VIDEOS - Sandown 13th July 2008

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Here they are... :)

1st one has the 'incident' at about the 4:30 mark. This is where I nearly rolled the car. I hit the ripple strip sideways at somewhere between 120-150km/h, and the saving grace was the rear right wheel hitting the kitty litter flicking me back around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJKQ4DT9cM

2nd one is the first run out after 'repairs'. Not a bad run, felt good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RBh1gN79AM

3rd vid is the fastes lap(s) of the day and final run. It was getting dark (bout 6pm) but there were a couple corners with sun directly in my eyes.. You should notice much quicker cornering throughout the esses due to learning the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1FkhJy-mkg

Anyway, enjoy!

PS.. Turn UP the Sound REALLY LOUD!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Lukas

Nice - the engine sounds good on the straights. Is a pity about the auto box though - pretty much everything else (non-Mercedes) on the track would've been manual wouldn't it?

Was someone really racing an Excel?

B13

I was quite pleased with my auto's effort on that day. The best you can hope for when competing in an auto is that when you move the selector, it responds quickly and selects the new gear without any slipage.

As we know the MB V8 autos are very tough and had no problem being handled manually. I think with the correct diff ratio to maximise the torque spread of the engine then the auto is adequate for what we were doing. I did notice that 2nd was sometimes too tall to get away quickly, and 1st was too low, meaning that coming onto the front straight if I held 2nd I wouldn't get as good sling-shot onto the front straight then if I was to put it into 1st at 3500 rpm and hold it there until 5500.

How I drove:

On take-off I'd start in 1, and make my way up to 2 then D, changing at 5000.

On coming up to a corner I'd hit the brakes and at the same time click back to 2. Depending on the arc of the turn and the predicted speed at the end of it I either decide to stay in 2, or pull back to 1.

When pulling back to 1, its quite a violent change at any speed, due to engine braking and its easy to bring on compression-lockup, so I only do with with some revs on, like I would in a manual car.

Although the sound from Cam's V8 makes it sound like there is an inordinately long shift time, in reality its very quick and you can feel the change in forward momentum more than is noticeable listening to it in the videos. When you go from 2 to D at 6000rpm, the engine doesn't immediately drop 2000rpm, it just sorta drifts back to the new lower rev range at the excess revs are absorbed by the torque converter.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: my use of revs (max at 5000 or 5500) is much lower than Cam's due to my worn out engine and stretched timing chain. Pushing the car any harder just makes smoke / noise but no more power/speed.

Ian.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Well said Ian!

The auto box is just fine, if only it had 1 more gear and a better diff ratio.. ;)

As stated, it doesn't seem like it in the video but the kick from 1-2 is REALLY 'feelable' in the car. The change from 2nd - 3rd isn't as noticeable but still kicks.
I was changing gears mostly at 6k/rpm's and occasionally a little more or little less.

The 3speed auto would be really good if the diff ratio was shorter / LSD etc. Though to off set it, my next step will be increase the HP, then swapout for a 6.9 diff. (taller ratio but with extra HP will be able to squeeze it nicely)

All I can say is, after all i've put my gear box through it doesn't miss a beat.. Testament to German Engineering! :)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

OH, and yes.. there was an Excel there.

He had the newer yokohama a048r's (r spec semi slicks) and i'm pretty sure a few other mod's that couldn't be seen.. like engine chip etc.

Styria

The Godfather
OH, and yes.. there was an Excel there.

He had the newer yokohama a048r's (r spec semi slicks) and i'm pretty sure a few other mod's that couldn't be seen.. like engine chip etc.

I reckon you guys are doing fantastically well - nothing better than putting your mouth where your wallet is - and, and.....I AM NOT BEING DISRESPECTFUL IN ANY WHICH WAY. Regards Sryria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Thanks Styria, your support is appreciated! And no offence taken at all.. ;)

oscar

Was someone really racing an Excel?

LOL. Funny isn't it. Have to ask that guy why if I see him again.

I noticed how low the sun was getting Cam, a couple more laps it would've been a night race. 24hr endurance racing, :eek: man that would be interesting. Great vids Cam.;)