Trusty rusty is running again

More threads by s class

s class

Well, after a lot of work, the car is running. I have to pass a roadworthiness inspection before the end of July.

This morning I got front wheel alignment done.

Still outstanding to be done :

a) hydraulic leak from the front levelling valve - its not the valve leaking, one of the tee-pieces leading to it has a leak I can't seem to stop

b) hydraulic leak from left front sphere - where the big hose connects. I will open it and replace the copper washer I think.

c) water leak - heater valve has cracked

d) brake fluid leak - noticed at left rear when alignment was being done. I shouldn't be the caliper since they were rebuilt, I hope its just some tightening needed

e) check all lights, windows, wipers etc for functionality

f) sort out the H-U-G-E hole in the central exhaust silencer

g) wash car - it needs it after 6 months in the workshop on stands!

Car is a blast to drive. Not as powerful as the W140 500, but impressive nonetheless.

A well sorted 6.9 suspension has to be experienced to be believed.

WGB

You have put so much effort into that car that I hope the teething troubles get sorted quickly.

I am jealous about your new struts and I can see when I have finally replaced all things rubber and leather that at least a new pair of front struts just might appear on the budget.

I have ordered a new pair of A-pillar chrome Trims from Tom Hansen at the Classic Centre and it should be half way here by now along with new gaskets and clips as my a-pillar chrome is the worst bit of the whole exterior.

I still think my car will be my hobby for the next decade - piece by piece.....

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class, THAT is an impressive list of things to do. I do need to ask you - does your wife see you from time to time ? :D You also keep on telling us that it is not as powerful as the 500 - sure I accept that but, on the other hand, how would the 6.9 perform with a four or five speed box. It might run it pretty close then, don't you think ?

I was unable to complete the work on 'Gleaming Beauty' - she's presently all tucked away and unfortunately, I have no fairies that can complete the job. Regards Styria and also good luck with the inspection and everything else.

BTW, I am digging up the odd interesting car in Vienna and Salzburg and I can't wait to get some pics organized. The market over here in Europe is decidedly different to what we get in Oz. Regards Styria

OP
s class

s class

styria, I think the 500's apparent better power delivery is due in part to the 4 speed auto, whichis far more intelligent and quicker shifting than the 70's units. The engineis also very flexible. It has a very flat torque spread with great slabs of torque right from 1000rpm. At the other end the engine pulls cleanly to readline (6500rpm from memory). It feels totally comfortable and relaxed at high revs.

WGB

I think your 500 has a 4 cam unit but the M113 3 valve twin plug unit in my ML500 spins immediately to redline with little real noise and the seven speed auto means there is always a good gear available even though the gearbox is programmed to drop gears in different drive modes eg 2-4-6-7 and 1-3-5-7 or 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 if you really floor it.

Weight of a 164 is probably similar to a 140.

I suppose these M63 motors are even more fabulous but they consume a lot more fuel than a 500 and get you into jail even faster.

Bill

Last edited: