Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips?

More threads by mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
Hi guys.
Time time to fix those 3 rust spots under my chrome trim on the back window.
I am having the rear windscreen glass popped next week by a professional windscreen guy. I'm giving him the go ahead to cut the rubber in order to (hopefully) get the glass out in 1 piece. Its original rubber, so its been there since 1975. Obvously there will be a new rubber reinstalled when the panel beater has finished his magic.
My question is...........Even tho the glass is being pulled professionally, there is still a big chance of it breaking, ( I am told). Are there any tips, I can relay to this guy specific to the w116 model that may help him? He readily admited, he hasn't done many of this model.
Any info is appreciated,

cheers

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes there is a chance it will break despite every effort to save it. Mind you, every time I have been warned of that, the glass has still come out unscathed.
I don't know where you are in Australia but if you are in Sydney I do recommend Ralph Moore glass who has done the job a number of times.
Regards,
Brian

OP
mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
Thanks Benzboy.

I'm in Melbourne, however I thank you for your reply.
It made me update my own profile to reflect that!
cheers

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi guys.
Time time to fix those 3 rust spots under my chrome trim on the back window.
I am having the rear windscreen glass popped next week by a professional windscreen guy. I'm giving him the go ahead to cut the rubber in order to (hopefully) get the glass out in 1 piece. Its original rubber, so its been there since 1975. Obvously there will be a new rubber reinstalled when the panel beater has finished his magic.
My question is...........Even tho the glass is being pulled professionally, there is still a big chance of it breaking, ( I am told). Are there any tips, I can relay to this guy specific to the w116 model that may help him? He readily admited, he hasn't done many of this model.
Any info is appreciated,

cheers

I concur with BenzBoy about the fact it might break (although the chances are slim, unless the glass man is not experienced).
Don't forget the pictures when the job is done :D

WGB

If it is an original fitting it is likely the rubber and sealant is not going to present too much resistance.

As well as a (small) chance of cracking the screen make sure the C pillar trim is removed and the wires for the heated window (which pass through the seal) detached and left hanging free so there is some chance that it will still work when replaced.

Bill

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Rust that impinges on the glass will swell up and has the potential to crack the glass. I have actually seen that happen.

A leak will happen at the point of the rust anyway.

The sooner you get it fixed, the better.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mr. Kozzy, removal of the rear screen should be quite straight forward - the guy will simply slice the outer lip of the rubber. As WGB indicates, you should remove the 'C' pillar trim which, in turn, requires removal of the rear seat. That in turn will require removal of the trim panel situated internally at the bottom of the screen. Access to the plastic nuts (9mm size) is gained from inside the boot. So, there is a bit of stuff that needs to be removed to facilitate refitting of the screen and new rubber.

Also, make sure that you have some clips on hand that retain the alloy strips to the screen surround. Generally speaking, the old ones will be badly rusted. There are two types of clips, and you will need to purchase those from your dealer. Removal and replacement of the trim strips - be careful with those, as they can be stubborn, and once you bend them or misshape them, that will be the end of a neat fit. To summarize, a job that will take some time, patience and know-how. I can also add the following - whilst you're at it, what condition is the rear parcel shelf in ? Now would be the time for replacement if it has gone powdery, and if you were to have a new one made up, it is just so much easier to re-install the radio speakers. All in all,and I hate to say this or be pessimistic, it's not a nice job. Good luck with it. Regards Styria

Lukas

I managed to crack the rear screen of the parts 450 while trying to remove it. The front came out nicely on the other hand. While the seals on both were not great, they didn't appear to be original, and the warm day + extra gooey stuff that had been smeared on to the seal made things quite sticky.

Can't see a pro having too many issues with it - second the other's suggestions re removing all the applicable interior and exterior trim first. The vinyl-covered bit of the inside trim that houses the rear cabin light will probably also need to come out - it slides towards the front of the car, held in by clips only. That in turn may require / be made easier by removing the side trims above the doors - take off the sun visors and grab handles first. Roof lining is attached to the sunroof tray, so won't fall down - dunno what the deal is if there is no sunroof, but I'd guess something similar.

OP
mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
I'm appreciating the tips from everyone. I'm going to make a copy and give it to the window guy to read, BEFORE he attempts removal.
Thanks to everyone for putting in. I've learnt heeps! :)

OP
mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
Good news. :)
The rear window is out and "in tact".
Repairer has made a start and located the problems. The main one is the rear window rust spot just under the chrome trim. Paint was bubbling and it was awful to look at.
The picture ttached shows the area of the rust spot which has been taken back to metal. From here the repairer will cut out a 150mm square section and replace, so as to totally vanish the rust forever. I didn't want it filled with filler, so I am eager to see the finish with the new section welded in.

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Great job Mrkozzy keep it up :)

OP
mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
Well the job is done and the car has been returned minus those annoying rust spots.
I am happy with the result, and altho the car isn't finished, it's good to know my rust problem is yesterdays news.
I have attached a photo for anyone who's interested. The back window came out without breaking, thankfully and I had a new rubber seal installed at the same time. The front bonnet looks the part and the 2 small rust spots in the doors have come u a treat.
The budget didn't stretch to a "proper" paint job, so the finish you are seeing is "colored undercoat". I am about to have the car waxed to protect it in the meantime, and it'll go back under cover till the next "working bee".
I hope next year to be able to get the re-spray I am looking for.
I must admit, it doesn't look half bad tho!

Attachments

• Before & After petrol filler area.jpg
    Before & After petrol filler area.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Before & After Bonnet repair.jpg
    Before & After Bonnet repair.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 7
  • More rust spots that were removed.jpg
    More rust spots that were removed.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
So mrK, care to enlighten us on who did the repairs?? :rolleyes: Very nice result BTW... Good to see it was repaired properly and not patched up like so many others (only to come back with vengence later). You must feel relieved that you don't have to worry about the problem anymore? :)

OP
mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
Apologies for the late reply "Oversize".

The guy that did the work was;

"YES-BODY WORK"
2 Market rd Sunshine (Melbourne)
Tel; 03 93115181

His name is Khuong (promounced Kung).
Don't let the name fool you. He's more aussie than any of us!

He came recommended from a mate.
I found, it very hard to get panel shops to do rust work at anything like a reasonable price. Some of the prices I was quoted by others was eye popping, to say the least. They really dont want that sort of work and who could blame them.

Khuong has a love of 1940's Packards (or was it Plymouth?) and I saw his own almost complete resto of one of these cars at his shop. From this point I knew the guy appreciates older cars and understood why I was going to such effort.

I hope to be seeing him again early next year, when I take the wifes w108 in for similar treatment. Fortunately its not anywhere near as bad, so maybe I can afford the finished job, topcoat and all.

OP
mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
:):) And if anyone is interested, I've updated the November 16 post photographs to show the full extent of my (now vanquished) rust issues..:):)

Oversize

Grand Master
Is he a 'yes' man?? Usually people from his neck of the woods have trouble saying no.... Hahahaha! Seriously tho thanks for that info mrk. I'm sure oldarmy might also benefit if he can collect his car from all the way down in Maffra....