seeking replacement front grill for w116 450SEL 1979

More threads by Goldacre

G

Goldacre

Due to an unfortunate incident i am in the market for a replacement front grill for my car. :(

My panel beater has indicated that he has not been able to locate one in good condition, particularly the aluminum strips across the front of the grill, either missing or bent. :eek:

If anyone knows a location of a good unit or has one they could spare for a 'good for me good for you price' please PM me. I am in Western Australia and postage is no problem. :)

Much appreciated

JG

B13

You can buy the strips new still from MB. The 6 horizontal ones are fairly inexpensive, the vertical one is quite expensive.

I.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You can buy the strips new still from MB. The 6 horizontal ones are fairly inexpensive, the vertical one is quite expensive.

I.

It's the one that goes first... :eek:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I know of a guy who has 3; I may replace mine sometime soon by upgrading to one of his. The grille on my car is quite OK. I has no damage, just that the plating is showing its age somewhat. It came off a 280 SE, the item that came with my car 8 years ago car was damaged. The rubber seal between the bonnet itself and the grille is 30 years old and is very easily damaged when pulling the grille from the bonnet. You could make a new one from sheet rubber stock from Clark rubber, if you did not want to buy a new one from MB, If it became damaged beyond repair, or you could be lucky enough to get an intact one off a w116 wreck. Also Styria may be able to help. You could have my grille for nix. The actual replacement job is very simple.

Styria

The Godfather
I know of a guy who has 3; I may replace mine sometime soon by upgrading to one of his. The grille on my car is quite OK. I has no damage, just that the plating is showing its age somewhat. It came off a 280 SE, the item that came with my car 8 years ago car was damaged. The rubber seal between the bonnet itself and the grille is 30 years old and is very easily damaged when pulling the grille from the bonnet. You could make a new one from sheet rubber stock from Clark rubber, if you did not want to buy a new one from MB, If it became damaged beyond repair, or you could be lucky enough to get an intact one off a w116 wreck. Also Styria may be able to help. You could have my grille for nix. The actual replacement job is very simple.

That's a generous offer - from what I recall, SEL 69L's grille is in pretty good condition. Certainly the offer could be further investigated. Also, as B13 points out, the trim bars are still procurable from Mercedes Benz. Regards Styria

John S

The W126 chrome strips were (it's a while since I checked) much cheaper and more readily available from the dealers than the W116 strips and can be trimmed to fit.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Next visit to Pick 'n Payless junkyard, grab hold of some of those little plastic clips that hold the grille trim bars in. Like anything else on a 116, these clips are of the order of 30 years old and a few spares would not be unappreciated especially if you break a few, or some are missing, which can be expected.

OP
G

Goldacre

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, following on from what B13 and Styria have suggested i have ordered the replacement front trim at a scary cost.

The bloke sourcing a replacement grill called me this morning and says he has found a real gem of a grill but with ALL the front trim missing, i guess someone got to pick 'n Payless before me :mad:

Thank you SEL_69 for your kind offer, this is what makes the forum so helpful when a person hits grief with their car, the forum is a happy family to come home to :)

I guess the clips that hold them in are extra with the new trim?

J

B13

Interesting that people mention the clips. I purchsed a perfect grille from Pick-a-part for $44 and decided that since it was going on the race car it might look nicer with the plastic insert painted black.

Sliding out the trims showed the clips were all OK, so I just painted the insert black, clips and all. Gave it a couple of days to dry and then carefully re-installed the trims - looks a million dollars:

Picture%20or%20Video%201674%20Standard%20e-mail%20view.jpg

So I don't know why these clips are perceived as being weak or non-reusable.

I.

OP
G

Goldacre

Thanks for that Lukas, just saved myself a pretty penny :)

I shop at Autohausaz often and had no idea these were available there, just getting the vertical one now, tops.

Painting the grill black looks pretty AMGish, don't think my car would qualify for that treatment, she looks pretty austere :rolleyes:

Thanks folks, the money saved has been used to get a few other parts to dress the old girl up, looking forward to the next Perth get together which is due around now.

J