Steering wheel question(s)

More threads by Des

Des

Guys, can you tell me please how the steering wheel is secured onto the car?

I've had a bit of a rumage, it seems you can pry the horn pad up, havent pulled it off all the way yet, is there bolts or screws in there I can tighten it up with?

mine seems to be very loose, like you can wobble it back and forth,

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Guys, can you tell me please how the steering wheel is secured onto the car?

I've had a bit of a rumage, it seems you can pry the horn pad up, havent pulled it off all the way yet, is there bolts or screws in there I can tighten it up with?

mine seems to be very loose, like you can wobble it back and forth,

The horn pad simply pulls off
The wheel is secured by a nut

OP
Des

Des

cool thanks, yes I pulled it up a bit and just wasn't sure if there was anything special needed to be done so that it didn't break.

thanks mate.

good to be back in a w116

;)

OP
Des

Des

Ok well the nut is tight, can anyone please advise what else could cause my wheel to be all wobbly and loose?

like you can wobble it in and out towards the dash, probably within the space of 2 cm.

John S

Des, do you mean that only the steering wheel moves in and out, or does the steering column shroud move with it?

OP
Des

Des

Des, do you mean that only the steering wheel moves in and out, or does the steering column shroud move with it?

yes it is both the column as well,

I should elaborate, yesterday I took the car for a high speed run, over 100k's and felt like I had very little control over the steering, felt like I was virtually disconnected from the wheels, which is very "un-Mercedes" like, even though at say 30-40k's it is fine, can turn into corners quite fast and with ease. There is a reasonable amount of play in the steering, probably 2-3cm on each side before the wheels actually do anything.

What I was thinking I should do first is jack it up and see if there is any wobble in the wheels, as I belive this would indicate if it needs new tie rod ends or ball joints, but other than that I don't know.
A friend advised it could be something in the steering column, like the shaft or....?

May need to get a mechanic to have a look as I guess it could be potentially dangerous if something broke and lost control of the steering, or if that is even possible?

Last edited:

WGB

Possibilities,

1) Column mountings under dash are loose - wheel and column move together as a unit.
2) Column internal bearings are shot but then wheel would move for and aft as well as side by side independantly of column
3) Flexible joint at base of column (In engine compartment) where it connects to the steering box is breaking up.

or a combination of these.

This is different to simple old slop in the steering.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des, it'd be best to have a real good look at this problem - and I do think it is a problem. Remember my situation with the disconnected steering coupling from the input shaft to the steering box ? You'll need to get this checked pretty promptly. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
yes it is both the column as well,

I should elaborate, yesterday I took the car for a high speed run, over 100k's and felt like I had very little control over the steering, felt like I was virtually disconnected from the wheels, which is very "un-Mercedes" like, even though at say 30-40k's it is fine, can turn into corners quite fast and with ease. There is a reasonable amount of play in the steering, probably 2-3cm on each side before the wheels actually do anything.

What I was thinking I should do first is jack it up and see if there is any wobble in the wheels, as I belive this would indicate if it needs new tie rod ends or ball joints, but other than that I don't know.
A friend advised it could be something in the steering column, like the shaft or....?
May need to get a mechanic to have a look as I guess it could be potentially dangerous if something broke and lost control of the steering, or if that is even possible?

Des dear mate....

DO NOT DRIVE your 116 at those speeds until you get it checked urgently...

As a matter of facts "DON'T DRIVE IT ANYWHERE but directly to your mechanic.

OP
Des

Des

thanks guys for your comments,

My mechanic is going to have a look at her tomorrow, will report back on the findings.

oscar

Holly crap Des. Yesterday I was going to ask the same as John as my first thought was styria's mishap but then maybe thought it was just simply wear in the box so I decided to butt out. Now it sounds scary! Glad you're getting it investigated.

OP
Des

Des

Spoke to the mechanic, half the problem was the steering box was way out of adjustment, and needs a new steering coupling, had the same part replaced in my w114, although that felt no where near as bad as this..

I assume the coupling connects the steering collum into the steering box?

OP
Des

Des

Got my car back today, to steer you wouldn't think it was the same car!

play in the steering is gone, its all nice and firm and tight, steers straight and true.

steering box adjusted + new steering shaft coupling = money well spent

OP
Des

Des

Good news Des!

Did he make comment about how close you were to disaster? Or was it not that bad.

Didn't mention that?

When you say disaster...what would have happend? or could have happened?

I assume the steering shaft coupling connects the steering collum to the box, so no connection means no steering?

oscar

I thought someone was going to answer that and I forgot all about it sorry but yes. That coupling attaches the steering column's shaft to the steering box's shaft. If that coupling became detached or broke, you'd have no control whatsoever over steering. A scary thought. Hence why styria's coupling becoming detached at a service station a while back was a very fortunate situation so far as he wasn't doing freeway speeds when it happened.

I was assuming that perhaps the mechanic might have said "go buy a lotto ticket" or something similar if the coupling was barely holding on or broken.

OP
Des

Des

thank you oscar,

That is a very scary thought, what could happen in a situation like that,

Sounds like it is a part that should be replaced if your steering is not 100%

was worn in both Benzes I have now, probably worn in all cars unless replaced over the last few years?

Interesting it was about a $250 part for the W116
for the W114 it was a x2 parts and was about $78 from memory.

Would have figured the parts to be "about the same" between both cars.

oscar

Hmm, $250 just for the coupling sounds a bit steep. I wont go looking at and posting prices but when I've had mine off on the 350 sometime ago to realign the steering wheel, prices were only double digits. The coupling also had a 114 or 115 part number interstingly. I should have bought a new one but just reused the old. I remember at the time too that sclass showed w123's had a different perhaps weaker coupling but could still be used on a w116.

OP
Des

Des

Thanks for your comments Oscar, you have had me thinking, that every Benz I have owned has never steered as well as what the 280S does now,

can't recall if it was replaced on the 6.9

I wonder if the part is the same for the 6.9 as a 280S?

You would think that the part would have to endure more stress with that big motor throwing it around through the corners.

thanks once again for your help, and everyone's for that matter,

:)

oscar

Well, definitely sounds like money well spent. I wish I could say the same about povo. It's steering feels alright straight but once you turn it wants to go towards a full lock position rather than return to neutral. I've been talking about getting it into a shop for a few weeks now but haven't had the opportunity yet. Just not sure if it's a toe out problem or camber problem. I think a bit of both as although I know there is a bit of toe out, the front wheels sit a bit like \ / even though all the weight except a/c compressor has been reinstalled. Anyway, more on that when I get a pro to look at it.