Team 116 #1 - Checklist for Sandown

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Ok Peoples, next event is 13th July @ Sandown.

My 'To-Do List' from Winton is below, with a heap of extra's added:

Everything in bold is already done. I'll bold things up as I do them over the coming fortnight.

• New rotors (drilled / vented) plus hopefully some sort of ducting down to the discs for cold air
  • New shocks - Re-built Bilsteins
  • New Springs - Lowered - K-MAC customs, Firm as f*k
  • New diff (as talked about 3.46:1 LSD from 350SLC)
  • New Competition pads' (same as Ian's hunted down)
  • Fix o-ring on master cylinder & swapout master cylinder @ same time (not too bad, but has to be done)
  • More tyres (picking them up on 19th of april, or the 29th or the 12th at either 1200, 1900 or 2900 hrs.. don't ask!)
  • Pleather of death installed.
  • exhaust chopped at 1st muffler - stuck out the side.
  • Sway Bar Rubbers
  • L&R Upper Control Arms
  • L&R Tie Rod Ends
  • L&R Lower Control arm
  • Lower Ball Joints (Front)
  • Steering Damper
  • Wheel alignment
  • New Spark Plugs
  • Oil filter / change
  • Fuel filter
  • Transmission service
  • Remove ALL External A/C equipment (compressor, condensor, piping)
  • Remove all interior
  • Install bucket seat
  • Remove Sunroof
  • Re-paint & apply de-cals
  • Customise Air Intake

Last edited:

oscar

Pleather of death ??? Please explain

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the car performs with the suspension upgraded. Got more questions.

Are you planning on doing all that list before Sandown? I'm impressed how much you've done so far and like the sound of some changes like the side exhaust:cool: I can see flames on the overrun already:D This is great stuff.

B13

Pleather of death ??? Please explain

Its his secret weapon which will make TeamW116#1 faster than all other cars in the category with his nifty driftness ;)

I.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Pleather of death? Secret weapon!! Will be revealed in the coming weeks. :D

The suspension upgrade combined with the diff will = pleather of death x 2! :D ;)

Exhaust getting done on Monday... Can't wait either. Been sounding like shyte since Winton.

The rotors are the only thing that might not be done, pending delivery. The rest of the list will be 100% complete. :cool:

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Ok Peoples, next event is 13th July @ Sandown.

My 'To-Do List' from Winton is below, with a heap of extra's added:

Everything in bold is already done. I'll bold things up as I do them over the coming fortnight.

• New rotors (drilled / vented) plus hopefully some sort of ducting down to the discs for cold air
  • Fix o-ring on master cylinder & swapout master cylinder @ same time (not too bad, but has to be done)
  • More tyres (picking them up on 19th of april, or the 29th or the 12th at either 1200, 1900 or 2900 hrs.. don't ask!)
  • Sway Bar Rubbers
  • L&R Upper Control Arms
  • L&R Tie Rod Ends
  • L&R Lower Control arm
  • Steering Damper
  • Wheel alignment
  • New Spark Plugs
  • Oil filter / change
  • Fuel filter
  • Transmission service
  • Remove all interior
  • Install bucket seat
  • Remove Sunroof
  • Customise Air Intake

So the shocks are now in also... Got her back today.

I don't believe there is a 116 anywhere in the world with suspension like this... you'll understand what I mean when you see it. :eek:

Pics to come tomorrow, at the end of the working bee.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

A few more things ticked off yesterday... Sorry for no pics, forgot the camera and was at the workshop all day. Also sorry to BB & Lukas, thought i'd be quicker and get to doing the other fun stuff (ripping sh!t out) but got stuck up on hacking out guards to stop the rubbing / catching from the new springs.

Quick speil, the new springs were fitted by MB Spares on friday and finished up at 5pm. All the turning had to be done with the right foot cause they were such a tight fit.

The guards have now been cut out and flared a bit and there is no more rubbing.

Let me tell you, YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A 116 THAT HANDLES THIS F*KN GOOD!!!!!!!! :eek:
Word's can't explain it, you point it and it goes there. I need to get the bucket seat in cause I nearly threw myself out the passenger window yesterday. :D

Pics are coming, please be patient.

Cam. :)

• Sway Bar Rubbers
  • L&R Upper Control Arms
  • L&R Tie Rod Ends
  • L&R Lower Control arm
  • Steering Damper
  • Wheel alignment
  • New Spark Plugs (Beru 4 prong mofo's)
  • Oil filter / change
  • Fuel filter
  • Transmission service
  • Remove all interior
  • Install bucket seat
  • Remove Sunroof
  • Customise Air Intake
  • Hack up & flare guards to allow for stupidly low, rock hard springs

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Here's some PIC's:

TO TOPKLASSE ADMIN:
Please note, that the removal of decal's from the side are only for the painting to begin. The Topklasse one was just easiest as I could sit on a chair all the way along while scraping.. :eek:
The rest of the decal removal and prep work will be undertaken in the coming week.

All A/C parts removed from in front of the radiator
280608001.jpg

A/C compressor removed from engine bay and all plumbing blocked off
280608002.jpg

Some orange bits... :D
280608003.jpg

Drivers Side Re-build (new springs, new shocks[bilsteins that have been played with], new upper control arms and all the other good stuff_
280608004.jpg

Passenger Side Re-build (same as driver's side)
280608012.jpg

Drivers side clearance (not much but there's f*k all travel in the suspension) :D
280608005.jpg

Rear
280608007.jpg

Long view
280608011.jpg

To stop me being thrown out the window (not fastened yet, just measuring up)
280608009.jpg
Front
280608010.jpg

Soooooo........ whadya's think about the height? :D

-bb-

Noble
Sure is looking the goods.

You were right when you said it was low :D

Will it get up on a car float at that height ?

B13

Oh thats sweet-as bro!

I can see from the rear wheel arch its bloody low - the front don't look too low until you realise the arch has been cut away to accomodate the wheel. Looks very business like.

Keen to know how you removed the a/c compressor...

Cheers,

Ian.

oscar

Dude, those springs are so toight!!! :cool:

It's hard to tell from the pics but do the rear wheels look like / \ or are they still vertical? You've been busy, can't wait to see it up close. Keep em coming.

B13

Being slightly / \ on the wheels is never a bad thing for good cornering power.

But boy the the tyres sure know about it!

I.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

It's got a nice amount of neg camber on the rear.. but it's not crazy.
If anything it's nose down a little at the front. Contemplating putting another spacer in the front?. Haven't done any 'fully hectic' braking from high speed down to stop yet. So don't know how much the front holds up under full load. Might be best to put 1 more spacer in just for good measure.

Ian, the A/C stuff, i'm pretty sure, was just cut off with bolt cutters or something... The lad's at MB Spares did it while they were re-building the front end.

Next on the list is Pleather of Death (half way there), Paint (this week), Fasten the harness, Swapout the seat & Cold air intake duct(s).

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Few new things done. Brake pads installed. (haven't tested properly, and won't be able to until Sandown).

P-leather of death has not been 'approved' for install, photos will be posted on saturday.

The Diff, i'm pretty cut. No-one has one. Not gonna opt for the single spinner 3.46:1 until Ian and I have lined the cars up next to each other and confirmed which is the better option (possibly track based too).

Exhaust has been tightened, re-bracketed and has resulted in a tasty full tone. :cool:

Discussions have commenced regarding the install of a race cam, awaiting final negotiations.

..that's about it for now. :)

• New diff (as talked about 3.46:1 LSD from 350SLC) Update - Nobody in Australia (that i've spoken to) can source me an LSD diff, other than the 6.9 extremely tall ratio.. :mad:
  • Pleather of death installed. - Emphasising the word death, this is no longer a feasible 'upgrade'. Photo's will be posted on Sat.
  • exhaust chopped at 1st muffler - stuck out the side. This was also not a feasible upgrade due to legalitys, instead a 're-jig' of the curren system was undertaken and exhaust is now quite 'tasty'. ;)
  • Sway Bar Rubbers
  • L&R Upper Control Arms
  • L&R Tie Rod Ends
  • L&R Lower Control arm
  • Steering Damper
  • Wheel alignment
  • New Spark Plugs (Beru 4 prong mofo's)
  • Oil filter / change
  • Fuel filter
  • Transmission service
  • Remove all interior
  • Install bucket seat
  • Remove Sunroof
  • Customise Air Intake
  • Hack up & flare guards to allow for stupidly low, rock hard springs
  • Install of in car race cam (no not me, an actual camera)
[/QUOTE]

oscar

Mate I thought you had a LSD lined up already. Not to worry. I mean, it's annoying I know. Should've been a standard inclusion but it just means by the time I get Povo on the track the difference in times wont be that embarrassing for you:p:D

I'm still amazed how much of that list you've accomplished so far. Awsome! All I've done over the past week or two is get quotes for tyres today. I'm going Bridge's RWL s340 Eagers. Not sure what size yet though, 14's or 15's. Rather than search for 2nd hand real race tyres that a re gonna cost a bit to freight, I figured I'd go for sexy RWL's with a bit of performance cred that I'll use on the 350 most of the time.

What about the slotted cross drilled discs? Where do you get em? I saw an ebay ad that does them but I dunno. I've been eyeing em off for ages and checking out any neg feedback to check what the probs are. the postage is a bit rich too. Look here At best they'll be a later add on after I learn to handle povo on the track but I'd rather buy local if I could when the time comes.

Photos on saturday eh? Show me the Pleather:D

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Mate I thought you had a LSD lined up already. Not to worry. I mean, it's annoying I know. Should've been a standard inclusion but it just means by the time I get Povo on the track the difference in times wont be that embarrassing for you:p:D

I'm still amazed how much of that list you've accomplished so far. Awsome! All I've done over the past week or two is get quotes for tyres today. I'm going Bridge's RWL s340 Eagers. Not sure what size yet though, 14's or 15's. Rather than search for 2nd hand real race tyres that a re gonna cost a bit to freight, I figured I'd go for sexy RWL's with a bit of performance cred that I'll use on the 350 most of the time.

What about the slotted cross drilled discs? Where do you get em? I saw an ebay ad that does them but I dunno. I've been eyeing em off for ages and checking out any neg feedback to check what the probs are. the postage is a bit rich too. Look here At best they'll be a later add on after I learn to handle povo on the track but I'd rather buy local if I could when the time comes.

Photos on saturday eh? Show me the Pleather:D

I reckon Povo will be quite a head turner when she gets to the track.. ;)

So you're going brand new tyres?? What sorta coin will they be? And what wheels will you be using?

I'll be going the DBA rotors probably.. got the part number from MB Spares and can order them from Repco. Bout the same cost as the ones on the web. I'll dig the part number out for you. They're slotted / hardened (and i think cross drilled).

Can't wait to pic up the pleather.. ;)

oscar

There's four sizes of those tyres, 2x14's, 2x15's, go from $190 to $220 each and they're no longer making them. Have to check how old they are. In one size there's only 8 left and the one in most supply there's only 20 left. Should be able to sneak em on the CC without the boss knowing:D and get the steering done at the same time. I was always going to get RWL tyres for the 350 anyway but they may stay permanently on povo.

The following pics are of a set I found the other day at our workshops which I could've got for nothing. I thought maybe good for a few races due to wear but they're too old. I wrote the date code down but forgot what it was. Three digits anyway which means pre 2000 DOM.

The SF340's pictured were replaced with S340's that are the same except the new type has tread instead of a full slick band in the middle.

Clicka for bigga

B13

Simon, dude, grab the freebees... 2000 isn't that old, and once you've done a few hard corners and got them up to temperature you'll wear away the hardened outer layer. Or do a few burnouts.

For your $ the SF340 isn't a real great performance tyre. I mean it looks awesome with the RWL but its really for show cars and hasn't much more performance than a BFG T/A and is roughly on par with a Yokohama 352 (and they are both RWL). In fact if you can find Yoko 352 in 14" at around the same price as the SF340s or BFG T/A then thats the preferable tyre. Its much more sporting, not just for show.

They'll be better than any cheap radial that John Q Public would have fitted to a stock W116, but not have the handling of the XWX or any performance tyre thats newer. That said it can be hard to find performance tyres to fit 14 and 15 inch wheels these days...

I'll do a little research and come back with some good tyre choices in 14 and 15 in that aren't R-spec tyres, but as Cam will testify, once you start competing in R-spec tyres you'll never go back...

I.