question:
If I have a boss kit on my current wooden steering wheel that fits snug, and I have bought another aftermarket steering wheel - will I be able to take the boss kit off my current wheel and put it on the new one, Regardless?
Eg.. Is the boss kit interchangeable between any aftermarket steering wheel, or will I have to get one specific to the new steering wheel??
Cam

Some do interchange and some don't.

You gotta give it a try

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Thanks Michel! ;)

Should get my new wheel this week....so fingers crossed it's all good.

Cam :)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam2, chances are that you will need to buy a kit for the new wheel. BTW, you haven't told us what sort of a timber wheel you're buying. Did you get it off ebay, or did you manage to find another supplier - pic. would be nice.

Incidentally, Cam2, I am a little confused with your car situation. I take it that the car you came to Bowral with was a 450 which you were going to repaint and do up - yet, is it the one you decided to strip and have taken to the crusher and wasn't it also the one that you spent a lot of money on with MB Spares after you first acquired it ?

So, obviously you must have the 'Race Car" as well - if so, is it your everyday car and, if so, what condition is it in ? Also, the rebuilt calipers - have you yet fitted those and, if so, were they fitted to the car you have been, or will be, racing at Sutton ? As I said, I am just a bit confused. Regards, Styria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Styria mate,
The steering wheel i'll be getting isn't a wooden one... quite far from it actually.. The ad said it was PLeather - i'm not sure what P Leather is, but it's gotta be good! :confused:
I'll post a pic once i've received it.

The car i'm racing is the same car i drove to bowral. It's also the same car I took to MB Spares for the timing chain / guides / tensioner / cam sprockets etc.

I'll be posting an extensive update on my 116 fleet in the coming week (been flat out, and even while on leave this week i haven't had time to do ish).

The calipers i got are now on the track car. BB has passed the exchange set on to Michel - sorry I didn't get them to your door step, i figured you'd prob be able to catch up with Michel at some point.

Stay posted...

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam2, thanks for that information. Getting bb to drop the calipers with Michel is cool as there is a good chance that I will be seeing him this Saturday.

I am really looking forward to the update and some pics. when you get a chance to post them. Regards, Styria

B13

The thing is CAMS (not Cam as in Mercules or Cam2 as in SELfor50) stipulate that competition cars need a leather or leatherette steering wheel and not wood unless the car originally came with a wooden steering wheel. Even then it can only be an original wheel, not an aftermarket one.

Reference: General Requirements of Automobiles Schedule A, section 12 on page 6-5 of the CAMS 2005 Manual of Motor Sport.

I.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

The thing is CAMS (not Cam as in Mercules or Cam2 as in SELfor50) stipulate that competition cars need a leather or leatherette steering wheel and not wood unless the car originally came with a wooden steering wheel. Even then it can only be an original wheel, not an aftermarket one.

Reference: General Requirements of Automobiles Schedule A, section 12 on page 6-5 of the CAMS 2005 Manual of Motor Sport.

I.

What about P--Leather?? :D :eek:

Looks like the boss kit will interchange - gotta confirm tomorrow though.
Will post results.

B13

Maaate... there's nothing you can't do with PLeather!

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam2, the question now is 'will the new PLeather (still don't know what it is)" make the car (is it 'old smokey' ) go faster and handle better ? Couldn't help but notice some sort of sticker on your front screen - it looks pretty cool but surely we now need topklasse.org on the rear screen seeing that Admin. have given you and B13 a special Motorsport Section on the discussion board. :D Regards, Styria

B13

Methinks you're not examining the car closely enough...! The topklasse decals outnumber the w116.orgy sticker 3-to-1