Rear parcel shelf

More threads by OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
Folks: My friend is seeking a sound parcel shelf for his W116 280 SE. The one he has turned to crumbs when he removed it for re-covering. It matters less the condition of the covering fabric, as that can be replaced (although a good parchment one would be great), but the actual panel (and its first aid lid) needs to be sound. Please advise via here, PM, or email.

Many thanks.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Gordon, in days gone by, I did have a couple on hand. As you rightly point out, the covering (material) invariably turns to "dust" and can become quite an eyesore. Parks did make up a new panel from some type of board, and we'd then use genuine Mercedes carpet like material to cover the board. Remember however, recreating the carpeted lid for the first aid kit is time consuming , difficult and doesn't always fit they way it should. Pretty tricky. The other hassle relates to the refitting of the two speakers as the rear glass makes it difficult to get your hands in with a drill and screwdriver. Allow for plenty of patience when doing this job. There is also, of course, the matter of the curved, usually vinyl covered, strip fitted internally against the rear window. Just another facet adding to difficulty. Regards Styria

braminator123

Aficionado
Just had mine sorted though am sworn to secrecy given the complexity of the job as set out by Styria above.

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_141757.jpg
    IMG_20210829_141757.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
G'day, Brian :)

All well here (now), thanks. Life and health were a tad wobbly a while ago, but those issues appear to have resolved. At 72, bits do occasionally fall off, so I'm not complaining. Given the hard times I gave my body when younger, I'm amazed it's kept going this long. lol

The only real issue here at present is the outrageous unaffordability of living in Byron Shire. We long-term and lifelong locals are being forced out by loaded newcomers (including many covid refugees from the cities – can't blame them for that). The shire now has the dubious honour of having the nation's highest average residential property prices, partly owing to an invasion of 'celebrities'. It seems that if they have a biggish name they have a property here, even if many of them live here for only a month or two each year.

An example: A couple of weeks ago a very ordinary property – unassuming house on one hectare – sold to a [insert derogatory term of your choice] 'celebrity' (a 'culture' I refuse to acknowledge beyond despising it) for $9M. Three years ago the same property changed hands for $1.2M. It's bloody obscene.

The place where I'm living – a 120-year-old wooden former church – is about to hit the market for $2M+, and my rent is set to increase from $350/wk to $550. As an age pensioner there's no way I can afford that: the pension is only $980 per fortnight.

Rentals are rarer than chook teeth and fish feathers courtesy of that other plague known as Airbnb and Stayz.

The property-profit virus has spread right across the Northern Rivers region, and I'm looking at moving at least 150km inland, possibly farther. Even the Central West may be on the cards.

At least I now have only two vehicles to move: my C126 500 SEC, currently under rebuild, and my daily wheelbarrow, a 2003 BA Foulcan ute.

Anyhow, that's my bitch. lol

All is well with you and your machines, I hope?

Have a great Silly Season and may your 2022 be an improvement on the outgoing year!

The same wishes for the new year to all Topklassers!

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Good grief! Leave Byron Bay and flee to the Central West - I am fond of the Central West, especially around Parkes. Splendid isolation and a never ending horizon always take my fancy. All is well here; just quietley avoiding certain air-borne enemies for as long as possible.
Regards,
Brian

OP
OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
I just might do that, Brian, if I can find no suitable abode here in my home turf.

I have very good friends – graziers – about 40 km northwest of Orange, and they've invited me to be a long-term guest while possibly building a dwelling there in Big Sky Country. I've been visiting them for years, since they moved from the north coast.

They're also Benz fans with five 'proper' machines: W124, W116, C107s ... . The main Benz fan of the pair bought his first after he met my first, a W108, about 25 years ago.

Styria

The Godfather
Gordon, it is certainly nice to hear from you again. I fully concur with your chagrin concerning rising property prices, rising rents, and the general unaffordability by those on Government Incomes. I have been to Byron Bay when my youngest son "Parks" got married on an outlying reception venue leaning towards the "Hinterland" area - in other words, a few kilometers from Byron itself.

In most respects, the township itself is a bit of a "Booze Joint" with the local hotel being the main attraction, apart from the parking cops that make a fortune for the Council, street parking is almost unavailable at the best of times, and other than that, it's got very little to offer. I am past the stage of cultivating a suntan as I did forty to fifty years ago, and when it is all said and done, home is where it is and you just try and make the best of what you've got. Regards Styria

OP
OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
Indeed it is so, Styria.

I can't stand Byron the town; it's full of 'Beautiful People' whose faeces has no odour (according to them).

I've spent the past decade+ living in those hinterland hills at Federal. The nearest I get to Byron itself is the industrial estate to see my Benz mechanic mate.

Communities across the shire are being destroyed by the rapid replacement of long-established locals by disparate huitlanders; the place is already Australia's anti-vax capital (not just for COVID), and conspiracy theorists abound. Pete Evans has a huge following here and there are many others like him. The place has more than a fair share of 'sovereign citizens' and other wackos.

A few months ago as I was shopping in Mullumbimby I saw a large crowd of unwashed hipsters and hills hippies outside a health-food store, all looking up while pointing to the sky. There was a condensation trail above, and the fools were all exclaiming that they were being aerially force vaccinated with 5G nanochips from Bill Gates! All while toking on joints, of course (not that I mind a toke occasionally lol).

Oh fer gawd's sake!

You'd be correct if you suggested I might be over it.