Replacing Spings with Foam - need help from one of Melbourne's gentlemen

More threads by BAR

B

BAR

Hi Parkes and all members

I have been calling around and found that a business in Melbourne can work on making foam replacements for the springs in our cars, making them more comforatble and secure. They use Huntsman foam, as supplied to BMW and others and was recommended by Parkes.

If anyone in Melbourne (Bayswater Nth) could drop in, then they can quickly take some pictures and measurements and work out costs for this, and make a mould to do this as a small limited production job for our Forum to resell: even better if somone has an old (spare) seat to leave behind fro a few days it would be magic!

If someone can drop in: please PM to me and I will give the contact person and street address.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Great Idea.

I'll be in for a couple of sets (depending on price)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I thought you might be interested! Now all we need is a helpful gentleman in Melbourne.

We have a few here...

B13 (Ian) comes to mind, he had a set of seats (spare) at one stage

Parks

They use Huntsman foam, as supplied to BMW and others and was recommended by Parkes.

I did?

I said it could be done but with a great deal of work, and Id only really attempt it if all the springs were stuffed, reason being the seat covers are designed in such a way they will only fit the spring style because the front border on the covers have quite a curvy contour.......and it would have to be a mighty strong foam to replace the steal frame to hold the cover out

by all means give it a go, but I have doubts if it would work properly, plus the labour involved to complete the exercise might not make it worthwhile....

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I'm still trying to find out what 'spings' are ?
C.M.

OP
B

BAR

The ‘naked’ photo shown is pretty much the style used in the base of all MB seats of that period [and many others I’d wager].

What I'm attempting to discover, by someone visiting the company in Victoria, is if that shape can be created in modern seat foams and if it would be safe.

By safe, let me add that modern seats have a reinforcing base to prevent a body submarining, during hard braking or sudden stop [as in an accident].

The chap I’m talking with is an experienced automotive trimmer, but also now works with a seat pad manufacturer. They make seats for BMW, HSV and others, so they know what they are on about.

It would be beneficial to show them a W116 seat and let them advise if it is a worthy and safe exercise. So if between the members of this forum, a seat can be shown to them or even lent to them I can get the news [be it good or bad]. That’s the first step.

I’m sure that if it is decided that a foam replacement for seat squab and backrest is practical and safe to use, then they can make moulds and supply them.

We can then pay to Parkes fit them to our cars!

Parks

The thing is though how many people do you think are going to want to rip all their springs out of their seats considering its taking away originality and do ppl really have issues with their current spring set up?....please dont think im being difficult or negative im just trying to be realistic :)......regards Brent

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Ah ok.
I have just worked it out,
'spings' are in fact mis-spelled springs.
In which case I am with Parks here;
why would we change?
What's the benefit?
C.M.

Parks

why would we change?
What's the benefit?
C.M.

Some people find that the sprung seats roll to much from side to side especially around corners and find that they get a sore back etc, the benefit of foam is that it wound be firmer with less roll.........

OP
B

BAR

In the same way that a suspension system has springs and shock absorbers, a foam seat cushion in its way provides the same effect.

To remove the springs which after 25+ years loose some of their performance and replace them with a foam cushion, gives one the same effect as a damped suspension. Less bouncing along.

The added benefit would be firmer lateral support under loads, so one would stay more upright in cornering.

All in all keep the driver [and passenger] better located and more comfortable while driving.

If it's not for you, I'm not here to argue the point.

Parks

I must admit im not a huge fan of the 116 seat, I dont find them that comfortable, especially when you have a broken spring on one side, its chiropractor territory :eek:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I must admit im not a huge fan of the 116 seat, I dont find them that comfortable, especially when you have a broken spring on one side, its chiropractor territory :eek:
When they are fresshly padded up by you Brent they are OK but frankly I have to say that Mercedes-Benz modern seats are better. The coconut fibre and foam over spring base is certainly more supportive and less tiring on a long drive. The most remarkable seats I ever used were in my Alfa 164 - and they had velour instead of leather. Tha Alfa seats were supportive and never sagged - some of that high density foam material. Just a pity the electrics were a nightmare!!
Regards,
Benz-Boy

John S

Off the subject a little, but in the '30s pneumatic seat bases and foam rubber were used in some of the upmarket cars - anyone know how long that these were offered and why they disappeared? I had always assumed that they eventually perished and no longer did the job, but I would like to know, rather than just guess.

OP
B

BAR

And is there someone in Melbourne who can visit this company in Bayswater with their car or lend them an old unused seat for a few days?

OP
B

BAR

I have had further dialogue with the good folks in Melbourne.

Now due to recession, they are not running full time on their production for Ford, HSV, Toyota and BMW. Thus they can spend some time looking further into the W116 seat replacement for me / us.

We need to get a seat into them so that they can work out the solution.

We have discussed the front overhang and improved lateral support to provide firmer grip when cornering. All this is a definite can do.

HELP please anyone in Melb with a spare seat frame or older seat that isn't in a car. You can call me on 0425 270911

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BAR (Brian), I have absolutely no problem with you raising the alternative of foam as a substitute for the 'saggy' springs in our 116s.

I think what you need to consider, and realize eventually, would be the likely owners that would want to be involved in what could be quite a costly conversion - if it can be done. Don't forget, once you get PROFESSIONALS involved (and I am not talking about Parks or myself), the cost factor would be difficult, if not impossible, to control. Whilst, no doubt, there may be a good number of 'money people' on topklasse, the value of the cars, or lack thereof, may well render the whole exercise as one of frustration.

Personally, I feel that 116 seats are "okay" - maybe at best. However, in order to improve matters, I personallly have resorted to sheepskin covers on the two front seats. With those in place, I cannot fault the comfort factor. I need at least three to four hours of constant driving before I get uncomfortable, and whilst Parks' solution of padding seats and "supporting" springs may not be the best solution, his methods go a long way towards improving the comfort factor. Regards Styria

OP
B

BAR

Without raising a debate on the subject, which is where I feel your comments are heading, this is a forum established by yourself to discuss views and news and modifications, in support of the W116s.

Seat modification, I beleive is a valid subject. Just as valid as modifications to the bodywork using AMG spoilers or interior when buying AMG seats.

As for cost... one can only know the answer when revealed by the suppliers.

For myself, cost is always a factor as you know, but I would consider that replacement of springs with foam to be potentially far cheaper than replacement of seats with a new Recarro or otherwise, but only by investigation will one find out.

As for deviation from 'authenticity' you yourself have some very unoriginal wheels on your Gleeming Beauty and I certainly find this to be a worthy, if costly, exercise.

For myself, I'd like to do much on the car, but improvement in seat comfort is worthy of consideration. Also the squeaking springs can be bothersome.

smueller99au

Well I reckon I'd put my hand up for this. I have a set of seats I want redoing.

I've got to say, after sitting in Peugeot seats all my life (1960's and 1970's models) - it would not be hard to improve on the Mercedes seats. They really are not seats you can sit in for 16 hours a day. Maybe it's just the models I have sat in that are the problem. Anyway I'll await the flaming responses and still put my hand up for foam replacements.

Steve.