Leaking Rear Struts

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
There are usually four problems associated with the operation and effectiveness of the rear struts - well, there are probably more, but it depends on how far one wants to get involved with the replacement of any leaking strut.

Ideally speaking, of course, if you have a unit that leaks and you have plenty of money, you just go out and buy a new one. In my case, I can respond in the affirmative on the first named, whilst the second option attracts a huge negative, especially as a new unit would probably set you back the best part of one and a half K.s - I think, although I haven't checked for a while - like several years. With Gleaming Beauty, I had two quite badly leaking rear units (first problem), torn rubber boots (second problem), I wasn't sure about the bottom ball joint mounts, nor did I have any idea regarding the top mounts - these are very unique, and no substitute will do the job. With the bottom mounts, I have those reconditioned and I have sold them on an exchange basis. So obviously I was well prepared mentally speaking once attention would be required, and some two to three years ago, I rebuilt (with the assistance of an engineering firm) four rear struts and five front struts. They have just been sitting in boxes, standing up to see if there was any apparent leakage. It all seemed fine, although it is not easy to check, and also I have no means of pressure testing a rebuilt unit.

The time had come for some real action - in other words, I needed to put my practice and theory to the test, i.e., to fit them to Gleaming Beauty. The top mounts were only fair, thus I replaced those with two good used units, but now my stock is depleted - there are no mounts left. I also fitted two rebuilt bottom ball joint mounts, together with new BMW rubber gaiters. The original MB units are quite expensive. The question now is - how did it all turn out ? Well, right at this moment, after 4 days and a fully pressurized system, there are no leaks and I am beating my chest like an old Silverback. Whatsmore, it took next to no time to pump up the suspension and furthermore, the car has not sunk a single millimeter since the struts were fitted. Regards Styria

BTW, as of know, we have six members active and I am the only one to post. I am sad - quick, get me that birthday girl.......

Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
It is very encouraging to know that you have gone down that track with significant success, to the benefit of all 6.9, and perhaps Citroen, Lexus and Mitsubishi Verada owners as as well.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi David, I am not familiar with the intrinsic features employed by the other manufacturers. From where I stand at the moment, I'd need to fine tune the rebuilding process before I'd be able to confidently offer any units for sale on an exchange basis - as you know, you'd need to offer a warranty and unless one can back that warranty, you're on shaky ground. However, I have initiated further steps to achieve that goal - and that is to offer exchange with confidence and guaranteed success. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
In other words:
1. The struts were buggered.
2. He put in a reconditioned set.
3. He's walking on his knuckles with joy.
OK - so someone has responded....:D
Regards,
Brian

Thank you BenzBoy, I really appreciate that. Regards Styria

Fotografa

especially as a new unit would probably set you back the best part of one and a half K.s - I think, although I haven't checked for a while - like several years. .......

EPC lists two part numbers for rear hydropneumatic spring legs for 6.9's. 116 320 36 13 is standard, 116 320 37 13 is listed in EPC as "FOR SPORTY DRIVING"

Standard is about $825 for new genuine MB
Sporty is about $635 for new genuine MB

Just need to shop in the right places...

Oh, and those prcices are landed in Aust, not for one sitting overseas needing freight cost added on.

WGB

My experience goes back a couple of years with my rear struts.

1) Torn boots - replaced with new M-B items $75 each.

2) Bottom ball joints - replacements supplied by Styria

3) Top rubber mounts were compressed so that when the rear seat was removed there was about a 1/2 cm gap between the body and the bottom of the top rubber mount. I replaced the top mounts with thicker ones.

4) Two new spheres fitted (actually all five were replaced) .

The problem is that I have the electric rear seat and to get it in and out by oneself is a very major exercise so any further work would preferably be permanent.

I have no struts that leak externally but my right front definitely goes down faster than my left. It is an idea (?fantasy) that I will replace all four struts with the sport versions if they are available at some time in the medium future.

Bill

Fotografa

My experience goes back a couple of years with my rear struts.

1) Torn boots - replaced with new M-B items $75 each.

2) Bottom ball joints - replacements supplied by Styria

3) Top rubber mounts were compressed so that when the rear seat was removed there was about a 1/2 cm gap between the body and the bottom of the top rubber mount. I replaced the top mounts with thicker ones.

4) Two new spheres fitted (actually all five were replaced) .

The problem is that I have the electric rear seat and to get it in and out by oneself is a very major exercise so any further work would preferably be permanent.

I have no struts that leak externally but my right front definitely goes down faster than my left. It is an idea (?fantasy) that I will replace all four struts with the sport versions if they are available at some time in the medium future.

Bill

Front legs, standard is about AUD$900 for genuine MB, sporty is about AUD$700.00

$75 for boots?? :-O

Genuine boots, AUD$32.00

WGB

When my life is in order I may conact you about the struts but probably not this year Tony as I am just doing a complete rear re-build with 560 driveshafts so that is this years budget taken care of.

I think my toolkit came from you about a month ago.

Bill

Fotografa

When my life is in order I may conact you about the struts but probably not this year Tony as I am just doing a complete rear re-build with 560 driveshafts so that is this years budget taken care of.

I think my toolkit came from you about a month ago.

Bill

Are you in Kalamunda? If so, yes, that was from me! Small world. :)

WGB

Front legs, standard is about AUD$900 for genuine MB, sporty is about AUD$700.00

$75 for boots?? :-O

Genuine boots, AUD$32.00

I like the prices for the sporty legs a little better as that is my preference.

Yes I live in Kalamunda and maybe it was $75 for both boots - can't really remember - but I know $75 sticks in the mind and they definitely came from Diesel Motors in Perth.

In fact you can see them in this photo where I am dropping the rear end out of my car.

Rearunitbeinglowered.jpg

I am in the process of posting an epic pictorial on the W116 site as I do a major rear end re-build on my car. I have not posted it on Topklasse because in the past nobody seemed interested. If there is any interest I would of course be happy to send a copy over here.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sorry we have given the impression of disinterest - far from disinterested; more akin to admiration for your surgical approach. Please post it Bill - even if we are not great posters in return. Bad us!
Regards,
Brian

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
WGB: So you live in Kalamunda?.....THAT explains why my brother keeps reporting the 6.9 he keeps seeing about the place! It must be yours!

My brother lives in Carmel, Cottrel Road to be exact.

WGB

Carmel is in the Shire of Kalamunda and I visit a Nursing Home there on a Thursday as well as usually drive the car at least one day a week through that area - usually at speed on my way home from somewhere.

There is a very tidy SilberGrun 450 that belongs to a patient of mine as well as a red ?450 that still roams around but I think I have the only local 6.9 unless ChrisP has escaped from Darlington.

Mine is not hard to mistake with distinctive number plates but it hasn't been out in the past month or so.

2010meet2.jpg

And another one with ChrisP looking suitably disinterested.

2010meet4.jpg

Bill

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm VERY interested!!!!! :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Carmel is in the Shire of Kalamunda and I visit a Nursing Home there on a Thursday as well as usually drive the car at least one day a week through that area - usually at speed on my way home from somewhere.

There is a very tidy SilberGrun 450 that belongs to a patient of mine as well as a red ?450 that still roams around but I think I have the only local 6.9 unless ChrisP has escaped from Darlington.

Mine is not hard to mistake with distinctive number plates but it hasn't been out in the past month or so.

2010meet2.jpg

And another one with ChrisP looking suitably disinterested.

2010meet4.jpg

Bill

Hi Bill, wasn't that the time when Chris' car was off the road already with a suspension problem ? He's been quite unlucky. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Fotografa, those prices you are quoting are quite exceptional. I am of course quoting Marshall Motors figures that I obtained many years ago. I wonder what heir prices would be today - maybe I should check as a matter of interest.

Mind you, even at your 'low' prices, the two struts are still a 'about' $1400.00 job - not cheap, is it ? Would you care to give us a quote for the rear shackles (top of rear hub to sway bar) ? I would be very interested as new units from Marshalls are about $300.00 each and I have taken the trouble to rebuild some units.

Bill - regarding heavy duty struts, you may well find that they are no longer available. Just get confirmation from Fotografa if he can get them. I think all the manufacturers would have done would have been to alter the number and/or size of orifices of discs in the struts. I honestly think that the present 'normal' system already incorporates some sort of cornering pressure compensating system

YOU ALSO REFER TO THE RIGHT HAND FRONT SITTING LOWER THAN THAN THE LEFT - I HAVE PREVIOUSLY REFERRED TO THIS ANOMALY THAT I HAVE NOTICED WITH A NUMBER OF 6.9S - DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ? Regards Styria

WGB

Not sure why the car settles with a lean to the right but checking "Star Motors NY" diagnostic chart the reason given is internal pressure leak and they suggest replace strut. As it sits up straight within 13 seconds of starting the motor it is not a great problem.

I will feel happier in the future with at least the front struts replaced but that will likely be later this year or next year .

I too thought that the sport struts were NLA but would be interested to hear if they are.

Bill