Wheel colours

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
We all have different tastes and we don't always agree with others and that's what makes this world such a wonderful place to live in.

Here is a new interpretation of the Bundts, as I see it on the 690SEL.

I'd like your opinions. I do apologise for the low resolution pictures

IMG_0685Custom.jpg

IMG_0684-wheel.jpg

John S

Michel, I found that my eyes were drawn to your wheels instead of your car, so found them a distraction. They are ceretainly different however.

Perhaps I would like them better if a less prominent colour was used, say a lighter red?

B

BAR

Hi Michel

For my taste.. there's too much red.

If one was to paint the wheels, it may be that black centres with polished rims would reflect the rubber on chrome of the bumpers and side strips and be more in keeping with the look of the car.

I know that hub caps were body coloured, but they look very different somehow.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have always liked colour coded wheels. Mercedes knew what they were doing when they used to make colour coded steel wheel covers, and the look great on 116's and 123's. For my part, I have the 126 pattern (alloy) 15" wheels on my w116 and I have no intention of changing them. However, the plastic wheel centres will be eventually be colour coded to the rest of the car. Actually, the tyres for 15" wheels are much cheaper to buy. 15" Bundts would be nice.......

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Michel, please feel free to paint your wheels any colour you like. You know I am considering burnt orange and dark silver for the PII, and whilst some think that is outrageous, I rather like it. Your wheels look kind of, um, cute? :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You know I am considering burnt orange and dark silver for the PII, and whilst some think that is outrageous, I rather like it.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Your taste is impeccable Professor....

E200K

Michel, please feel free to paint your wheels any colour you like. You know I am considering burnt orange and dark silver for the PII, and whilst some think that is outrageous, I rather like it. Your wheels look kind of, um, cute? :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Burnt orange and dark silver, Sir?

It's a bit early for you to have been on the Laphroaig so I'm assuming the sun got to you on Sunday. Please go and have a lay down.

E200K

We all have different tastes and we don't always agree with others and that's what makes this world such a wonderful place to live in.

Here is a new interpretation of the Bundts, as I see it on the 690SEL.

I'd like your opinions. I do apologise for the low resolution pictures

IMG_0685Custom.jpg

IMG_0684-wheel.jpg

To be honest, on most cars I'd say no but it does seem to work on yours. It's a fairly distinctive car and those wheels add to that distinctive look.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Burnt orange and dark silver, Sir?

It's a bit early for you to have been on the Laphroaig so I'm assuming the sun got to you on Sunday. Please go and have a lay down.
All true Royces were coachbuilt to the owner's requirements. Burnt orange and dark silver was a correct period colour scheme and although it may sound a little strange, it is in fact a very attractive colour when you take into account the lines of the cars. Now, I just need to track down enough ostriches to do the interior...(only their skins of course).
My mechanic often says " Maaaate- go have a pandol and a cuppa and a good lie down" when I tell him what I plan. :eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
To be honest, on most cars I'd say no but it does seem to work on yours. It's a fairly distinctive car and those wheels add to that distinctive look.

Thank you Simon and everyone who commented.

The 690SEL was a project that started as a 'cheap' quick job and evolved into something a little more than I anticipated.
From a 'quick' fix-it-for-fun, it ended up having new front end, new discs and brakes all around, new engine mounts, new transmission mount, new sway bar mounts, news front windscreen, new front and rear windscreen rubbers, refurbished timber, new carpets and I could go on $ and on $...

The paint is what makes it stand out.
Straight 'Tinter Red' adding a little White Pearl and Gold Xyrallics for the wow effect.
Short of buying 18-20" chrome wheels, I wanted to do something different with the wheels/tyres dept.
So, I thought of painting the centres the same body colour while the lip and centre caps in bright silver.
IMG_0685Custom.jpg

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes, I felt the red wheels were a tad too subtle. Chrome yellow would have been a nice contrast and drawn the eye to your technique of cornering on three wheels....:D
However, if you want to be discreet, than so be it. :eek:
Chop-top next? Tubs?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes, I felt the red wheels were a tad too subtle. Chrome yellow would have been a nice contrast and drawn the eye to your technique of cornering on three wheels....:D
However, if you want to be discreet, than so be it. :eek:
Chop-top next? Tubs?
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Hmmmmmmm....
DEVILLISH.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, all that matters is that you like the colour scheme on the wheels of your 690SEL. Whilst your car is a '70s car, the idea of painted wheels is probably more of an '80s fancy - it reminds me of gold painted Rover Mags and I even painted some Benz 15" steel wheels in Gold as well at that time and which I still have. Beautiful paint job - anyone interested in buying them ? I shouldn't digress. Apologies.

Nowadays, I honestly prefer something a little more.......well, I don't quite know....certainly NOT the BIG chromies or chromed alloys - some of their designs can be quite crass, and look out of place on most cars, whatever make. Please no one accuse me of being 'one eyed', but I do prefer the after market rims on 'Gleaming Beauty' - just acceptable, but I honestly think that they really highlight many aspects of the car in general.

So, in answer to your query - on my part, the jury's out, but if I had a choice, I would have gone another way.But I don't know which ! Regards Styria

TJ 450

That certainly looks different and is a bold move.

I have set of 16" Centra rims that I've been considering for the 6.9. Seeing as they are 80's wheels, I've also been considering painting the centre in the body colour, as you have done here Michel.

I do think that they have a fussy appearance when painted like this, but I think the source of this lies in the silver sections remaining. Overall, I still like it.

Tim

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That certainly looks different and is a bold move.

I have set of 16" Centra rims that I've been considering for the 6.9. Seeing as they are 80's wheels, I've also been considering painting the centre in the body colour, as you have done here Michel.

I do think that they have a fussy appearance when painted like this, but I think the source of this lies in the silver sections remaining. Overall, I still like it.

Tim

Can you post a pic of a wheel Tim?

TJ 450

Here are the wheels as on my W126.

centra380.jpg

Tim

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I reckon if you do them like the wheels of the 690SEL, yours would look stunning!