Non-Crayford Crayford

More threads by Lukas

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Is it much different from the Crayford?
Could it be a Crayford, since no one can authenticate it.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel I believe there were 4 company's in the 70's making W116 estate cars Crayford just happens to be the best known . There Is one in W.A turns up on gumtree and eBay from time to time . Make's one just sold in Sydney seem like a showroom model. if you google W116 station wagon you will see there are a couple of different designs some with quite thick rear pillars. :D

260ebenz

Master
Has anyone seen this 190SLT wagon before?

I was not aware the 190SL was ever sold as a wagon has the 190SLT had a Crayford wagon conversion?

Just looking at the photos fairly sure the rear badge does say 190SLT?

Attachments

• 190SL wagon (1).jpg
    190SL wagon (1).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 190SL wagon (2).jpg
    190SL wagon (2).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 190SL wagon (3).jpg
    190SL wagon (3).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 5
  • 190SL wagon (4).jpg
    190SL wagon (4).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tim yes on both counts 190SLT and having seen it before its in Odd Mercedes post.:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tim most weird Mercedes were posted by 300SDude in that post 2nd most popular on forum. :)

Oversize

Grand Master
I must say the W116 wagon looks pretty good!! Hopefully it doesn't rust and doesn't leak.... :):rolleyes:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
From what I have seen W116 Wagons make old alfa's look rust free. :eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes but that is why you would want one in the first place. Apparently Crayford's were constructed in Perth for Australia. I remember the comments on Ozbenz forum. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Apparently Crayford's were constructed in Perth for Australia. I remember the comments on Ozbenz forum. :)

I thought they were made in the UK :confused:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel yes I left out Australian Delivery Crayfords were CKD kits assembled in Perth . I remember reading it on Crayford thread on Ozbenz. Not sure of the numbers but would not have been many. :):eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian will look tomorrow as internet is driving me nuts at the moment. :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Ok been looking this is from Gordon Seems to have been "lost", Bill. Don't know if it was crushed or what ever other fate might have befallen it.

I did wonder, when watching the eBay 450SEL (that John Green ended up with recently) from the Mornington Peninsular, if perhaps that car was the WA Mt Barker example partly resurrected. Given the state of the Mt Barker car, probably not, but I have no other explanation for whence the Mornington example materialised, as it wasn't previously on record as far as I know.

There was supposedly also a red 116 Crayford in Melbourne some years ago, but it, too, has fallen below the radar.

Seems that Oz had (still has) more than a proportional share of these wagons. There have been at least seven known of in Oz - about a third of the total produced. There used to be an icon gold one in Byron Bay about a decade ago, owned by an acquaintance of mine, but even then it was seriously cancer-ridden, living a mere 100 metres from the high-tide mark. The owner gave it to my (then) mechanic for resale or other disposal, and I've not seen or heard of it since.

Regarding my "Rolfwagen", there's a note in Crayview - in a letter from one of Rolf's previous owners (two before me) - to the effect that he had been in touch with the original owner and MD of Crayfords - David McMullen - and that DM suspected that Rolf was built locally in Oz under the supervision of Crayford's Alan Dawkins sometime in the '70s.

I'm not sure I believe this, as Rolf was originally delivered (as a sedan) to the UK, according to the data card, and was purchased there by R Harris from the Majestic Garage in Christchurch, second-hand (but little used by the original owner who was "too scared to drive it much"), sometime prior to issue #139E (1/1976) of In Aller Welt where it was written up with a photo of the two Rolfs. (My wagon was delivered to its original UK dealer on 25 September '73.)

OTOH, John Green suspects that his 280SEL may have been an Oz-built conversion, as there are aspects of it that he believes to be different from other Crayfords he's seen.

The old Crayford Coachworks kept very poor records, I'm told by the company's current owners, and none of those are known to still exist, so it's all a matter of people's memories. Given that there are very few former Crayford employees still living, I can't see the details clarifying any time soon.

It's all rather muddy history, and somewhat frustrating to sort. And sorry I had it wrong from memory it was Melbourne it appears from John Green and as he owns 2 http://www.mbspares.com.au/Information/Newsletters/Newsletter-No-119.aspx

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
As can be seen at least a few Crayfords were assembled in Australia. :) And on a quiet night you can still hear the bondo shrinking.:eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I had OzBenzHead's yellow Crayford sitting in my garage for weeks before he took it home and... much later 'sold' it .

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I have driven past the paddock with the Crayford in W.A seen condition and kept driving it really is that bad. :eek: