Leaking front screen

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
As part of Gleaming Beauty's repaint and restore, I was fortunate in having an excellent used front screen on hand, together with an excellent front screen rubber. The old window wasstone marked, plus had quite a big stone chip that turned into a crack.

As I said, the rubber was excellent, and the glass fitter installed the screen without any sealant. Gleaming Beauty, of course, had been sitting idle in my garage waiting for me to get my backside into gear and complete the re-assembly process. So, she didn't see any rain until the other day. Just driving along, I noticed that a small amount of water was getting UNDER the screen and the rubber, and worked its way into the inside. Driving caused no problem, but the moment I'd park the car, I could see the slight accumulation of the water in each corner.

The design of the rubber is such that it allows water to sit right in both bottom corners, and eventually seep into the car. Remedy is to clean out any debris that may have accumulated (not the case with Gleaming Beauty) and squeeze a moderate amount of windscreen sealant between the rubber and glass. That should stop the leak. Usually, move towards the centre of the screen about 40 millimeters, starting from the corner. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Its amazing how even new rubbers can leak if not installed with caulking compound. Probably a good idea to go all the way around the screen while you have the gun in your hand. What sealer are you using ?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Helmet, I use Bostik windscreen sealant that stays reasonably supple, but it is also very messy to apply and then clean up the excess. Now, you mention caulking compound. Is that the grey stuff that goes just about rock hard ? On 108s and 109s, the metal area around the screen has a build-up of quite inflexible and stubborn-to-remove grey substance - is that caulking compound ? In days gone by, with a virgin screen replacement, one is faced with that grey substance that's quite brittle and one then needs to decide whether or not to chisel it all off or to try and leave it in place. I never know what is the correct procedure.

One doesn't find that sort of substance on 116 screens - at least, I don't think so. Once or twice, I have endeavoured to use after market screen rubbers, but with very little success. Those rubbers don't always have corners, and a continuous length of rubber is merely joined together by glue. What I used to do was to scour for good rubbers in the dismantling yards, and have a windscreen guy come and remove the glass and save good rubbers. I would then clean those up by scraping out all of the old and brittle sealant and re-use them. With your idea of caulking compound, I have been reluctant to use sealant right around because of the mess it creates, but also, after some period of time, it takes on a colour different to the rubber and looks quite unsightly. My God, long post - have I gone round in circles ? Hope not. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Styria, Sounds like the Bostik sealant you are using is very similar to the caulking compound I have used in that it remains soft. Yes it is messy to use. One trick is to leave the car in the sun for a few hours before trying to clean it. Properly used it will provide a leak free screen for many years.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay Helmet. Usually I tend to clean the excess immediately with paraffin, trying to make sure that it doesn't run into the sealant that's already been applied in the corners. As we both agree, it is messy and I am always worried that if I leave it too long, that it will be just about impossible to remove. So getting back to that caulking compound, what actually is it and do you know if it can be bought and where from ? BTW, thanks for responding. Regards Styria

N.B. Apologies for Moderator post - occasionally, although some would say all the time, I suffer from brain failure.

Last edited:

Helmet

Connoisseur
Okay Helmet. Usually I tend to clean the excess immediately with paraffin, trying to make sure that it doesn't run into the sealant that's already been applied in the corners. As we both agree, it is messy and I am always worried that if I leave it too long, that it will be just about impossible to remove. So getting back to that caulking compound, what actually is it and do you know if it can be bought and where from ? BTW, thanks for responding. Regards Styria

N.B. Apologies for Moderator post - occasionally, although some would say all the time, I suffer from brain failure.

Your car try this one.
http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4002

or Wurth makes a good one

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Okay Helmet.
Regards Styria

No comment! :)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Other than Tony's (!), do we have an opinion on Sikkaflex ? I like the idea of the product as it really forms a solid rubber base, but I have been given to understand that it promotes rust. Having said that, however, one would think that it would be impossible to do that, given that it would be located between rubber and glass. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

I hadn't heard of a rust issue Styria but.............

Sikaflex is a broadly used term as Sika have many many different types of adhesive and sealant and the stuff I use cleans up with turps and doesn't go hard for years.

Now if someone used an Acid cure sealant then I can see how it can promote rusthe screen sealant isnt acid cure.

Anyway Details here http://www.sika.com.au/

Oversize

Grand Master
Next time I get a screen refitted, I'll make a note of what O'Brien uses...