New front suspension bushes for trusty rusty

More threads by s class

s class

Trusty rusty needs new front lower control arm and subchassis bushes.

The dealer quotes nearly ZAR3100 for two lower control arm bush kits (one kit per side). Thats about AUS$ 450 for the two sides.

Autohaus lists the parts atr US$60 per side or $120 in total. They supply Meyle which as I understand it is not OES.

Thoughts anyone?

PS those prices from the dealer are, as best I can recall, 75% up from when I did my 280SE about 5 years ago.

WGB

I have all the rear subframe and rear arm bushes sitting in a box as my next job on my 6.9 - they came from AutohausAZ and all look perfectly serviceable and were very inexpensive.

I have replaced all the front upper bushes on both my 450 and my 6.9 as well as the idler arm and several ball joints. The 450's came from the main agent and the 6.9's came from AutohausAZ - only obvious difference was the price and the packaging.

If it is going to cost you $450 from your agent you can probably double that here so as my next purchae is going to be the front subframe and lower arm bushes and they will almost certainly come from AutohausAZ.

I love the improvement of stability and feel that comes with each new replacement and can't wait until all the rubber is all replaced.

Bill

OP
s class

s class

Thanks Bill.

For those interested, it seems that Meyle is definately aftermarket, not OES.

This is a quote from AutohausAZ' website :

"
Meyle Products, located in Hamburg, Germany, offers a constantly expanding range of high-quality steering and suspension products (tie rods, center/drag link, control arms, support arms, ball joints, bushings and kits and more) for European cars.

Meyle engineers analyze original parts, especially those with known issues, to develop improved alternatives that exceed the reliability and longevity of the original OE parts. Whether it's reinforcements on aluminum control arms, full-metal ball joints or tie rod ends, enlarged diameter stabilizer link ends, or modified molding design for rubber-to-metal mounts, Meyle optimizes the original part designs. With more than 30 years experience in the European market Meyle has distinguished itself with its nearly 200 improved heavy-duty "HD Quality" technically optimized parts to replace and improve the OE version.

"

TJ 450

I have purchased Meyle parts for various cars and have always thought they were aftermarket. Have you tried the Classic Centre?

Tim

abl567

Super Moderator
I have purchased Meyle parts for various cars and have always thought they were aftermarket. Have you tried the Classic Centre?

Tim

You beat me to it Tim,

Email Tom Hanson thomas.hanson@mbusa.com , include your VIN and he will supply the right parts, quickly and at a good price.

I generally receive orders in 3-4 days, max

OP
s class

s class

Thanks guys, I have sent Tom an email. We will see what the response is in a few hours time when the U.S. wakes up.

Des

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here with some comments and thoughts, however relevant they may be.

It is an amazing coincidence, I had never heard of Meyle till today, My mechanic and I were running through a list of parts he is ordering for my 280CE, the front subframe mounts for this genuine MB are over $600 AU, from Meyle they are $2xx something in price.

Has anyone had experience good or bad with Meyle products?

I always thought it was very important to use genuine MB mounts and bushes as they are made to an exact standard, the rubber is designed for MB safety standards etc.. Take the engine mounts, I have heard that genuine MB engine mounts are designed softer, and while they do wear out quicker in a front end crash they are intended to let the engine "give way" and slide under the car, rather than through the firewall and onto your lap.
However someone over on the OzBenz forum mentioned that all rubber parts are the same unless they are cheap knock offs from china.

Maybe I am muddying the water with more questions than answers.

OP
s class

s class

No Des you are not muddying things. Meyle have been around for a long time. When I rebushed the rear suspension on my 280SE some years ago, I used Meyle and I have been very happy.

Strictly speaking, Meyle is aftermarket, and therefore what might be regarded as pirate parts. However I do feel that they are way better than the stuff tyically considered 'pirate'.

I will be fitting Meyle upper control arms to my W140 (there is no bush kit - one replaces the whole arm) - Meyle is US$90 per side, at the dealer it is $350 per side. Take your pick. Ordinarliy I would be happy with Meyle for a car like the W140 which is simply transport, my query arises because trusty rusty is a full restoration project and I would prefer to work to the highest standards on that car.

Styria

The Godfather
Well, not really Des - the questions you ask are perfectly legit., the answers you may be given will be less so.

Quite often, it depends on who you talk to, but the general consensus seems to be that Lemfoerder make the superior after market pruduct. I have never had a Meyle part fail except one air pressure cell (immediate failure) and reduced longevity from the same parts.

It is quite ironical that nowadays the Meyle cells seem no longer stocked by the after market suppliers - Febi-Bilstein and Lemfoerder appear to be the preferred option. Can't tell you much more than that. Regards, Styria

NB. S-Class - look, I'd go for Meyle in this instance, but if possible and the opportunity presents itself, go for the other lines. Honestly though, how long would one need to discern quality and longevity from product to product. It is really a lottery to some extent. Styria

Last edited:
OP
s class

s class

Styria, I'm just waiting to hear back from Tom Hanson before making my final decision, but I suspect it will be in favour of Meyle from Autohaus. Look, anything will be 1000% better than what's currently in the car.......

Des

I will be fitting Meyle upper control arms to my W140 (there is no bush kit - one replaces the whole arm) - Meyle is US$90 per side, at the dealer it is $350 per side. Take your pick. Ordinarliy I would be happy with Meyle for a car like the W140 which is simply transport, my query arises because trusty rusty is a full restoration project and I would prefer to work to the highest standards on that car.

One could also use the logic that even if the parts lasted half as long as the genuine items you would still be in front and money in your pocket.

OP
s class

s class

That logic is in the simple sense true Des, but changing those bushes is a VERY unpleasant job and not something I'd like to repeat.

Here is the VERY happy news from Tom Hanson :

"
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the email. As a member of the M-100 Group, deduct 15% from the
retail prices shown below. I have the parts in stock and can ship to you
directly. Visa or Mastercard is fine.

116-333-56-15 subframe bushing, latest version x 2 $17.50 each
116-330-01-75 lower control arm kit x 2, $127.00 each
000-997-79-94 timing chain with link x 1 $124.00

Best regards,

tom

"

OP
s class

s class

That logic is in the simple sense true Des, but changing those bushes is a VERY unpleasant job and not something I'd like to repeat.

Here is the VERY happy news from Tom Hanson :

"
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the email. As a member of the M-100 Group, deduct 15% from the
retail prices shown below. I have the parts in stock and can ship to you
directly. Visa or Mastercard is fine.

116-333-56-15 subframe bushing, latest version x 2 $17.50 each
116-330-01-75 lower control arm kit x 2, $127.00 each
000-997-79-94 timing chain with link x 1 $124.00

Best regards,

tom

"