New exhaust for trusty rusty

More threads by s class

s class

Trusty Rusty will be running again in a couple of weeks, and the next item needing replacement will be the exhaust.

I have always wanted something a bit fruitier than standard. My intent is to go up in pipe size from twin 55mm to twin 63mm. Still 2 mufflers, approx standard size and position. The tips will be twin 63 or twin 76, straight out not drooping.

My concern is NSW roadworthiness. I will have the option to register for a full normal registration, or a historic/vintage one.

The vintage one seems easier to get, though the requirement is 'the car must be essentially original in all respects, excepting necessary repairs'. Plus a declaration from an appropriate classic car club.

Do you Sydney siders think the exhaust could present a problem here?

A full registration will require your stringent over-the-pits pink slip inspection - how strict are they about noise levels?

I would like to have the exhaust done in South Africa, because a full stainless custom twin pipe like I describe will cost less than $200. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As long as it is not TOO LOUD, your exhaust will not represent any problems for registration here.

NSW laws are stringent, but if you know someone who provides pink slips (roadwaorthy certificates), they can sometimes be lenient.

Yes... I know... you will be a new migrant in this big land... all alone, not knowing anybody....:eek:

But You have US......
We will help...... :D

On a serious note Ryan, don't worry... She'll be right mate;)

OP
s class

s class

Thanks, Michel, I appreciate your advice.

I am not wanting it to be too loud - certainly not as loud as my W140, or B13's 6.9. I am hoping to get something that just sounds a bit more intimidating than a 280.....

B

BAR

I have a new rear muffler, not factory product, but it does comply with the requirements.

It gives a little more presece to the V8 engine without deafening the neighbours.

Located in Sydney it's your for $175 plus postage.

John S

Sclass, if your car has not been registered for some time I think it will have to be inspected by the RTA for either full registration or Conditional Registration (Club plates equivalent)

OP
s class

s class

Thanks John. I have a current registration here in South Africa, but obviously the car will be treated as an import when I get it to Aus.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, someone that knows better might be able to correct me on this. I would suspect that S-Class's trusty rusty may be treated by the RTA as a 're-birthed' or total lossed car (such as has happened with hail damaged cars) and thus be subject to their "friendly and benevolent" $496.00 fee for final inspection approval. In fact, that would apply to any car he'd bring with him.

This fee was introduced in December 2007. Prior to that, the inspection was free ! So, how would S-Class's cars be treated ? Why, we'd want to make sure that they haven't been stolen, or have been mandatory write-offs, he may have to prove that he has a good and unencumbered title, the cars would have to be fumigated, in short, some serious homework will have to be carried out.

Anyone else venture an opinion on this matter ? As I said, I stand to be corrected. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The cars would be would be treated as an import.....
None of that rubbish about rebirthed or total loss stolen or hail damaged or excessive inspection fees. (Styria... you are confusing things here)

s class would have to get aproval to import them (Federal approval) and in NSW it's a matter of import approval papers, blue slip, and that's it....

I think I have imported (more than 50) and registered enough cars allowing me to speak with a bit of experience on the matter.... :rolleyes:

Besides, there is enough information on the NSW RTA website to explain what is needed...

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, I was quite amenable to the idea of being corrected - I am sure, however, you would be aware of that new inspection fee. Whether it would apply to S-Class's cars, I am unable to say.

Several years ago, Gleaming Beauty was off the road for about twelve months. Bear in mind, that she had full NSW registration for some years prior to that. When the time came to apply for re-registration, she had to be taken to a nominated Repair Station for a blue slip inspection, and the car then had to be presented to Penrith RTA for a final inspection to verify title, previous rego etc. etc. From memory, there was no, or perhaps a small fee, applicable at the time.

Having regard to Government's propensity to levy fees and charges over the last few years, it would be surprising if they haven't slapped on a hefty fee for this type of inspection. Again, I am surmising, but I would not be surprised.

Anyway, I hope for S-Class's sake, the whole thing is free. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Several years ago, Gleaming Beauty was off the road for about twelve months. Bear in mind, that she had full NSW registration for some years prior to that. When the time came to apply for re-registration, she had to be taken to a nominated Repair Station for a blue slip inspection, and the car then had to be presented to Penrith RTA for a final inspection to verify title, previous rego etc. etc. From memory, there was no, or perhaps a small fee, applicable at the time.

That type of random inspection is still carried out as a random feature to check (agin at random) the method and honesty of the Blue Slip inspection stations.

The fee you were mentioning after hail damaged vehicles is for vehicles that are less than 10 years old.... They all MUST do a $409 inspection if they were a repairable write-off.

OP
s class

s class

Thanks guys, I appreciate this kind of healthy debate.

Certainly, according to the RTA website, I will have to show all documentation relating to the current South African titles. This will not be a problem as our paperwork is very rigorous here. The title documents are embossed, watermarked etc to prevent counterfeiting. They are impressive. The cars will also have to pass a police inspection here before export permits will be granted. THis is a rigorous and unpleasant experience here, but it will result in formal documentation showing that the cars are not stolen. This will be useful on the Aus side I'm sure.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, S-Class reckons that he appreciates this healthy debate, so I'll follow up on his encouraging remarks.

That RTA inspection on Gleaming Beauty had absolutely nothing to do with spot checks on Blue Slip Inspection stations. For whatever reason (and I cannot remember) the RTA insisted on a particular and nominated Inspection Station and the subsequent inspection by themselves by a special section of the RTA at Penrith. The only other RTA Branch that was able to deal with my car would have been at Five Dock.

To the best of my knowledge, Gleaming Beauty has never had, and still doesn't, have an Australian compliance plate. That could well have been the reason for the special clearance. Anyway, I'll leave it at that - as I said, I stand to be corrected, but can only relate facts as they applied to my own experience. Regards Styria