6.9 CLACK CLACK rear hub.

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
You may have noticed that I refitted the Bundts, or Fuchs Alloys, to Gleaming Beauty as shown in this picture....

topklasseactivities028.jpg

Compare those Alloys with the ones that have been on GB for more than five years now......

CARDISPLAYDAYS019-1.jpg

Okay, let me say from the outset that, to get the best visual aspect for Gleaming Beauty, the Alloys as in the second picture are absolutely essential. When I first re-fitted the standards, I was disappointed - even the two tone paint seemed to lose any effectiveness it may have. Blackening the tyres did help considerably to the extent that I could almost live with them, but still the after market Alloys take my preference. BTW, as a matter of interest, I do not detect any significant difference in road behaviour between standard and after-market. You're comparing 14" to 18" low profile, and the comfort factor is about on a par. Surprising.

Now, why did I swap wheels and what caused me to do it it ? Simple, after the lay-off of almost twelve months, and about two weeks after GB was pressed into service (maybe three), the right rear hub really developed a very nasty sounding, metallic "Clack-Clack", the frequency being speed depending. I stopped the car to check tightness of wheel nuts etc., and when I got home, I lifted the rear and detected what I think are four badly worn U-joint yokes on the two drive shafts. I carried on for about ten days to a fortnight in the belief that it would be a matter of replacing those with rebuilt units I already had on hand. As a last check, I decided to re-fit the standard Alloys to see if perhaps the after-market rim(s) were causing the Clack Clack and guess what ? Over a thirty kilometer trip, there was not the slightest sign of any noise coming from any of the wheels, even the right rear. Well, that solved the problem, but I was somewhat disappointed, because I really like the after-markets. Just to be sure, I re-fitted just the one after market rim to the right rear and sure enough, the noise came back. So that had to be the problem.

So when Saturday dawned, I had to choose between refitting the standard Alloy to the right rear, or to change the other three and refit the Speedy Alloys. Well, on account of time, I went for the first option, i.e. re-fit the standard item. Just to make things look pretty, some tyre shine/black completed the picture and improved the appearance to an acceptable degree and off I went to the BBQ venue at Michel's. I went out the driveway, put her into 'Drive' and fifty meters down the road, I heard this, guess what ? Clack-Clack, clack-clack....back to the drawing board. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Sad to hear that Godfather. :(

As you probably know, my right rear has developped a "clack-clack-clak" sound since I fitted the new 18in wheels on the 690SEL.

I have not had the chance to further investigate why or whether the nasty noise would go when I refit the original Bundts.

Back to the drawing board indeed :eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well no, BenzBoy, it is also present with the standard Fuchs rim in place, and really this problem has never been evident in days gone by. I guess when one thinks about it - I have never touched those driveshafts in the sixteen years I have owned Gleaming Beauty. Really, that is ample evidence of longevity of components.

Of course, it could be the hub itself, or possibly the driveshafts. Considering that there is a variation in noise when comparing left hand to right cornering, I am inclined to think that it is the large hub bearing. Will have to see. Regards Styria

N.B. Apologies for post by Moderator.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Clack clack - sounds like you've done your drive shaft joints with the vector changes caused by the BIG wheels - just whip them out and send them off for reconditioning. Easy peasy Mr Moderator.
I'd still check the lateral movement in your bearings...
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria did this end up being the same problem as Michel's? Was it the wheel nuts touching part of the parkbrake assembly?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, Michel's problem was relatively easy to fix - the wheel bolts were just a tad too long. Michel actually covered that job in another thread. Regarding the clack-clack on Gleaming Beauty - I have not yet attended to the problem, whatever it is. I am fairly certain that it would be the driveshaft universal joint.
The frustrating bit is that it seems to come and go - no, it takes a while, a bit of driving, before it comes on, and I shouldn't have said it's frustrating. It's just a job that will be attended to. A couple of weeks ago, Mark, you started a thread asking others what works in progress were they engaged in. I've not responded so far, but will do so in due course - as soon as I have a little bit of extra time. Thus, I will divulge what I have in mind for Gleaming Beauty in due course, in that thread. Regards Styria