Mercules Rides Again

More threads by Mercules

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
After the devestating, but necessary, loss of the Fordedes I never thought I would have bought another W116 - I actually had my heart set on my brothers XR6 Turbo... but discussions over coffee several weeks ago at the Concord Topklasse get-together have resulted in the unthinkable.

I am now the proud owner of the 1976 450SEL :eek:

P4130153-1.png

Hailstorms lashed the motor vehicles and roof tiles of Western Sydney last month, in the wake of destruction, the Honourable Member for Sydney 'John S' decided it was time to pass the torch and I am extremely pleased with his decision.

Having just returned from a lovely evening's drive... Parramatta to Thornleigh and Christina's Pizza for dinner, the Comenara Parkway to Lane Cove Road, Victoria Road back to Parramatta - both my partner and I are convinced that despite the small amount of hail damage this is a lovely car.

Thankyou John :)

Unfortunately Cam, this one will not be for engine swapping, pimping or ho-ing, quad turboing or jet engineing - this will be for restoring, driving and enjoying (maybe a little showing too)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mercules, what a surprise to see your thread. However, congratulations are in order. JohnS has always looked after this car very well. I drove it some two to three years ago, and I always felt that it was an excellent performer.

This car should give you many kilometers of trouble free motoring. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Congratulations Cam,

Nice to see you back in a Glamour...:D

I also heard that John S' car, ah ahem.. ex-car :eek: is a great unit.

Well done. ;)

SELfor50

After the devestating, but necessary, loss of the Fordedes I never thought I would have bought another W116 - I actually had my heart set on my brothers XR6 Turbo... but discussions over coffee several weeks ago at the Concord Topklasse get-together have resulted in the unthinkable.

I am now the proud owner of the 1976 450SEL :eek:

P4130153-1.png

Hailstorms lashed the motor vehicles and roof tiles of Western Sydney last month, in the wake of destruction, the Honourable Member for Sydney 'John S' decided it was time to pass the torch and I am extremely pleased with his decision.

Having just returned from a lovely evening's drive... Parramatta to Thornleigh and Christina's Pizza for dinner, the Comenara Parkway to Lane Cove Road, Victoria Road back to Parramatta - both my partner and I are convinced that despite the small amount of hail damage this is a lovely car.

Thankyou John :)

Unfortunately Cam, this one will not be for engine swapping, pimping or ho-ing, quad turboing or jet engineing - this will be for restoring, driving and enjoying (maybe a little showing too)

So glad to hear / see my friend!! :cool:

You couldn't stay away from those hubcaps could you?? :D ;)

:( it won't be quad turbo'd - :) it won't be pimped (too original for that)
But i'm sure at some stage it could be seen "ho-ing"? :p

Welcome back to the world of engineering perfection!

Cam2.

116Benz

Congrats Mercules.
Congrats on the new ride, it looks awesome!

B13

Nice colour and the right number of cylinders.

Good buy!

Ian.

WGB

Wonderful to hear Cam.

I have a Hotrodder son-in-law and he found out the hard way that it is much harder to be a restorer than a hotrodder.

I hope you enjoy the car for what it is and the thrill of making it better and better as time goes by.

Bill

B13

found out the hard way that it is much harder to be a restorer than a hotrodder.

Strange statement there WGB...

A restoration is only as hard as what you start out with... compare Carl Jones 280SE restoration with s class krusty rusty restoration...

As for hotrods, its my opinion that its only as difficult as your planning and what you start out with. If you have a good plan, the required budget, start with a reasonable condition base car, and most importantly not continuously change your mind about things, then hotrods are easy. Where people fall over is changing their minds from week to week and sqandering money..

my 2c worth

-bb-

Noble
I remember the conversation where you were told about this car. Looks like a great buy, especially if you got it for about the amount of money mentioned in that conversation.

Well done.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I must congratulate you Mercules - however, I was convinced by your name that your next steed would be a prancing, black stallion of fine Spanish breeding. Maybe the 450 will do until the prancer arrives?:D
Enjoy the 450 and I wonder how long it will be before it enters the 'modified class'?
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
You will be waiting a long time Benzboy... this one's a lover, not a fighter. I think if anything, I would carefully craft a electronic EFI setup under that jynormus air fiter and tune it to perfection, might knock up set of extractors a snort of giggle gas and.... PSYCH! Had you going for a minute there didn't I?

As for Italian thoroughbreds, I am not that impressed to tell the truth... I sit next to a Ferrari nutter a work all day and I tease him about how Japanese sports cars cost less and go faster :)

Cam

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
I remember the conversation where you were told about this car. Looks like a great buy, especially if you got it for about the amount of money mentioned in that conversation.

I am pretty sure everyone got what they wanted here!!!

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You will be waiting a long time Benzboy... this one's a lover, not a fighter. I think if anything, I would carefully craft a electronic EFI setup under that jynormus air fiter and tune it to perfection, might knock up set of extractors a snort of giggle gas and.... PSYCH! Had you going for a minute there didn't I?

As for Italian thoroughbreds, I am not that impressed to tell the truth... I sit next to a Ferrari nutter a work all day and I tease him about how Japanese sports cars cost less and go faster :)

Cam

I meant a four-legged stallion from the best stables in Spain. Not a bloody Ferrari that will go like stink and bight your credit card to pieces.:cool:
Hmmmm - some subtle mods eh? Well, maybe I should have a chat to you about some mods to a Crewe motor. BTW, chatted tonight to a chappy who has dropped a Lexus engine into his Spur. Saved himself $40,000 in the process. He is now fabricating the hydraulic pump attachments to run the suspension and brakes so he can do more such conversions.There must be an industry there. Mind you, the Concours director told him he would be dead meat if he bothered to enter!!! :mad:
Regards,
BenzBoy

SELfor50

That's such a f*kn sexy engine bay!! VERY well looked after indeed. :)

Good to see it's been taken car of.

Does the A/C, Cruise control, electronics all function sweet?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam2 and bb - Cameron's new 'baby' has a lot going for it - it is what is known as a genuine bargain. Parks and I did a hell of a lot of work on the interior (well, I did most of it) with re-padding of seats front and rear, door trims etc., and it is only the front seats that need re-colouring and then perhaps put some really nice quality sheepskin covers on the front seats.

The car should serve Cameron very well - and for a 450, it even has a fair bit of get up and go. Surprisingly so, accompanied by a nice exhaust note. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
VERRRRRY Nice engine bay Cam....

What a baaaaargain..... ;)

Andrew280SEL

Congrats Mercules!

I gotta admit I didn't expect this to be your next beauty to be showing off (I was more expecting something more along the lines of a cheap 280S with a late model Lexus V8 shoved in the engine bay...:eek: ) but it's really good to see you in the W116 world again ;)

And what a truly lovely looking car it is!