Heated rear seat

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
It looks like it's not the original one, as there's no switches or loom in the car (Red Bull). The springs are very soft, the padding's crumbling away and I might as well recover it while I'm at it. Oh what fun!! :)

CIMG6519.jpg

CIMG6520.jpg

CIMG6523.jpg

WGB

I would check the heating pads thoroughly if you plan to re-use them.

I have front and rear heated seats but all seats have been fitted with new pads which seem to be available aftermarket.

Bill

Lukas

What Bill said - looks like a "tinderbox" under there.

I've got the opposite, a car with a heated seat switch in the console and an unplugged cable on the floor (of the passenger side for some strange reason), but no lectrics in the seat itself.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yeah I don't think I'd be wise to hook it up to any power just yet!! The insides of the base were crumbling all over the floor and under the seat. It'll be interesting to see what's inside the RH side of the base when it's dismantled. I'm hoping that element will still be intact, as it appears the LH one has been pulled out by the feed wire. Pics to follow when I get to this area.

Without the wiring and switches in the car, the elements are all but useless to me anyway. I'll consider a retro-fit when I restore the interior.

Styria

The Godfather
I can't believe it, even though I know better, to see such deterioration of trim in our cars. It can all be fixed okay, but costs will always be part of the reckoning. I mean, really, these were luxury cars at the upper end of the market.......Regards Styria

Tony66_au

I hate bum warmers in old cars, they draw too much current for my liking.

Buying new heating pads would be the sensible option but honestly how many rear seat passengers do you carry?

Styria

The Godfather
I hate bum warmers in old cars, they draw too much current for my liking.

Buying new heating pads would be the sensible option but honestly how many rear seat passengers do you carry?

No Herr Flick (!), it'd be purely for personal use on a cold winter's day in Melbourne. :D Regards Styria. BTW, I don't know what made me think of this, but where is Cat Ballou these days ? Vene, vidi, vici ? Anybody knows what this means ?

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sryria wrote: " Vene, vidi, vici ? Anybody knows what this means ? "

A classical Roman inscription used on a number of places. Maybe first used by Caesar but possibly he drew it from the existing Roman culture.
Veni, vedi, vici = I came, I saw, I conquered.
Alas, Julius did not have heated seats in his chariots...:D
Regards,
Brian

WGB

Well actually Brian the romans had a lot of our modern "comfort" amenities.

I feel sure they did not have electric heated seats per se but possibly some hot coals under a metal seat for use while invading in colder climes could have been a possibility.

My 6.9 was the first car I ever owned with heated seats and I guess if you left all seats on the high setting it might be a drain on the battery but reality is that high is only used for a few minutes and then you switch to low.

My E500 came with heated and cooled seats - the heating function has three settings and each is on a timer so that it gradually reverts from high to medium to low setting over about 10 minutes automatically.

Neither car has ever had battery issues and the current draw does not seem to be an issue.

It is rare for the rears to be used in the 6.9 (not fitted to the E500) but my wife absolutely loves the front ones in winter time and I use them for a few minutes after cold winter starts - a little bit of real luxury on a cold morning.

Not so sure about the seat coolers - feels weird having your bum and back chilled on a hot day.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You may well be right about those coals Bill, a tepidarium on wheels? :D
As for heated seats in a car, I found them most satisfying in Iceland - I do like driving the Spirit with the seat heaters on and the window down in winter so I reckon they would be a must in an open car.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Although I've never had the experience, those air scarfs sound like a great idea. If they're just like a hot shower, I'd never get out!!!! :D

Tony66_au

Just to clarify... Julius Caeser said this when described what he did on his campaign against Pharnases the 2nd of Pontus somewhere in Modern Turkey around 50 BC.

Modern bum warmers are a far cry from those in the 70's and 80's and the predecessors of the modern items drew current and drew it HARD hence the thick cables and monster plugs, I remember repairing a set in a Peugeot that drew nearly 60 amps when both front seats were activated.

I had the use of a 407 Coupe at the time and I ended up sourcing heating pads from this model to replace the old units and they drew far far less current around 8 amps each and I would strongly recommend this course of action perhaps sourcing Benz heater pads.

BTW Lovely car to drive the 407 if you didn't mind arguing with the auto which was way too smart for my liking.