Rusty 6.9 Resurrected

More threads by Oversize

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, the car lives in WA, and its owner is reasonably active on the org. site. I just can't think of his name at the moment. The car itself - huge restoration cost (I would imagine) and many a lesser enthusiast, would have dumped the car. You've got to give him full credit. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Excellent video Mark!

6.9 sure did have bad rust to begin with! :eek:

Look at the finished project the 6.9 looks amazing!

Is the silver colour an astral silver?

Cheers.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark and Styria it belongs to Nathan who is the only person i know that owns more 6.9s than Mark or as Nathan calls it 27 litres off combustion yes that makes 4 6.9s but his dad owns 2 6.9s as well:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nathan also has a database of almost every 6.9 in the country

Tony66_au

Actually it will be interesting to see how TJ goes with his rusty manual 280, Ive been following his progress on DaOrg and its going to be a real challenge.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
This just goes to show that anything's possible and not to give up on your car. So is Nathan keeping tabs on me then?? ;)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark i would be pretty sure that Nathan has everyone of your vehicle vins plus millage each time your cars have sold plus lots of other details . He is the person that caught the clock tampered 6.9 on ebay earlier this year than you posted the sale and was tgen removed by ebay :D

mrkozzy

Never finished
After seeing the video and the rust that his poor 6.9 had, I shall never ever look at my own previous rust problem in the same vein.
To say this guy is dedicated is an understatement!
Credit where credits due.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The D-Jet 450SEL that Jerry is repairing at the moment has a fair bit of cancer in it.
Most people who looked at it 'wrote it off' and would not touch it.
Why did I have a go?
Simply cause it was a one-owner car and was religiously serviced mechanically, although the body and interior were neglected somewhat.
But the body is straight, never been hit and Jerry tells me it's a pleasure working on it.
He's done lots of rust cutting and repairing and he's progressing very well.

I was lucky to pick up (with the help of my mate Gregory) a whole MB-Tex interior in almost imaculate condition from John Green's MB Spares.

Depending on how busy Jerry gets, I might have it ready for Xmas.:D

Here's the car the day we picked it up.

CollectionDayLarge.jpg

WiSeGuYY

HI , very nice video of the 6.9 really work of class and the car looks outstanding , i love it .

MARK , i thought you bought your 6 W116 ??? correct me if i'm mistaken

i wouldn't do it specially if you still need to do some work still as you sated in one of your posts .

MICHEL , very nice looking blue W116 .

but you guys this project took 3.4 years that is too much , i can't bare to wait that long , i'm in 6 month and already BOILING.
WELL DONE NATHAN but i thought NATHAN'S ML was RED

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I just love navy blue! She'll look fantastic when all cleaned up and free of tin worm....

Yes Tarek I have 6 MBs, but at least two are just for parts. After seeing this video I'm certain the parts cars could be saved, but who wants to overcapitalize? If they were selling for the prices achieved by Aussie muscle of recent times it wouldn't even be a question.... But I'm still very hesitant to part out even my D Jet 450, let alone any 6.9! And no I'm not buying any more unless I sell one. Ultimately I'd prefer to have only 3, or 4!

Tony66_au

The huge muscle car prices are gone nearly 2 years now Mark although Ford GT's still command good money as do early V8 Monaroes and the lesser variants the madness is over.

As for cost well it depends on how handy you are or how handy you are learning to be, even paint isnt beyond us if you do the preparation correctly as MT and TJ have recently demonstrated with TJ's lengthy display of elbow grease application lol

Then again im usually happy with a "20 footer" car.

Tony66_au

I finally got the clip to load properly and I've got to say that's a very nice restoration job.

Its rare that people go to this extent these days and I was smiling all the way through the video.

Well done whoever it is, THATS dedication.

260ebenz

Master
The D-Jet 450SEL that Jerry is repairing at the moment has a fair bit of cancer in it.
Most people who looked at it 'wrote it off' and would not touch it.
Why did I have a go?
Simply cause it was a one-owner car and was religiously serviced mechanically, although the body and interior were neglected somewhat.
But the body is straight, never been hit and Jerry tells me it's a pleasure working on it.
He's done lots of rust cutting and repairing and he's progressing very well.

I was lucky to pick up (with the help of my mate Gregory) a whole MB-Tex interior in almost imaculate condition from John Green's MB Spares.

Depending on how busy Jerry gets, I might have it ready for Xmas.:D

Here's the car the day we picked it up.

CollectionDayLarge.jpg

Hi Michel 450 looks good all the best with the project.

Still wouldn't mind a spin in the SL AMG perhaps next year or how about a spin in the 6.9 Red Terror please and would be most grateful.

Perhaps if you are at the Hawks Nest Motorfest early next year which the MBCNSW takes part in might be a good chance for a spin?

Cheers Tim.