Wheel bolt Hangers

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
A little while ago I bought a wheel Bolt Hanger to ease the fitting of C Class Wheels. On the net for six Dollars something. I need two more but now cannot find supplier from China/Hong Kong. Plenty via USA Sites $30/ $40. I made one from a 14MM Bolt .. can't find a local supplier either ????? :confused:

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thinking back since my first new Merc, in '72 and quite a number since then..
all the older cars had wheel GUIDE PINS IN THE TOOL kITs So there must be plenty around in the wrecked Cars Over to you Styria and Mark ???

abl567

Super Moderator
I have a W109 one on my desk, somewhere.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Bolt hangers are not required for the Spirit. It has the bolts located in the hub so one simply hangs the wheel on the bolts and spins on the brass nuts to hand tight. The LHS has anti-clockwise thread to keep them tight when the car goes forward. R-R used this system for many years and it's simple and clean.
With the ML I struggle to hold and centre the wheel and tyre - it simply weights too much and a bolt hanger would be most useful Fortunately, there is one in the otherwise sparse toolkit.
Regards,
Brian
Ps: Patrick would of couse polish the brass nuts with Brasso just to be sure they were clean. :D

Patrick_R

Grand Master
C”mon now Brian,
Not a bad idea mate, but I thought you knew me better than that :eek:

That would be classed as over finishing.

I hand filed every single one of my Shadow brass nuts with a dead smooth file, then hand finished with 800 wet and dry on glass for a flat finish.

Yes, I did actually do this.
Along with hand polishing the inside of each hub cap, and rims.

Unfortunately my hard drive is at work, so I can’t dig out the pics.

I may have to delve into the RR owners forum :D

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Search "Mercedessource" to see excellent article on R & R heavy Merc. wheels.
Hanger Bolt essential, both off and on. I found that using two .. one short and one long. Stops the wheel spinning when trying to start one lug. refitting.:cool:

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Misleading advertising ..No downright Fraud !! Pictures of two Bolts with a price to buy with free freight. Open these Sites to find that the final price is
twice or three times more than:mad: the advertised cost. Most of these Sites I found quote U.K. Pounds but are sourced from China.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,
What about going to Bunnings and buying the correct thread bolt (or 2) and cut the heads off them?

Cost f ew dollars and 2 minutes with a hacksaw.

Oversize

Grand Master
The tool kit pins are only alloy & corrode. The worst bit is the threads are short & the pins bend easily with the weight of a wheel/tyre. DIY I think

Pete49

Distinguished
I got a couple 3 inch (75mm) high tension bolts from Autopro and cut the heads off with a side grinder. They fit well and don't bend easily either. :D
Pete

Styria

The Godfather
Thinking back since my first new Merc, in '72 and quite a number since then..
all the older cars had wheel GUIDE PINS IN THE TOOL kITs So there must be plenty around in the wrecked Cars Over to you Styria and Mark ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean, genuine ones are quite difficult to come by. I think most owners didn't know their application. You see very few about. Benz Boy has found some great Internet Choices and Pete also has a great solution by purchasing hardened bolt(s), grinding off the head and cutting a slot into the head of the bolt.

I do have the correct Mercedes part in my tool kit that I put together with the help of Parks. However, usually it's hidden in a drawer and not always close to hand. The 18" Taiwanese wheels on Gleaming Beauty, whilst fantastic in quality, are very heavy - the proverbial ton for each one. In my present physical state I am unable to lift them into place so that I can fit at least one locating bolt. However, I have found a way to overcome this. Prior to attempting to offer up the rim , I lean it against the hub and then lower the car into position with the Mercedes lifting jack until both units are the correct height in relation to each other. It is then fairly straight forward to push the rim against the hub, line up the holes and insert the wheel bolt. That's my way of doing it, if I have to. Hope that helps. Regards Styria

N.B. Talking about jacking up 6.9s by means of the Mercedes lifting jack - it can be quite dangerous as I have known cars to move forward or back unless the wheels are chocked with a piece of timber or the genuine chocks available from Mercedes and also part of the tool kit. The design of the lifting jack is diabolical and downright dangerous. Worst design I have come across. Early models of the "60s, particularly the 300s (Finnies) did in fact have studs to which the wheels were offered up to and then secured by wheel nuts.

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Could not agree more Michel about any car Jack. I have drummed into the heads of my Daughters... do not trust any Jack always use a Stand !
Hydraulic Vehicle Hoists are also dangerous... many mechanics have been injured and killed. In my own Workshop i have lost count of the time i found that the safety locks were not engaged... the rams can fail. Protecting People against themselves.... The only way i could get the staff to wear steel capped Boots was to supply them. :(

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Most suppliers I found don't have 14MM.. 12 to 16 includings Bunnings ..Why
I did find a company in Mona Vale who stock them 99976068