Steering Wheels -Timber/Leather

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Steering Wheels - on exchange. If anyone wants the latest super/duper burr walnut and leather combination, it will set you back $700.00, with a change over period of about six weeks. The normal price is $800.00, but I have been able to strike up a special deal on behalf of TOPKLASSE members.

So, the ball is in everybody's court. That's all from me for the time being. Regards, Styria

Can you elaborate a little Styria on the steering wheels.
I understand a nice burr walnut is available with leather...
Can you advise what colour is the leather and, if the original black/dark grey, can that be changed to match the upholstery?

Thanks

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, to be on the safe side colourwise, I would have to consult with the supplier. My simple mind tells me that any colour combination should be available (will probably have to supply colour sample).

Incidentally, the work is carried out overseas, although I am not sure what country except that it is not Germany. I think the price is spot on, especially in view of the fact that a genuine standard Mercedes rim sells for about the $1k. mark. Will keep you posted. Regards, Styria

Des

Not to get off topic, but I just wanted to say for me one of the best experiences driving a Mercedes is the "feel" of the wheel, I hate it when the steering wheel is worn down flat and smooth. For anyone who has a wheel like this you should consider getting it redone or replacing it with a brand new one. The textile feel of the original wheel is really nice, the way it slides through your hands.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des. not at all (being off-topic). I am a bit with you regarding the 'feel' of an original wheel in good condition - still firm, and not being worn through or undue softness,

Luckily, the steering wheels on both of my cars are really in pretty good condition, especially the one in my 'Gleaming Beauty'. I have found that any application of ANY creme (even hand cream) straight off your hands is a good way to keep the material soft, yet still retaining its firmness. I think that any type of accessory in your car, whenever in full view or feel, conveys that 'feel good' feeling - you know, wooden gear knobs, burr walnut horn pad, a dash with no cracks, nice timber embellishments on the console, switches panel......and a nice steering wheel of whatever type ...it's all beauty to your eyes and good feel to your hands. Long winded post, but those are my sentiments. Regards, Styria

hoddo

Connoisseur
Heres a pic of my wheel to give you an idea of the look..paid $800 (not from styria) and I love it. I imagine the ones from styria will look similar?

woodwheel.JPG

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hoddo,

This loks real smik.... :cool:

Does it match the timber on the dash well?

Des

Hi Des. not at all (being off-topic) I think that any type of accessory in your car, whenever in full view or feel, conveys that 'feel good' feeling - you know, wooden gear knobs, burr walnut horn pad, a dash with no cracks, nice timber embellishments on the console, switches panel......and a nice steering wheel of whatever type ...it's all beauty to your eyes and good feel to your hands. Long winded post, but those are my sentiments. Regards, Styria

Yes I agree, same goes with the shifter, the hazard switch, hate it to be all faded and lost the white lettering, its the little things like this that make the difference in a car.
As I've said before I would rather drive a 280S in mint or close to mint condition than a high spec car that is in average to poor condition.

Styria do you have some pictures of your wheels?

Styria

The Godfather
Heres a pic of my wheel to give you an idea of the look..paid $800 (not from styria) and I love it. I imagine the ones from styria will look similar?

woodwheel.JPG

Hi Hoddo, same supplier. I have been able to strike up a special discount for TOPKLASSE members.

BTW, Hoddo, thanks a million for putting up the pic. - as you know, I obviously knew that you had one done by the same supplier, but I really felt hesitant in asking you to come to the party. The 107 part of the forum is a bit slow to kick off, but please bear with us - it WILL come good with a bit more work.

No question-that wheel looks great. Modern, yet contemporary in the traditional sense, and a pleasure to look at and behold. Regards, Styria

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The more I look at it, the more I love it...

Just imagine the centre in light beige to match the upholstery... :p

They would have to do the horn pad as well...

Des

They would have to do the horn pad as well...

There used to be a website called "benzwood" which the link escapes me at the moment, that sold wooden horn pads, console boxes, shifters, gauges surronds etc...

Maybe someone else has the link?

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
There used to be a website called "benzwood" which the link escapes me at the moment, that sold wooden horn pads, console boxes, shifters, gauges surronds etc...

Maybe someone else has the link?

www.benzwood.com is no longer a valid website.
I recall visiting it many times wondering about the gorgeous accessories....

I just checked it and .... nothing

How sad :(

hoddo

Connoisseur
I have often wanted to deal with that guy, been after the woodgrain instrument surround for ages,its like 600 euros from germany but he was doing them for around $300 usa bucks. I even rang and chatted to him but there was so much negative feedback about him on a few usa merc forums I never went ahead. I wish I had given it a shot as I also have noticed his site is down.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, it's not really surprising news that you have come up with. Some while ago, that Company was the subject of some discussion regarding its pricung structure and the changes that had taken place.

I believe that initially prices were cheap and there were some supply problems, with an eventual steep increase being introduced which may perhaps not have been all that well received. So, possibly with business dropping off, the whole marketing concept may have collapsed, and the operation may have been closed down - hence no website. Anyway, that's a possible explanation. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I got done like a chicken dinner, haven't I ? Those prices are excellent, and certainly cheaper that my 'special deal' and certainly a lot cheaper than Eris Car Design in Germany. Both the horn pad and the console trinket box look excellent value for money.

All one needs to do now is to find out how long for delivery and cost of postage - matters not to be under-estimated in the overall scheme of things. Regards, Styria

B

BAR

Looks like they've been torpedoed again.

The link is no longer valid.

abl567

Super Moderator
If I remember correctly there was a lot of bad comment on the M-100 site, bascially revealing them as crooks. I could be wrong so don't sue me!!