Sandown RESULTS - 13th July 2008

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Ok Topklasse, the results are in.

I need to start by saying, WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... I didn't come last!!

After starting the day by nearly rolling the car (in car footage to come by end of week!!) I managed to get back out there (with the professional help of Ian and his pit crew) and be a little competitve.

I entered into the 'Modified - Over 3000cc' category, while Ian chose to enter into the 'Improved - Over 3000cc' category.

In both categories our Team 116 car's were pitted against competition such as track dedicated monaro's, XA/XB falcon's, VX Clubsport, VB-VN Commodores etc.. and those are car's that appear to have been re-built from the ground up for track racing.

Anyway...

Click on the link below, then click on results for Sandown, and scroll through to the respective categories listed above. The Names you're looking for are Ian Mavric & Cameron Milek.

http://www.ffcc.asn.au/results.htm

Cam2. :)

Lukas

Vorletste!

Your times are certainly competitive with the others, so with a bit of work such as Mercules' mixture / air intake modifications, I reckon you'd get up there.

I do have a question - have been wondering for a while - why a w116 for racing? To me it's like racing a fairlane or statesman in the local varieties, which seems odd, because while they have bigger motors, they are also luxo barges that are not meant to be quick AND nimble. Then again, the technical advancement (better suspension, more techie motor) of the w116 compared to other similar cars of the same era does put them higher up the tree, so it does kinda make sense.

Would it be possible to duct air from under the headlights (where you took those panels out) into the air filter housing?

Lukas

B13

Often, while we've been working on these W116 race cars we've said to ourselves "Bugger this, it was be easier to buy an E55/AMG and win, than build this blancmange into a race car!"

We build W116s due to the economics, they are cheap and have an abundance of power, lots of weight to shed, and a reasonably well set up braking system from the factory.

Someone chosing to build, say, a 1975 Torana has to replace all wheels, suspension and braking systems before they can even start on the body and drivetrain. On a W116 you just make sure everything in the suspension and brakes is in good condition and drop in some race pads.

There's also an element of racetrack kudos... people in club racing sport admire drivers who think outside the circle and build something different, just because they can.... whether Cam or I posted good times or not, we had the support of everyone who'd owned a MB (or any european car). When we gridded up there were smiles everywhere, which the same can't be said for most of the plain aussie and jap cars which occupy the large majority of the field...

I.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Ian's on the money, it's different and people love seeing it. The braking ability with the comp pad's is un-believable... needs to be felt to be believed!! And the cornering now with upgraded suspension is awesome. If I had a little more time out there on the day, I reckon I could've knocked another second or 2 off.

A big issue with HP and performance is the gear range / diff ratio. If we could use all our gears then we'd be much more competitive...lack of LSD and shorter ratio makes it hard to really push the envelope..but the development on this is proceeding.

The times don't mean much at the moment, but once Ian & My car come closer to a level performance (Ian's only had 1 run in his white beast so far) it will be extremely fun to race against each other. And hopefully in the process beat some Aussie chariots of the same era.. :)

As for the ducting....it's already done. But possibly further cold air modifications to come - pending outcome of Mercules advice on dyno tuning etc.

Cam. :)

oscar

Valid question Lukas and I like the responses, but to add another, I liken the pursuit of racing w116's as playing golf. You're always out there trying to better your game and becoming more competitive over time is a bonus. But the main aim is to have fun, experiment and improve the car and the skill.

I've questioned myself when Ian first mentioned the idea of hitting the track in w116's whether perhaps 2 door variants would be the way to go. Sure the outlay on a 107, 123 etc is initially more expensive but they have the same powerplants in most cases and with weight naturally shed in the two door variants they seem an obvious platform to start with, but I love the w116, hence the need to represent and provide a bit of variety for the spectators.:D

You guys did well, it's a shame they didn't put down what car everyone drove because on the competetive front, I'd like to see how damn fast those flying mini's were going.

Styria

The Godfather
Some really well expresed thoughts and sentiments . It's all about recognition, fun and challenge at a fairly (!) minimal cost. Well done guys, and you're going great guns. Regards Styria BTW. The PC over here does not allow me access to the times, so no comment on my part.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I take my hat off to B13 and SELfor50 for their initiative and pursuit of the goal of making a 116 as competitive as they possibly can. Well done and we here on this forum salute you. :D:D:D
Every time you race you do us all proud and long may it continue.

salute.png

Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

:D :D :D
GREAT Pic BC!! I'm printing that out for my desk at work. I'm off to join the army! :D

Thanks for the words everyone.. Really well put too Oscar, mucho like golf! (I actually played on friday, shot 79!!.....9 holes...best part was thrashing the carts in the wet / mud! :D)

More footage to come later in the week, from sandown, watch this space.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You guys are doing us proud, even though I am an armchair racer (at present), I still enjoy reading and watching what Cam and Ian have been doing.
Can't wait to see Oscar (and maybe Lukas) on that track....
Go boys go.......:p

Lukas

Whoa there - I had a go at racing once with uni and Forumla SAE (build and race your own little open-wheeler) - went like stink and great car, but I quickly learned / was reminded that I'm a crap driver. Would love to build another one of those one day, but perhaps after I win the lottery.