Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 9 - Fuel filter and hoses.

More threads by WGB

WGB

With the entire rear end out of the car the aged look of the rear rubber fuel hoses started to get to me so I collected the three hoses - 2 off e-bay and one from autohausaz as well as a new filter and a packet of copper sealing washes ( The washers cost 20 cents each - there are 5 of them - from autohausaz and the whole job only added up to about 60 to 70 dollars including postage).

This setup was current for all K jets until February 1979 production when the hoses were changed to permit a faster cold startup.

My car was January 1979 production and the hoses will be the same for all the V8's and probably the 280SE motor as well.

Commencement2.jpg

The first thing is to remove the plastic shroud so that you have access from all sides. It is held by three 10mm headed self tappers and mine was missing the front right one hence it had a rattle. The shroud has two holes in the bottom and a 10mm socket on an extension will get at the screw heads from underneath - I used a 1/4" drive as it is a bit crowded in there.

Oldhoses.jpg

They look worse out than in. The small fuel line clamps were used but in reality later models have a valve on the end of the pump before the banjo connection so there is very little fuel loss so long as this valve is left alone.

In my case I loosened it when I undid the banjo connection so I removed it and fitted a new sealing washer just to be sure.

Finishedjob2.jpg

Finished job with the shroud off

NewPumptofilterhose.jpg

Pump to filter hose has a banjo joint at each end and needs 4 copper sealing rings to seal both ends none of which come with the new Bosch filter as well an extra o-ring to seal the one way valve in the end of the pump which will almost certainly be disturbed while undoing the connections.

Newaccumulatorhoses.jpg

Views of the new accumulator hoses from front and rear. The insulated hose goes from the other end of the fuel filter onto the accumulator and the smaller uninsulated hose goes from the end of the pressure accumulator to the main fuel line.

Newaccumulatorhosesrearview.jpg

And here is the finished job with the plastic shroud cleaned up and now securely fastened by three self tappers. Interestingly the 10 mm self tappers are a shorter version of those used to hold on the front wings so I had several spares (thankyou again Nathan).

I also wrote the date of the filter change with black texta on the body of the fuel filter for easy future reference.

Finishedjob1.jpg

I will probably replace the two rubber hoses that go from the other end of the fuel line to the motor but that will be for another day.

Bill

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild - Final Assembly Technical Information 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 8 - Handbrake de-mystified and re-built Technical Information 2
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 7 - Diagonal arm bush replacement Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 6 - Torqueing rear hub Technical Information 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 5 - Rear hub strip down and rebuild Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 4 - Rusted rear discs Technical Information 4
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 3 - Pinion seal replacement. Technical Information 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 2 - converting diff to 126 flanged style. Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial Rear end rebuild Part 1 - Remove Complete Assembly Technical Information 17
WGB 6.9 Rear end rebuild - Pictorial Mechanicals 4
WGB M117 Timing Chain Replacement - Pictorial Technical Information 11
WGB 6.9 Timing Chain - Pictorial Mechanicals 1
5 W126 Rear SLS Strut ball joints - availability? Mechanicals 5
OzBenzHead Rear parcel shelf Interiors 10
S A flighty Rear End Articles 9
Oversize AMG Rear Spoiler? Exteriors and Body Repairs 1
6.9forever Australian 6.9 low in rear but OK in front; also goes to High position at front Mechanicals 12
c107 S211 Rear Suspension Talking Torque 3
Styria Seized rear brake caliper Technical Information 21
Oversize W126 rear blind Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 1
motec 6.9 AMG rear spoiler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
BenzBoy Styria's rear end? Mechanicals 3
J W126 rear seat swap Interiors 1
motec 6.9 Rear Diff mount bush Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
motec 6.9 brabus rear muffler W123/116/126 M110 Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
motec 6.9 W116 rear trunk filler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 11
B FS: [Melb, Au] W107 rear rubber boot spoiler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
Styria Rear Window Switch operation Interiors 1
Oversize Heated rear seat Mercedes W116 11
M Wanted: rear suspension blocks for 6.9 Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 15
Oversize W116 Rear spring saddles Mercedes W116 1
WGB Rear 6.9 upper strut mount replacement Technical Information 0
WGB Rear sway bar chassis bush replacement Technical Information 0
WGB Rear Screen removal and replacement Interiors 2
Styria Replacing rear handbrake shoes Technical Information 13
Styria 6.9 CLACK CLACK rear hub. Mechanicals 6
CraigS WTB: W116 rear seat Squab - Blue Leather Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
mrkozzy Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips? Exteriors and Body Repairs 17
Styria 6.9 Front/Rear Struts Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
Styria Rear Axle drawing Technical Information 1
WGB Advice re Torquing rear hub nut Technical Information 5
Styria Leaking Rear Struts Technical Information 34
K 6.9 Rear Bumper - Bottom One Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
K 6.9 Entire Velour Seats For Sale Front 2 & Rear Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
Styria New rear parcel shelf Interiors 3
Fotografa W116 Front and rear Windscreen seals $150 for the pair Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
Styria complete 6.9 rear end on ebay Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 5
Styria Unique Rear Brakes - 6.3 Mercedes W108 and W109 7
Styria Removal - 6.9 rear suspension valve Mechanicals 0
A 450SEL rear suspension upgrade Mercedes W116 7