Cranky about non-original chrome wheel arch trims!!!

More threads by 6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
Hi All -

I have surprised myself at how annoyed I am regarding the scourge of non-original chrome wheel arch trims fitted to seemingly the majority of 107s and 116s (and 126s, 140s too) out there in Carland. (Apologies to those Members and guests who have and/or like them. No offence intended).

I have been surfing carsales.com.au and all the other usual haunts and just about every 107 has them.

Only the W100 had them as original trim if I am correct. And for a reason.

Which new and used dealers in Oz have routinely fitted these things, harbouring moisture, dirt and rust? Who are the guilty ones?

If MB had meant them to be there (Bracq, Sacco, Arcardipane et al in the styling department), they would have designed them in at source.

Yours crankily.

B13

I even have them on my race car:

Picture%20or%20Video%202760%20Standard%20e-mail%20view.jpg

I.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have even seen extensive rust in wheel arches without stailess steel trim.

I do agree, however, that they could increase the probability of rust in wheel arches.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi 6.9 forever, regarding the M100 series cars - do you know the reason why the wheel arch moulds were fitted to those models ? You do raise a very valid point in relation to dirt and rust issues pertaining to cars fitted with those moulds - I used to have them on Gleaming Beauty, but I removed them prior to respraying the car about ten years ago.

I think you'll find that it was probably Used Car Dealers that were fitting them to cars prior to putting them up for sale. 116s and 107s lent themselves well to "titilating" with all the chrome that came as standard on our cars - a little more chrome "couldn't hurt". Also, if you cast your mind back probably ten to fifteen years, dealers also used to retrofit Bundts that were shod with Pirelli P77 whitewall tyres. They did look nice, and were probably instrumental in some successful sales.

BTW, what are you doing looking at 107s et al ? :D Regards Styria

N.B. .............and you must not be cranky !

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I think those chrome wheel arches look great on 116 and 107 vehicles

It was simply the (waning) era of the chrome bumpers and as such, chrome wheel arches would simply match.

As long as you wash your car and make sure you flush whatever is hiding behing the arches (simply put your hose on to it and it would clean it), you shouldn't have any rust problems.

Any mold on a car is a potential rust hideway if you don't clean your vehicle well.
I admit, that the wheel arches have more of a tendency to harbour dust, soil and sand from the road, but so does any other mold on the car if you don't give them the attention they deserve when cleaning your car.

Last edited:
OP
6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
Right, got that out of my system!

Styria (re your question), I WANT an original 107 ... either an SL or SLC. Have loved them since the day they were born. When and if I find the right one (sans chrome arch trims, with Fuchs alloys) I won't be able to help myself. Saw a beautiful Inca red/Tobacco leather/Fuchs alloys, 450SL at MB World at Brooklands last month (23,000 miles) that I couldn't take my eyes of.

On another note, my C320 is going next week. Today I ordered a new Tenorite grey/Sahara beige leather C250 CGI (W204) which I hope to get next week. If anyone is interested in my C320 (W203, 2004, post-facelift, 90,500km Elegance, Cubanite silver/Pebble beige leather, FMBSH, Xenons, Harmon/Kardon Logic 7, Linguatronic, COMAND, electric rear blind, 5 spoke sports alloys, new PZero Rossos 225/245 etc., just 'B' serviced) then please PM me for further info/photos (offers around $33,000 ex-Sydney).

OP
6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
C320

Vital stats:

VIN WDC2030642R150899
Engine 11294631813896

NSW ARG82N

Fotografa

Right, got that out of my system!

Styria (re your question), I WANT an original 107 ... either an SL or SLC. Have loved them since the day they were born. When and if I find the right one (sans chrome arch trims, with Fuchs alloys) I won't be able to help myself. Saw a beautiful Inca red/Tobacco leather/Fuchs alloys, 450SL at MB World at Brooklands last month (23,000 miles) that I couldn't take my eyes of.

A little something like this maybe? I like it, but i'd rather have the beast in the background. I had to settle for a C63 when I hit the handling circuit though, I'm afraid.

450SL.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Re 6.9 forever's Mercedes he is offering for sale - knowing David, and the manner in which he looks after his cars, dare I say that his 320 absolutely deserves a good home. It'd be an excellent car for a serious used Mercedes buyer.

David also happens to own one of the better 6.9s around - again, he leaves no stone unturned to keep it in peak condition.

Fotografa - interesting picture. Taken overseas ? Maybe I should be able to work it out myself, but I haven't had a real good look. The SL in the picture - do all soft tops fit as badly as the one on this car ? Mind you, an interesting, and not often seen, exterior colour. Regards Styria

Well, it's a RHD car so I assume the photo was taken in England - anywhere near Goodwood ?

Fotografa

Re 6.9 forever's Mercedes he is offering for sale - knowing David, and the manner in which he looks after his cars, dare I say that his 320 absolutely deserves a good home. It'd be an excellent car for a serious used Mercedes buyer.

David also happens to own one of the better 6.9s around - again, he leaves no stone unturned to keep it in peak condition.

Fotografa - interesting picture. Taken overseas ? Maybe I should be able to work it out myself, but I haven't had a real good look. The SL in the picture - do all soft tops fit as badly as the one on this car ? Mind you, an interesting, and not often seen, exterior colour. Regards Styria

Well, it's a RHD car so I assume the photo was taken in England - anywhere near Goodwood ?

Actually, it is the exact same car that 6.9forever was referring to. ;) Nowhere near Goodwood I'm afraid, but I hope to make it there next year. :) Its at M-B World at Brooklands, taken mid May.

OP
6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
Yep, fotografa and I have seen the same car. Inca red. Love it. Thanks for the kind words Styria.