Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild - Final Assembly

More threads by WGB

WGB

I have really enjoyed seeing some beautiful engineering lyijng around my shed floor looking as pristine as I can get it but time came when it should be returned to it's place of birth.

Rearassemblyonjig.jpg

It was lifted with the engine crane and placed on teh jig and then the car was lifted high enough to fit it all in again.

Rearassemblygoingintoposition.jpg

The final bolt in to the three mounting points was quite simple with the proviso that it all three points must be correctly aligned to almost a mm before the two front mounting bolts will start on their threads.

Rearassembly1.jpg

I put in a new rear flex joint for no other reason than I had one on hand but I did not use the new bolts as they appeared to be a few mm longer than the originals and came close to fouling on the front of the diff housing. I did of course use all new lock nuts.

Newflexjoint.jpg

There is often a discussion about whether or not certain cars were fitted with LSD - well 6.9's were - and here is the identification plate with all the appropriate "achtungs" about using the correct oil only.

MarkerPlateforLSD.jpg

Apart from the exhaust I found the rear sway bar particularly difficult to fit single handed. It was complicated by the fact that I chose not to disturb the rubber bush in the wheel hub as it is known to be ferociously expensive to replace but eventually by starting the two small forward bolts each side first and then rotating the anti-squat hub with a large screwdriver I managed to get the bolt holes lined up for the chassis mounts.

I was a little less than impresed by the state of the two rubber chassis sway bar bushes but they were not that bad and at $145 each quoted from Diesel Motors I packed them out a little and will get a quote from Tom Hanson when some of his family troubles are a little further behind him.

LHswaybarboltedup.jpg

I did like the look of the new 126 style diagonal arm bushes which seem to be a better design and as I have a copy of the previous rear wheel alignment it will be interesting to see what the change is in the future.

RHswingarm.jpg

Handbrake linkage needs to be connected and adjusted.

Handbrakelinkage.jpg

Heat shielding replaced carefully and the little separate piece towards the rear as well as the shield above the rear muffler need to be checked for rattles.

The hand brake linkage also needs to be checked in case it fouls the heat shield as it can create quite a din if it does.

Heatshieldingbackinposition.jpg

Exhaust sytem fitted which again is a challenge single handed.

Exhaustinposition.jpg

At this point it should have been time for a drive and indeed I did start the motor to check the new fuel lines but I am now fitting up the AMG rear and side skirts that I have so the drive will have to wait for the time being.

InitialfitupforAMGrearskirt.jpg

Bill

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 9 - Fuel filter and hoses. Interiors 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 8 - Handbrake de-mystified and re-built Technical Information 2
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 7 - Diagonal arm bush replacement Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 6 - Torqueing rear hub Technical Information 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 5 - Rear hub strip down and rebuild Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild Part 4 - Rusted rear discs Technical Information 4
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 3 - Pinion seal replacement. Technical Information 0
WGB Pictorial - Rear end rebuild Part 2 - converting diff to 126 flanged style. Technical Information 1
WGB Pictorial Rear end rebuild Part 1 - Remove Complete Assembly Technical Information 17
WGB 6.9 Rear end rebuild - Pictorial Mechanicals 4
WGB M117 Timing Chain Replacement - Pictorial Technical Information 11
WGB 6.9 Timing Chain - Pictorial Mechanicals 1
5 W126 Rear SLS Strut ball joints - availability? Mechanicals 5
OzBenzHead Rear parcel shelf Interiors 10
S A flighty Rear End Articles 9
Oversize AMG Rear Spoiler? Exteriors and Body Repairs 1
6.9forever Australian 6.9 low in rear but OK in front; also goes to High position at front Mechanicals 12
c107 S211 Rear Suspension Talking Torque 3
Styria Seized rear brake caliper Technical Information 21
Oversize W126 rear blind Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 1
motec 6.9 AMG rear spoiler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
BenzBoy Styria's rear end? Mechanicals 3
J W126 rear seat swap Interiors 1
motec 6.9 Rear Diff mount bush Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
motec 6.9 brabus rear muffler W123/116/126 M110 Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
motec 6.9 W116 rear trunk filler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 11
B FS: [Melb, Au] W107 rear rubber boot spoiler Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
Styria Rear Window Switch operation Interiors 1
Oversize Heated rear seat Mercedes W116 11
M Wanted: rear suspension blocks for 6.9 Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 15
Oversize W116 Rear spring saddles Mercedes W116 1
WGB Rear 6.9 upper strut mount replacement Technical Information 0
WGB Rear sway bar chassis bush replacement Technical Information 0
WGB Rear Screen removal and replacement Interiors 2
Styria Replacing rear handbrake shoes Technical Information 13
Styria 6.9 CLACK CLACK rear hub. Mechanicals 6
CraigS WTB: W116 rear seat Squab - Blue Leather Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
mrkozzy Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips? Exteriors and Body Repairs 17
Styria 6.9 Front/Rear Struts Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
Styria Rear Axle drawing Technical Information 1
WGB Advice re Torquing rear hub nut Technical Information 5
Styria Leaking Rear Struts Technical Information 34
K 6.9 Rear Bumper - Bottom One Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
K 6.9 Entire Velour Seats For Sale Front 2 & Rear Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
Styria New rear parcel shelf Interiors 3
Fotografa W116 Front and rear Windscreen seals $150 for the pair Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
Styria complete 6.9 rear end on ebay Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 5
Styria Unique Rear Brakes - 6.3 Mercedes W108 and W109 7
Styria Removal - 6.9 rear suspension valve Mechanicals 0
A 450SEL rear suspension upgrade Mercedes W116 7