Shannon's results Melbourne 23rd Feb

More threads by motec 6.9

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Indeed.
1973 350SL $7,000
1979 RR Shadow II $15,000
but the Aussie muscle cars, although bringing high dollars, seem to have lost the crazy values of a few years ago
1969 Ford Falcon XW GT $135,000
1968 Holden HK GTS Monaro 327 $96,000

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes they have after GFC baby boomers have been burnt buying them at silly money. Last 5 GTHO3 I know of going to auction all stalled and failed to sell. I have no idea if they sold after the event. But I doubt it none reached 150k all had reserves double that and more. XJ6 and XJS went very low. The new wow car seems to be the Kombi . They have gone nuts in the US so the price here is going with them. But 202k is just silly. :rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes they have after GFC baby boomers have been burnt buying them at silly money. Last 5 GTHO3 I know of going to auction all stalled and failed to sell. I have no idea if they sold after the event. But I doubt it none reached 150k all had reserves double that and more. XJ6 and XJS went very low. The new wow car seems to be the Kombi . They have gone nuts in the US so the price here is going with them. But 202k is just silly. :rolleyes:

In Australia, the Combi will suffer the fate of the muscle cars :eek:

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I agree . They started going up in price after Telstra adds. But having driven a few. They are an extremely ordinary car to drive. That is unstable in cross winds and is prone to low speed roll overs due to swing axle rear end. They don't suffer from high speed rollovers as they don't do high speed.

sean sherry

Master
Never a truer word " Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder "
There are not many of these Cars that I have not experienced over the (long ) Years, a lot of them were no bargains even when new.
The VW Van price reminds me of the Dutch Tulip Bubble ,which burst , in 1637 when a single Tulip sold for 10 times the wage of the average Craftsman in a year !
Then the so called Muscle Cars ... Point and Squirt Machines were in and still are in the same mould. Once the Ford/ Holden V8 hype is passed into History , who will want them, even at todays more realistic Prices.

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes very correct Sean . They are a Baby Boomer obsession. The Australian Muscle cars have almost no interest with anyone under 30. Even if they are into V8's like my Nephew who is 23 if its not LS powered he turns of. He is so closed mind to them its hilarious. :D

Styria

The Godfather
What's the difference between Lots 27 and 28 - $500.00 that is and, at that, it's a joke. Would anyone want to guess as to what pleases me about some of these auctions ? The fact that I am not there (well, that I wasn't) and that I would not be benign of common sense to want to be the owner of the majority of offerings.

I am probably being a bit crude, but hey "so what" ? Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria wrote: "...and that I would not be benign of common sense to want to be the owner of the majority of offerings..."
Benign means gentle, kindly and sweet. Now you ARE all those things Styria so I am not quite sure what you mean in this quote. :confused:
Regards,
Brian

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Convertibles always command more interest. Yes the Rolls Royce is what I would want but most people I know would go the other way. Reflected in the price. But seeing as most cars at this Auction had no reserve. Means true market prevailed. Having driven a few XJS even with high maintenance required they are currently a steal if body and interior is good. They are incredible highway cars and well planted for drives in more challenging going.

sean sherry

Master
Yes a good XJS is a fine car to Drive and particularly the earlier Cars with the Cast Iron Borg Warner 8/12 Automatic. More responsive than the later one with the Alloy G.M. Turbine 400. Also my preference would be the earlier Twin S.U. Carb. Cars ... as someone said S.U.s are the next best thing to Fuel Injection. Simple and effective.