Replacing seals in a power steering box

More threads by John S

AAB

John,

I did my 74, 450SEL box seals many years ago & it was quite simple to replace the seals.

The biggest problem was getting the pitman arm off the shaft.

Regards,

Alex

Styria

The Godfather
Hi JohnS, that is an absolutely superb post that's been submitted by the author of that post. I have seen it previously and, in fact, I may have it in my 'Favorites' section. I'll have to check.

Also, if I remember correctly, I was going to print it out, but it was going to run to seventy eight pages, so I gave that a miss. Again, remembering correctly, S-Class (our friend in SA - where is he these days ?) has posted one particularly good article on his experiences with steering boxes, accompanied by some very informative pictures. I just wish I could find it, or recall exactly where I have seen it.

Alex. You mention that you carried out this job several years ago. Did you find any particular problem with it (other than the Pitman arm) and did you use a genuine, or after market seal kit ? I'd be interested to know. The reason why I ask is because one guy I have used always insisted on using genuine. His work lasted about two years and no more. Regards Styria

AAB

Styria,

From what I can recall, the seals were genuine & lasted for four or five years before I replaced the pump & box last year ( both leaking !!).

Boy, was that box heavy.

Regards,

Alex

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Alex, you must be about the same age as myself - I too find these items getting heavier and heavier not by the year, but by the day. There has got to be a better way of living and enjoying life to the fullest ! Regards Styria

AAB

Styria,

I am almost 77 but I enjoy working on cars,..& motorbikes,.. had a 500 Indian ( war model),side puncher,..Norton ( I think, could have been a BSA ) blitz buggy, 600 cc side puncher,..this one had an an extended rear axle that drove the side car wheel for use in the desert,..NO diff !!,..graduated to an Areil twin,.then cars including a 1947 Oldsmobile, FX Holden, & later Ford Fairmonts, until I got my Benz in 1989.

Regards,

Alex

WGB

That is a great post that has been around for a while (Did S-class post it a year or two back) and I think I have a copy of it in my computer but nice to see it surface again.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, I think it was someone else's write-up on another website - possibly overseas. I do recall S-Class' contribution somewhere, and it was also quite excellent. I think at the time he referred to quite a number of boxes at a wrecking yard and just about all turned out to be unuseable.

Hi AAB, at your age quoted, and doing the job last year, what a herculean task. The last time I replaced one of my boxes, my left ring finger got caught between box and something very solid and unyielding, with the result that I performed:

a) A wartime dance accompanied by suitably loud "yodelling", and
b) It took two months to lose the nail of that finger and there is no sign of a
replacement for that nail.

Regards Styria :)

Last edited:

AAB

Styria,

Ouch !!!... I can feel that.

The good lady ( MrsAAB,..no Ms, pronounced mizzz allowed here !! ) helped me with the box, but I smartened up & made up a " handy billy " using sailing type pulley blocks to lift my aircond compressor in with MrsAAB on the end of the rope.

Easy peasey,. the biggest problem was making sure that those lousy spacers at the back of the A/C did not get out of line. I used silicon to stick the spacers to the mount.

Regards,

Alex

Styria

The Godfather
Hi AAB, that's a handy M/S to have on your side - did you say you roped and pulled her in ? (You wouldn't be the first fellow to try this on and get butchered in the process). :DYes, that spacing washer, it is just one thing to want to convince you to never lay under a car again !..but you do, don't you ?

AAB

Styria,

How do I post a photo here ?

I have a photo of the good lady with the " handy billy " & myself under the car.

Regards,

Alex