Mercules Rogue Nissan Skyline Thread

More threads by Mercules

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Yes it is true, the 450SEL is gone and a Nissan Skyline has taken it's place and, considering this forum section is assigned for discussion about "your Driving Experience in all other models as well" i thought why not! Here are my observations so far...

This 1988 Nissan Skyline GX (base model) has infinately superior comfort, ergonomics, economy, acelleration, practicallity, chassic design and handling over the 450SEL - it is amazing what difference 12 years and a Japanese persective can make in the construction of a motor vehicle!!!

• COMFORT - the seats in this car are sooooooo snug and firm, with additional side torso and leg support so you can feel the seat holding you when cornering - plus they are upholstered so no more burnt ass from hot MBtex or leather
  • ERGONOMICS - the seating position is perfect for my shape, all the buttons and controls are within easy reach, the handbrake is in the centre onsole and the key is on the right (like god intended it to be). The cabin is spacious enough for my big legs and plenty of headroom
  • ECONOMY - I have now done 250km, a mixture of quiet cruising and full throttle hoonery and it has only used 1/2 a tank - a tank consisting of 65 litres.
  • POWER - It may not have 160kw but then again it is not pushing a chassis and driver over 2 tonnes!!! 115kw and 1350kg (with driver) with a well thought out 4 speed auto & diff ratio, it gets off the line fast and has the legs to destroy your license very quickly. Kickdown always finds you in the meat of the powerband and shifts are smooth (even after 215000km)
  • PRACTICALLITY - Easy to park, easy to steer, lots of interior and boot space, parts are cheap and readily available (if needed), modified car-owners dream with a multitude of high performance engines that simply bolt in and 3 series of chassis that all have interchangable parts AND everything is acecssible and can be repaired easily
  • BODY - water actually drains off this car, not pool in inconspicuous areas to for rust years later - drain channels are large and effective. Doors are solid with double seals. The paint is in fantastic condition and the underbody sealing is still perfect. Very square but I like it.
  • HANDLING - machperson struts front with multi link solid rear axle, rack & peanut steering are far from exotic but is a proven formula that works well... I have already done things that would be totally unthinkable in the Merc and the shocks, springs and swaybars all feel like new (and can be upgraded with catalogue parts if required)

BUT

The one thing it can never match the 450SEL for is style... but style is not worth as much to me as it is to some.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As long as you are happy Cam....

I don't think anyone else here is convinced.... :p

HansKruger

do not forget safety.

Something you need

I would not be here today if it wasn't for the BMW I used to own.

Was run into by an unlicensed Asian driver

The police who saw the wreck said you would be killed in an Australian or a car from japan

I don't think people understand safety till they need it

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ah - but how long before the Skyline receives the Mighty Mercules Tweak?
I suspect you all need to lock-down your 6.9s gentlemen. There could be a dark night awaiting when Dr Stranglove appears searching for a new heart for the Skyline Programme!!! :D:D:D
Regards,
BenzBoy

abl567

Super Moderator
Yawn..............

I'm with you on that, however each to his own.

I have a 2004 Hilux 4WD dual cab appliance as a daily driver, it sits in the carport...only done 46K from new

A 2006 Kluger is Karens road stroller, dull as dishwater (appliance connection). I washed it once to try and develop a care for it, didn't work.

I've done more miles in SIX 3 in 2 and a half years than in the Hilux in 4 and a half.

SELfor50

Cam, great choice. I know that model skyline well. Mate's older brother used to have one... Was a manual, and turbo'd but same chassis. I remember it so well, cause it's the first car I was shown true turbo power in..

Great choice, i'm a great fan of driveability. And Nissan know how to make a car driveable. I'm certain it doesn't have the 'tank-like' feel of driving like the 450 but they're a world apart and can't really be compared.

What can be compared is the new GTR vs the SL63, I'm pretty confident I know which one is on top in a $$ vs power scenario.

Go the ni$$an! ;)

My 2c.

Cam2.

-bb-

Noble
I like these cars; have owned 3 over the last 10 years. One was a Silhouette manual and two were auto's. All were in very good condition, rust free, drove very well and were reliable.

The engine is the best part of these cars and the best thing Holden did was put them in the VL because it's the only good thing about the VL Commodore.

I would happily drive a good one as a daily driver again (although as with most old cars, there is a lot of rubbish around)... and yes, I agree, they dont have the class and style of a W116 or most other classic cars.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Yawn..............

I'm with you on that

At 6:30 in the afternoon??? Yes, maybe it is time for a Bonox and a lie down :rolleyes:

I suspect you all need to lock-down your 6.9s gentlemen. There could be a dark night awaiting when Dr Stranglove appears searching for a new heart for the Skyline Programme!!! :D:D:D
Regards,
BenzBoy

Haaaaahahaha - wont fit... I already measured it - but it would make a nice proposition if it did!

Good to see the comments, history of ownership and stories this has stirred up. I can easily see an RB25DET (2.5 litre twincam turbo) finding its way under the hood one day (as if I could leave it standard!) but for now I am happy with it stock as a rock. Alarm and central locking went in tonight but thats it for now...

Styria

The Godfather
Mercules the Man brought his new acquisition around to show it off and, honestly, it is a very straight, clean and well kept car - perfect to get one from point A to B reliably and, whatsmore, quite quickly if you choose to utilize the power and acceleration available from the 3 litre engine.

We shouldn't forget that, many times, our partner's wishes, likes and dislikes have to be taken into consideration, and a Mercedes may not always be the most suitable of vehicles to respond to the call of duty - not that I suggest that it has occurred in Mercules' case. It may not have the charisma or heritage of a Mercedes, but then a Mercedes does not have the charisma or heritage of a Rolls Royce or Bentley - yet all the various models live quite happily alongside each other performing sterling work they were designed for.

It will now be interesting what next steps Mercules the "Boy" will take with the Nissan - he's made noises to fit some twin cam unit and, if he does, that should make for an interesting conveyance. Will he be happy with that "long term" ? Talking of long term, I am wondering where SELfor 50 stands with the Fordedes that he bought off Mercules. Must talk to him about it on his return from overseas. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
We all go through 'phases' in our motoring lives....

As long as we are having fun....:p

SELfor50

Looking forward to the unfolding of any work that is performed on the Skyline Mercules!! I'm guessing it may not be posted on here though.. ? :(

As for the Fordedes Styria, shortly after my return it will make it's long awaited debut. ;)

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
UPDATE
======

FMIC1.png

FMIC2.png

Full steam ahead on the mods - Front mounted intercooler now installed and RB25DET going in this weekend - along with 5 speed conversion. The engine is rated at 185kw standard but wth this larger intercooler, full 3" exhaust and the boost wound up it should be making over 200kw easily.

More pic to come - plus skids vids

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Regards,
BenzBoy
You see?
It's happened - an intercooler 6.9 transplant. :D:D:D:D:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Well, by the look of things, it's going to be quite a mean machine - and we all know what Japanese engineering, and turbocharging can achieve.

...and Mercules is just the boy that has the know - how and wherewithall to make it all happen. Good luck with your projecturing (NEW WORD !) Regards Styria

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :D:D:D

Is it going to have a manual or auto box ?

5-Speed manual FTW!

I have the car running now and all I can say if phuq! At 5 pounds of boost it will scorch they tyres on demand in 1st and 2nd - when putting around town it has plentiful torque and lag is so minimal that you barely notice hills or overtaking manouvers - but when you hit redline at 7500rpm the scenery turns into a blur.

The boost will be trned up to 12 ppounds next weekend :D