The "Styria" Thread

More threads by Des

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, there is no need to worry needlessly about my little lorikeet - he still has (I think he is a 'he') the bonnet star of Gleaming Beauty to perch himself on. Regards Styria

Parks

Hi guys, there is no need to worry needlessly about my little lorikeet - he still has (I think he is a 'he') the bonnet star of Gleaming Beauty to perch himself on. Regards Styria

do you realise your signed in as moderator???:rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Michel, up to now, cost of petrol has never been an issue for me. It is still cheaper and far more comfortable, and convenient - by far on all counts, to use your car rather than using public transport.
LPG is around HALF the cost of the cheapest for of petrol.

I don't like LPG - the tank encroaches on luggage space
In a Statesman you will not be able to see the tank as the boot is HUGE and you'll still be able to put your household furniture AND the kitchen sink (seriously).

there is a power loss
Depending on what system you use, there is NO power loss . New gas systems are fully computerised and plug in the car's computer with fuel injection at its best.

you use more gas per 100 kilometers
AGAIN....Depending on what system you use, there is a NEGLIGIBLE increase in usage. New gas systems are fully computerised and plug in the car's computer with fuel injection at its best.

the tanks are too small

You get an easy 400km(and more) out of the normal tank, not to mention the extra petrol you have which will give you a longer range...

it only creates unnecessary additional mechanical complications
NO COMPLICATIONS WHATSOEVER..... These are state of the art systems....

not to forget alterations to parts of the interior.
What alterations? besides the fitting of the tank in the boot and a filler for it, there is nothing altered that you can see...

That's how I feel anyway. Regards Styria
Trust me.... You are like many people who have misconceptions about gas (I DID ....) as it was very dodgy in the early years.

Quite happy to discuss this with you off forum

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
LPG equiped cars always smell like a....well taxi

bit like what diesel cars used to be like, a black sheep

Des,

The new stuff is fascinating... no smell... nor problems...

G

GreaseMonkey

LPG equiped cars always smell like a....well taxi
I always thought taxis smell of stale vomit and sweaty armpits, with a faint hint of cheap air-freshener!
Chris

SELfor50

Nothing wrong with LPG at all... And funny there's mention of a stato..

A mate is selling a very good quality Stato with electric everything (no LPG but that won't cost much) for only like 6K. It's mid 90's i think. It's Black too! :cool:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nothing wrong with LPG at all... And funny there's mention of a stato..

A mate is selling a very good quality Stato with electric everything (no LPG but that won't cost much) for only like 6K. It's mid 90's i think. It's Black too! :cool:

They were (and still are) GREAT cars and excellent value for money ....

SELfor50

They were (and still are) GREAT cars and excellent value for money ....

Re-jig that price... just caught up with my mate selling it. (which is actually Powells Automotive that sponsor the track car). He said he's only selling it for about 4.5K now. Already bought his new car and wants to see it to a new home.

If anyones interested?! :confused:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Re-jig that price... just caught up with my mate selling it. (which is actually Powells Automotive that sponsor the track car). He said he's only selling it for about 4.5K now. Already bought his new car and wants to see it to a new home.

If anyones interested?! :confused:

If only it wasn't black....:eek:

G

GreaseMonkey

No, you're missing the point. I like some old American barges just because they were so good at being big, fat, lazy old tanks with too much bling and the handling stability of an olive on a wet bar counter.
What would be the point of a non-American car maker trying to be like them?
They could not do it the same, and a Statesmen is a prime example, a bit of this, a bit of that,
it fits in neither camp.
Chris

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, still have no photographs to illustrate that the WH (1999-2000) version of the Statesman is, in fact, quite a gorgeous looking car - to use Michel's terminology. I had always felt that way, and when my oldest boy bought it a couple of years ago (for himself) I was quite taken with the interior finish of ALL components - I am talking about the switchgear, instrument cluster etc.

The carpet, which appears to be of very good quality and the just about unmarked leather seats, are two items that appeal to me greatly, as they do in my Gleaming Beauty. It has all the other creature comforts one could ask for and it DID NOT COST THE EARTH - try and buy a Benz with equivalent specs and see what you pay - but then also, a Benz 'S' class of that period did not enjoy a particularly good reputation, did it ? So, it's all relative and yes, there may be some concessions that one has to make from time to time.

"She who must be obeyed" had this hankering for a used Toyota Echo or a Yaris for that matter, so off we went to the Castle Hill Toyota dealership. You know, 'something little and new, or fairly new, and everybody says what a good car the Toyota is". Plus, $13990.00 drive away, nothing more to pay - it sounded appealing. Not to me mind you as, generally, for that advertisement you get a very basic bread and better car (no Auto, perhaps no A/Con, smallest of engines, 'hubbies' as in hubcaps etc. etc.).

It didn't take long to realize that Toyota DO NOT have that sprt of special, and by the time you paid for this, that and the other, the price for the 1.3 litre version of the Yaris was about $18.5k. with a GPS unit thrown in for free. That, my friends, certainly clinched the deal in favour of the Statesman and guess what ? She loves driving it.....and, in a round about sort of a way, I do too.

Sure, the suspension is not up to 6.9 standards (a good one, that is) and without traction control, one will spin the back wheels at the touch of the toe. Sure, it has the power (I believe 0-100 in 6.1 secs), but nevertheless I believe that a well designed set-up will give you better traction intrinsically rather than relying on traction control to provide it. Speaking of suspension design, the best set-up I have ever experienced is the De-Dion set-up on the Rover 3500S's and Automatics - it is almost impossible to spin the back wheels even on dirt surfaces - and it has nothing to do with lack of power at the rear wheels, believe me !....just a well designed set up with very little unsprung weight as the discs and calipers are next to the diff., the independently sprung wheels courtesy of the De Dion tube remain perpendicular to each other at all times irrespective of variation in surface heights and irregularities, and the weight of the diff. is attached to the body by means of a metalastic mounted steel carrier - a quite sophisticated set-up.

Anyway, enough of me, Regards Styria

SELfor50

Well said Styria.. They are actually quite a good car. The only time i'd buy a Holden would be to get the top of the line like a Stato or Grange / Senator etc.. Cause you get all the luxury feel at the price of a local car. Top of the range S class I just wouldn't buy brand new... I know you're paying for the engineering, but hey. It comes down to dollars vs sense.

Wait 2 years after a brand new S klasse leave the showroom floor - and you'll save about 25% on the price.

Oh yeah... SO GLAD you didn't spend money on a Yaris / Hybrid wheelie bin!! :D ;)

-bb-

Noble
Hi guys, still have no photographs to illustrate that the WH (1999-2000) version of the Statesman is, in fact, quite a gorgeous looking car

Des posted a pic of a car that share before:

WH-Statesman-97-00.jpg

They are a very good looking car. A couple more courtesy of google:

WH_Statesman.jpg

77_MVC2-%20(4).JPG

77_MVC2-%20(2).JPG

77_MVC2-.JPG

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ha!! - Just wait until Mr S has it lowered, fittted with timber, a budgie cage and some of that gorgeous carpet he has in the GB. It'll look pretty schmick!! Don't forget the exhaust too..
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited: